I Forge Iron

6" flue for outdoor coal forge?

Hi everyone,

I've read time and time again that flue diameter should be 10"-12". However, the half hood my forge came with was a 6". I'm very new to the whole metalworking thing and I'm not sure how I'd go about making a half hood. Nor where I'd get that much continuous sheet metal within an hour's driving distance. Also, I don't have all that much free time, so as much as possible, I'd much rather spend it learning to forge than upgrading my forge.

My setup is outside and not meant to be permanent, so installing a side draft or similar is not an option.

Right now, I have the half hood set up with about 2' of flue, and that sucks up about 1/2 - 3/4 of the smoke depending on where I'm coking coal. I have another 10' of pipe and a tall cap (opening >6") I plan to install once I get some rebar to support it with.

Will I be alright sticking with a 6" flue? Is it just not worth my time?

I don't have pictures right now, but I can take and post some tomorrow evening if that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Are YOU happy with how it's working?  If so it's fine.  Are YOU unhappy with how it's working? If so it's terrible, change it!  I don't have a hood at all on my outdoor forge and haven't for 34 years of forging; sometimes I wish I did, mostly it hasn't been a problem. Your Mileage May Differ...

Well, I'm not happy with all the smoke I'm breathing in. I'm hoping raising the flue height will improve that, but to be more clear I'm trying to ask if you all think I'll see a substantial decrease in stray smoke by raising my chimney or if 6" diameter flue simply can't capture the smoke of a coal fire.

Edit: also I'm using a hand crank blower so I'm standing very close to the fire. Moreover I can't leave the smoke without stopping cranking

Edited by falsevacuum

A picture or two of your particular setup would help get more informed answers. An outdoor setup is going to be subject to wind which will alter the flow. Just getting 1/2 the smoke up and away is good. Adding another 10 feet may be enough to topple your forge. Personally, I'd try adding another 2 feet and see if it helps significantly, my guess is that what you have may be about the best you're going to get.

With the same side draft hood, in the same location, with the same forge. 6 inch diameter stack did not have enough volume to move much smoke. 8, 10, 12 inch did much better. 14, 16, 18 did not do as well as the 10 inch.

I currently use a 24 inch chimney built specifically around the forge that is in use. It works very well.

You DO NOT need a hood or chimney to use a forge. A breeze or slight wind will work very well in keeping your work area free of smoke. No wind works well as the smoke goes straight up on its own.

The hood should be designed to collect the smoke and the chimney should remove the smoke from the work ares. Use the materials at hand and design a system that works for you.

Edited by Glenn

If adding a larger or higher chimney is not practical, consider putting a fan behind you to blow the forge smoke away from you,  It usually takes only a gentle breeze from it to blow most of the smoke away from you (can keep you cooler, also).  The only problem with a fan behind you is that in winter, it's not very comfortable!!

another Idea ? depending on what you need 

my shop forge 3'x3' with side draft hood & 14" pipe to the outside of the shop wall & then straight up with 8" pipe with a fan in the stack---hence  power draft NO smoke problem LOL

PS -- also takes the extra Heat out of the working area :) nice & cool sort of LOL :rolleyes:

Ok so on the north coast the rest of you need to bring a jacket:D

I'm liking the sound of a pipe with a fan in it. How far up should the fan be?

A fan nearby would definitely be no fun in the winter! It gets chilly here.

I am very worried about structural stability. No problems with the current setup but I bet too much taller and it's liable to topple. I also need to find a setup that doesnt interfere with my path to the anvil. The separate stack might be a good idea (then I can just set it down after use)

20150801_001632.jpg

20150801_001621.jpg

Edited by falsevacuum

You can stabilize the stack by wiring or hose clamping a piece or two of rod to it. Run it from a couple C clamps on the forge pan and up the stack. Not pretty but works. And no it doesn't need to be heavy material, here I'd use some 3/4" angle iron a picked up a couple years ago and that'd be heavier than necessary.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...