I Forge Iron

Huge Press

norrin_radd

Have you all looked through what Scot forge has for forging here in America?   www.scotforge.com  (one of their Metallurgists sometimes posts here as he smiths at home too though with a measly 300#? Bradley hammer...or have you tooled *up* *again* PN?)

everybody aims for the biggest, will see if I can make the smallest useful forging press over the next month or so

Hmmmm. I thought I was the only one considering making a mechanical power hammer out of an old Singer treadle sewing machine.

Frosty The Lucky.

Have you all looked through what Scot forge has for forging here in America?   www.scotforge.com  (one of their Metallurgists sometimes posts here as he smiths at home too though with a measly 300#? Bradley hammer...or have you tooled *up* *again* PN?)

I didnt know anything like this existed anywhere but I checked out that site, pretty cool stuff. Thanks

There is a cool pic here:

http://www.scotforge.com/Learning-Center/Metalworking-Alternatives

everybody aims for the biggest, will see if I can make the smallest useful forging press over the next month or so

I tried building one using a scissor jack and a drill just to see if I could. It didn't work out too well. My welding at the time was crappy at best and my frame wasn't made from sutable material. Other than that an the fact at a cordless drill only has so much power I think it would've work wonders lol.

About 15 years ago one of the SOFA guys was building 2# powerhammer that would fit in the hardy hole and use the anvil as it's anvil.  Also Ptree made a *working* powerhammer he mounted on his hat for a quad-state.  They even heated a pin with a lighter and proved it would forge!

• 1 month later...

The largest press Scot Forge has in operation now is 5500 ton. They have a joint venture on going in New Castle Pa (North American Forgemasters) that is installing a 10,100 ton press that will be able to handle ingots on the order of 200,000 lbs. That press should be up and running by the end of the year. Heating times for large ingots vary by size, but a 30" diameter ingot will take around 24 hours. Larger ingots can take twice or three times as long. The fuel is  natural gas fired box style furnaces, some easily as large as a two car garage.

The Scot Forge website was significantly overhauled earlier this year and now is by far the best in the industry. With nothing more than that website I could teach an entire class on industrial open die forging.

By the way Thomas, yes I do have a bigger Bradley than the 300, a 500) and thought it is in the shop I don't have the motor hooked to it yet.

Good Morning,

The US Government built "the Fifty". It is now owned and used by Alcoa for aluminum and other material. I am posting the link with the history and the manufacturing process. Casting, Machining, Forging, Turning, 200 to 500 Ton pieces. What this means to me, the machine tools and the forges had to be made first, before the process was started. Absolutely AWESOME!!!

https://www.asme.org/getmedia/22448cc7-1dd1-407d-83eb-f9c1183f4757/71-ALCOA-50000-ton-Hydraulic-Forging-Press.aspx 

There are now larger Presses in other parts of the world, I believe now up to 150,000 Ton.

Please enjoy the story and accept it for what it is. It brings a little "Humble Pie" to our dinner plate.

Neil