I Forge Iron

and you think your shop is bad..

I think I'll save the link for folk getting into the craft who think they can't start till they get the REAL equipment. Like real factories it was made up of departments, 4-5 blacksmiths, strikers, I'm sure there were colliers and scrap collectors, the fellow making bolsters. Wanna bet that was cartridge brass? The men and boys making handles and sheaths. I'll bet there was a department polishing, decorating and finishing the blades.

Notice the one fellow making handles missing a toe?

I loved the way the smiths spun the blades on the anvils to change grip. I LOVE watching these guys, it's who we should be taking lessons from.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's great to see how much can be done with so little and with "primitive" equipment. I only dug this up because I just took a custom order this week for a kukri  for a guy in the military and wanted a little inspiration for my design process. I think I got that and a little more. :) It's nice to see that old leaf springs aren't going to waste in Nepal. With luck I'll be starting my billet for this order tomorrow.

-J

J: There is no "primitive equipment" there is just some so fancy a person doesn't need much skill so long as the tooling holds up. It alters one's perspective.

It's the blacksmith that does the work, not the tools. Seriously, it's ALL in our heads.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

J: There is no "primitive equipment" there is just some so fancy a person doesn't need much skill so long as the tooling holds up. It alters one's perspective.

It's the blacksmith that does the work, not the tools. Seriously, it's ALL in our heads.

Frosty The Lucky.

Too true.. :) I've forged with lesser when I was first starting out and was just happy enough to reach an orange temperature.. hehe

-J

We had Mark Pearce do a workshop for us a few years ago.  He volunteers in  Indonesia to help train industrial practices and blacksmithing.  He mentioned one of the first things he does when he goes somewhere is build a work bench.  Often it is looked upon as strange.  However one of the "factories" he visited and taught at was convinced to put benches in on Mark's prompting.  The productivity went up and injuries including time off with sore backs etc. went way down. 

While we can admire the skills used to produce high quality work with almost nothing,  It does come with a price often injuries including repetitive strain injuries.  Very simple improvements in working conditions can help bring people out of poverty and improve their health from workplace injuries. 

Edited by JNewman

True John, the London pattern anvil wasn't developed just to look cool. It came about to do specific work better, faster and easier. Mounting an anvil at the correct height isn't an affectation it's ergonomic and efficient.

Thanks for bringing us back to what's really important John, to learn to do good work we have to remain fit enough long enough. Just because we CAN do a thing doesn't mean we should. I've sat around a campfire, literally sat and forged on rocks or other field expedient anvils but visit my shop and there aren't any tools mounted that low. A person MIGHT be able to operate my LG from a stool IF it were safe and I allowed it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

A person MIGHT be able to operate my LG from a stool IF it were safe and I allowed it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny you should say that, because the video of Kiyoshi Kato I posted yesterday, he swivels right around and has his power hammer there.. I think he does just about everything from a chair.. but that's the Japanese for you, no forethought into efficiency and lazy habits like sitting down when they should be standing to work.. :)

-J

I can sit like that and on occasion have to cram myself into small Gumby spots at work, but thankfully I have the luxury of not being in those positions every day, all day.  I can only imagine how long it takes for their bodies to decide that they're going to stick like that...Sounds like what Ma used to threaten about making faces behind her back.

Don't forget that guy with the small headknife/gouge that was making the sheaths...I wonder how many times he stabbed himself in the chest while learning to handle that thing.

Another thing that I found really cool is how much they use the knives that they're making in the production of said knives.  That is what I would call believing in your product.

Used to be able to squat like that for about 10 minutes. The old ladies (ageema) in Korean markets would sit like that for hours, cigarette in one hand, and conducting business with the other. But I was also given to understand that it has to do with the style of toilet in that part of the world...(modern facilities, but many places used a  flushable slit in the floor instead of the porcelain throne, very rough on westerners, especially if you found yourself using one in a bar...) Couldn't begin to speculate on Nepal.

Love the tools the sheath maker was using. May have to try those out.

Squatie Pottys As my niece called them after spending 5 years in Indonesia!  I did learn that when booking a hotel on main land China to make sure they offered rooms with western plumbing :D

Russell

"Squatie Potty" is a new brand product being offered in the US as a "cure" for lots of Irritable bowel problems.

Frosty The Lucky.

Squatie Pottys As my niece called them after spending 5 years in Indonesia!  I did learn that when booking a hotel on main land China to make sure they offered rooms with western plumbing :D

Russell

Quite a few years ago I traveled around China using the regular long distance busses that the locals use(not fancy tourist ones) it was a fantastic way to see and experience the country. However the public toilets in rural bus depots left a 'bit':D to be desired (locals gawk at you as they have never seen Europeans and a porcelain Squatie is a luxury)you don't even want to walk on the floors never mind start disrobing! And this from a guy that has done quite a bit of traveling in Africa. I was brought up with the ethos of 'cleanliness is next to Godliness ' and Africa seems to have more than its fair share of Godless folk!

Edited by ianinsa

I hear you about restrooms travelling in China.  The worst I have seen was at the border crossing from Hong Kong into China proper.  After wading in I wished I hadn't.

I used to love bumming around 3rd world countries.  I would always seek out boat yards just to see how they were doing things.  What I found was that they found simple solutions to complex problems whereas we in the so called developed countries find complex solutions to simple problems.  Now tell me who is uneducated?

Well I suppose when you're in the 3rd world you mentality allow for it , however on one of my trips to the USA I was unable to find accommodation other than a cheap(really cheap) motel, they said the only had rooms left with shared bathrooms, said to myself 'this is America how bad could it be' ......Well I've slept on the concrete floor of German train platforms while I was backpacking in my youth that were way cleaner.