I Forge Iron

feel sorry for carpenters

hdwarner

The 'downsizing ' of lumber gets pretty nutty when you try to buy 1/2 in. plywood and can only find 7/16in, thickness........or 3/4 in.( which is sometimes 23/32 in. thick.

Also,don't take it for granted that OSB or plywood is square either.(Just because it's in nice 4 x 8 ft. sheets. We've seen some that had to be re-squared to be used.

Mobile home manufacturers have their own dimensions for wall studs or rafters.

Sometimes(not always) what they call a 2 x 4 is a 1&1/4 x 3 in. piece of lumber.

There is a bewildering assortment of size conversions that carpenters have to deal with.

Makes my head hurt just thinking about it!

• 1 month later...

dried? they dont dry lumber anymore :P
semi-kiln junk wholesaled to big box retailers and sold to idiots that best get it into a wall before it actually dries.

Worked for a building materials precycling / architectural salvage project for a few years. What size your lumber is depends on its vintage.

History of Yard Lumber Size Standards (pdf)

Early concepts called for rough lumber to be of a full nominal size often in a dry condition. After World War I, the increasing demand for construction lumber led to the first national size standard in 1924. This was revised in 1926, 1928, 1939, and 1953, while still another revision is proposed in 1964.

(this was published in 1964)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I enjoy a bit of wood working, but the planning makes my head hurt... Once I have all my math done and the project mapped out then I can proceed... not always so with hot metal, I often grab a piece of scrap heat it up and beat on it till something useful comes out with no drawn plan or sketch...

I enjoy working from "native" lumber as when I take logs to a local saw mill I get true 2x4's and 1"X whatevers... I get exactly what I ordered. I also like that my home was built with the same logic although I was only 2 years old when it was built... it has made a few projects amazing easier and a few much harder as you can NOT drive a nail into those wall studs.

What were your studs cut from? I use a minimum 22 oz framing hammer
for 2by 4 studs and a 4 pound for spikes 6-8 inches. If the wood is
so hard that the nails bend i dip the tip in oil or i pre drill , last
but not least u can rub it in your hair ( i do it sometimes lol).of course if i could afford a air nailer i would use it;);)

It is easier to be a blacksmith than a carpenter. If you cut a piece of lumber too short it is always too short. If you cut a piece of steel too short you can always stretch it a bit :)

Thats why there is a major rule in good carpentry. Measure twice cut once. I was putting up boxing on a house once and sent the ground man to cut me a board. I got a little upset when he brought it back to short because he swore he could read a tape measure. So I tell him to go cut me another one and give him the measurement again. What does he do but bring back another one that is still to short. Then he looks at it like it shrunk on the way to me from the saw. Glad I wasnt the boss man having to pay for all the wasted wood. When in doubt get down and cut it yourself. lol.:)

The original lumber in the walls of my home are of various varieties... I have identified tulip poplar, red oak and white oak with a good level of surety. I have a couple rafter truss boards that I swear are persimmon? Other woods may be mixed in as well. My brother in law works construction and has some very nice pneumatic nail guns and he gave up and went to screws as well (drilling pilot holes in some cases). When I remodeled my daughters room (the first room I tinkered with) I found quickly that nails are simply a futile attempt at accomplishing anything productive, the nails that required pulling often ended up being removed via an angle grinder. The man who built our home in 1973 has since passed away so I have no way of knowing where he got the lumber or any other details of interest. All I can tell you is a good many studs are hard enough to resist any good attempt and on a couple cases bent the nail while still inside the nail gun!

Thats why there is a major rule in good carpentry. Measure twice cut once. I was putting up boxing on a house once and sent the ground man to cut me a board. I got a little upset when he brought it back to short because he swore he could read a tape measure. So I tell him to go cut me another one and give him the measurement again. What does he do but bring back another one that is still to short. Then he looks at it like it shrunk on the way to me from the saw. Glad I wasnt the boss man having to pay for all the wasted wood. When in doubt get down and cut it yourself. lol.:)

One job I was working construction on the cut-man had a tape that was almost 1/2 inch different than the tape the guy calling measurments. About a 1/2 dozen boards got cut with each accusing the other of not knowing how to read a tape until it got figured out.

ron

I was working with a guy at a scout camp once my tape measure was pretty standard with each inch broke into 8th of an inch segments... However the other guy had stopped to pick up a new tape measure on his way and after about four boards that didn't come out the right length we figured out his tape measure was broke into 10th of an inch segments! Talking about goofey, it also had metric on the opposite side. It would have worked great if it was a whole inch measurement needed... but the difference between 1/8" and 1/10" is plenty to mess everything up.

So true,
But as with a blacksmith, a good woodworker can almost always
hide his or her mistake. Rule of thump is that fine furniture is not
fine unless its precise to 1 /64 inch, Cabinets and general woodwork
is around 1/32 to 1/16 inch, Barns and houses are 1/4 inch. Those
are the room of error mesurements. Right now i work in the woodtruss
industry and our trusses are off 1/8 inch at the most, If its 3/16 off
then the boss gives you the lOOk lol.

• 2 months later...

Without blacksmiths carpenters would use a lot of pins, trunnels and glue.... and stone tools....

but without carpenters....blacksmiths work outside in the weather with a hole in the ground full of water to quench in.....

play nice... I am a little of each...wood butcher and iron mangler....