I Forge Iron

moved to arizona

WL smith

Well the last time I posted here was march 23 page 1. My screen name at that time was L Smith location N Texas. Now It is WL smith location Arizona. We are having a home built in Apache Junction (4 months). All of my forging equipment is in storage in tx. I have a new laptop and it can't recall my old password since the password is on our old computer in tx. If you read my last post in march we had a cash offer on our house and we accepted and made a fast run here to find a new home. We are living in temporary quarters until our new home is built. Sure hope I can figure out the new changes to this forum! 

We are also in the process of moving to the Phoenix area.  For the near term we leased a place near Camel Back so we could get my son in the high school he wanted.  After we sell the place in California we will either buy or build.  Both AJ and Cave Creek are on the short list.

Grew up in Cave Creek, hear tell heir is a blacksmith suply up their now.

i can imagine, another one of those sudo mediterainian jobs, what dose a mediterainian blacksmith shop look like anyway?!

My  Vote would be cave creek, look up Lorain Burk at the Highs school. (Dont belive but 1/2 what she sayes I aasn't that bad a student!) but but across the stree from Mr Smith would work, lol

Yes Frosty the builder is building a 10x20 shop on the back of the garage. I told him I will have an open flame in the shop so we will see how that goes. I would prefer a separate building for fire safety so we will see what he and the city comes up with!  My wife says 10x20 is too small. How wonderful is that!!

Edited by WL smith
Left out frosty's name

Listen to the Missus, 10'x20' IS too small, 20'x20' is more gooder. Heck I built a 30'x40' shop and it was getting crowded before I got the roof on.

I'm with you, I like a hot shop detatched from the house though masonry walls would be okay.

Oh you DO know we like pictures. Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm starting to get thoughts of the next addition to my 20x60 shop, started 20x30, when it got hard to breathe wedged in between the stuff I went to 20x60 and now I was thinking how nice it would be if I had at least a 20x20' covered screened in porch to have a forge out in...Rock shaker screens for security...

I know a smith in Apache Junction; let me know when you get out there and I'll see of I can introduce you to her.  (She has a real nice iron kiss powerhammer!)

​That ain't no joke, don't do much for the bugs though.

​I keep the mosquitoes from busting through the shaker screens by hanging them from insulators and wiring them 240v. That gets most of the little ones.

Frosty The Lucky.

Did you try hangin' a black light next to the screens every few feet?  I hear bugs are attracted to 'em, 'dunno 'bout skeeters though.  Hmm, you could probably market the system as "The Great Northern Bugfence".  I bet tractor supply would have to carry it up there, as well as Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.

Dad told me they had two sizes of mosquitoes in Alaska. Some were small enough to fly through the screen door , and the others opened it and came in.

A couple of spaced cargo containers, with trusses between them make a nice shop area with inside,, and outside work areas. Plus, when you move you can take them with you.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR