I Forge Iron

pineapple twists

ausfire

A few posts recently have featured pineapple twists. There is probably a list of guidelines on how to make them somewhere but I can't find one.

Nearest I can figure is (1) groove each side of square stock to length required. (2) Twist as normal.

(3) That gives a tight twist but how do get the reverse groove to get the diamond shapes?

Chisel a line down all 4 sides of your square stock, twist any number of times you wish, but remember how many. Then hammer your twist square and chisel another line to match up with your first one, then untwist half the number of your original twist. So if you gave your twist 3 full turns at first, at the end untwist if 1 1/2 turns.

From IFI http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/22769-show-me-your-twist/?hl=+cube +twist

1. if you incise the four sides on their centre line,
  2. twist a known number of times,
  3. then flatten to square, incise again on these ‘new’ sides and
  4. reverse twist half the number of previous twists, and if arranged correctly will give a Pineapple twist or Diamond Twist effect

This post is from 2011. The pics are not there any more. They were usefull. Can they be revived?

I have these texts saved:

From HWooldridge:

Take a piece of 1/2" square. Chisel down the middle of all four sides. Make sure the cuts are centered and run for the same distance - I use center punch marks on each side to help while it's hot. Not much depth is needed, just a clean straight groove. Heat and hammer back to square because it will have deformed.

Now, you will have a piece of fairly square material with a small thin slit on each side. Heat and twist 1 time for every inch of slit area - in other words, a 4 inch slit area gets twisted 4 times. Hammer the twisted area flat so the piece is square again, then reheat and twist in the reverse direction half of whatever you did the first time - the 4 inch example would be reversed 2 times. You will now see the pineapple effect.

You can twist tighter or looser on either first or second pass but take note of the process so you can repeat it. I use the 2:1 ratio because it's easy to remember while I am demonstrating. 

(this picture was there, too, but maybe I remember wrong)

pineapple_twist_ifi.thumb.jpg.ece240bd8a

And from Frosty:

You incise all four faces of square stock equal distance. Twist and keep count, this is important, stop the twist with the faces lined up. Flatten the twist on all four faces returning it to square. Incise all four faces the same distance. Reverse the twist HALF as many turns.

If everything works out correctly the points on the diamonds will line up but a little adjustment may be necessary. these make excellent demo twists, they're actually pretty easy to do but look like magic to folk watching. Even blacksmiths are impressed, especially with a well executed pineapple twist.

I learned something important with this doffer, even though the ladies thought the pineapple twist was attractive none of them liked the way it felt in their hand, the points are too sharp on soft hand. Guys like how they feel but not the ladies.

good to see you back Aus.

Gary Huston has a simple demo on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueFzWuR5HMQ

​Thanks Yahoo2,

Interesting link. That's an impressive way of making the grooves. Looks like a sharpened brick bolster. I have a few of those, so there's another project. Easier to get a straight line like that rather than with a 3/4" chisel.

... Easier to get a straight line like that rather than with a 3/4" chisel.

​You are right ... almost. I have been using a four inch chisel for my grooves. The only problem is that when my hand is not perfectly steady or my eye somewhat off, the groove is crooked for a long time...

good to see you back Aus.

Gary Huston has a simple demo on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueFzWuR5HMQ

I got the idea to do the pineapple twists from Gary Huston's video a while ago. He has alot of good videos.. I tried using the 4" chisel but didn't like it as much as using a handled hot cut. I may have to work on the cutting edge or something..

In my post about that "Salvaged Grilling Fork" I put a link to the vid I did of it and the first 3 1/2 minutes of it is pretty much a close up me attempting a pineaplle twist at about 3x speed. It didn't come out perfect but its better than my last one.

I imagine a 4" chisel would have to be very sharp and the steel very hot (and even heat) to make an impression that long. That's a fair bit of surface to be displaced.

If you ever want to boggle some minds when you're giving a demo, make up a few short blanks step before you go to the show.

One blank (maybe 5" long) is bare and needs to have the first four lines chiseled into it.  The second blank (same length as the first) has been chiseled, twisted, squared up and chiseled again.  All it needs is the final reverse twist to create the pineapple twist.

Don't let the audience see the second blank.

While you're distracting them with talk of magic and dragons, regailing them with stories of your travels to far off lands filled with mystery and danger, swap out the pieces.  All the audience sees is you chiseling in the first set of lines.... then, magically, you pull the freshly heated piece out of the fire and give it a bit of twist to make all those points pop out.  :D:D

It helps if you have a little powdered copper or the like that you can sprinkle over the fire while reciting your incantation.  Kids go all googly when you make the fire change colors!

Interesting link. That's an impressive way of making the grooves. Looks like a sharpened brick bolster.

​I wouldn't say it is sharpened, more like reshaped, it is a fat wedge with a rounded edge it is a stamped groove rather than a cut. It gives the diamond a cleaner crisper look. When watching a video like this it pays to keep in mind that it is a quick and dirty demo of the technique, not detailed instruction of how it should be done.

I've been planning on experimenting with set chisels. My eyes are too wonky to line up a hot cut very well anymore. The nerve damage to my left eye is consistently fooling my brain into thinking things aren't really where they look like they are. I really like doing various twists especially at demos but I'd like them to come out well and not take forever.

Anyway, I'm good if I can sight down the chisel blade or the handle is at 90* to the blade. I'm thinking both might be better. I'm going to make a few experimental hack like cut offs with a little leaf spring I have handy. Various sizes but basically curved edges and a reciprocal curve on the struck end so the hammer is always striking directly across from the edge. Chisels and veiners don't need to be very tall to incise stock, way different than a cut off. I'm also thinking of different possibilities for the handles.

I'll post pics and reports as I tinker.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings all/ Frosty,

What I like to do is after the 4 sided chisel lines prior to twisting file twisted area to a clean surface and sharp edges..  Proceed with the twist and re square. Chisel all sides again and file again prior to the counter twist . You will be pleased with the finished product. If the  edges are to sharp after twisting a little sand paper will dull to taste. Another fun one is on the final chisel scribe omit two opposing sides. Let me know if you like the results. 

HAVE FUN

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

You file sharpen the edges up after incising before twisting and again before the counter twist? Does this make the points on the diamonds sharp or . . . ?

I've thought about fullering the stock before incising and again before the counter twist to see how the diamonds look.

Good grief I'm going to have to start a notebook for pineapple twists!

Cooooool ;)

Frosty The Lucky.