I Forge Iron

Another rail road iron anvil

All the new guys on the rail road anvil band wagon got me to thinking (I can hear Frosty and TP's keyboards smoking as I hit post) why not build a few for demo perposes? I coned TJ Watts into dicing up a 24" peice  of heavy guage for me, 1 peice 12", 2 at 6" and few bits (I'll post the prjects for the rest of the rail later). Every one has seen london paterns carbed out of rail, and most have seen them on end as "post anvils" but this is my take. 

Now I'm solisiting ideas for the other end

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More or less, lol what would you carve out of the other end? I'm thinking bending forks

On the bending fork, I think of cutting a vertical slot in one branch of the flang, say leaving 1/2" out at the edge, and cutting a horizontal slot on the other branch, as the flange tapers from 1/2" to 7/8" (befor. the filet between the flange and web) i belive I will go a head and fuller round the web to make a fuller. That of corse meens a matching strait pein...

I don't see why you want to reshape the other end, I'd leave it as it is, for pieces that are too large for the anvil shaped end.

On the other hand you could grind some fuller shapes into that midsection between the usable areas. Or even a rectangular cutout for an integrated guillotine. That would really be something you don't see every day.

, thanks Stan. Looking for somthing, with less work than carving out a london pattern, would give the beginer that had aqured a hunk of rail would be able to have a multy tool. 

Colto, the small "anvil" is acualy just a small double ended bick opiset the 1 1/2"x 3" " anvil face. Not sure how i would intigrate a guilitene tool, but my thought was to flip the anvil end for end, and enclude again a 1 1/2" x 3" anvil with another set of sinple tools carved into the web and flange. Glenn got me thinking a couple of years ago with "use the whole anvil, you payed for it" 

i am also considering including an inscribed ruller like Steve Sells has on his straitning rail. I think then it is on to the stand...

I still need to think about the other end, i think the horizontal bending fork will not work well, so I need to consider

Thats where I'm leaning, DS. And notch one leg of the flange for a bending fork. What to do with the other leg?

as I have 2 farriers anvils (70& 125#) this is a "what you can do" deminstration peice, a throw it in the horse trailer tool as well as one more anvil for the shop. So brainstorming is appritiated. Some one else may benifit. 

Any one have cool modification to show or suggest?

Colto, while I do like the idea of a built in guillotine, I don't know how practical it would be.

Charles, i do like what you got so far and I'm following this with much interest. I am taking notes and doin some thinkin to see what I might find useful. The turnin forks would a be cool feature even if I never used it lol.

If you drill a hole in the flange close to the web o receive a hinge pin or bolt and another one or two on the other side of the web to accept stock you could include an easy bar shear in the design.

If a guy wanted to get creative grinding I suppose a limited beverly type shear is possible but I'm drawing a blank on how to make that work.

Modifying a piece of rail on end like this is only limited by a person's imagination. I'm a little shocked nobody thought of this sooner or maybe they're keeping mum. This little head slapper moment brought to us by Charles shows brain power in action.

Thank YOU Charles, brilliant thinking!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

That permanently fixed cut off gives me the willies. I can see it as a dedicated cut off fixture, but I'd be cautious about forging with it there uncovered. I think if I went that route, I'd devise some sort of cover for it when not in use.

I think you're having just too much fun with this Charles. It's a brilliant job of blowing the whole RR rail isn't a "real" anvil argument out of the water. That Brother is as real an anvil as I've ever seen, a serious multi-tasker.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Great thread! I will have to keep this link ready to paste when ever I see someone using just an old mundane slab of track. I have been tripping over a piece of track just about this size in my shop for a couple of weeks planning to make a post anvil, this is definitely some great inspiration. Looks really handy.