I Forge Iron

Alldays and Onions

Greetings,

I believe I have found an Alldays and Onions Anvil here in the US. Are these rare, I cannot find anything about them.

I have Trenton's, a Peter Wright and Many more. This anvil ears the Mark 3 3 24 and has the stamping on the feet as well. My Peter Wright has the weight mark and the name on the side. This I believe Alldays has a smaller fatter stubbier horn not like the Peter Wright Pattern.  Document4.docx

On your fleaBay ad, you state that it has no makers mark, and yet you want several grand for it at $5/lb. I call your post chumming the waters.

An unmarked anvil is just that: unmarked. Any conjecture as to its rarity and provenance is just that: unsupported conjecture.

It could be any of several hundred makers, but I could find no images or conversations online about A&O anvils. Power hammers, swage blocks, forges and bellows, yes. Anvils no.

Edited by John McPherson

Not my ad, found on E-bay and contacted the seller who stated it was an Alldays (the seller lives in Kansas would save me freight). As far as chumming I am afraid not, no logic in living by pure assumptions. Looking to buy a large anvil found one and thought I would ask (thus the whole joining I Forge Iron to seek out information from others that might know a thing or two).

Large anvils in my area are as rare as hens teeth. Would like to have one for my shop.

Probably be up to our UK friends to speak about  A&O and if they made anvils.  I have seen bellows and forges made by them so an anvil is not a stretch even if it's just stamped with their name and made for them by another company.  

I would check ring and the ball bearing test and not worry about names; names are often used as a reason to gouge but I'd not pay a dollar more for a *RARE* anvil than for a common one if they were the same size and same condition.  Shoot we were pounding on a Powell today!

Took me a while to find my main shop anvil but I am very happy with a mint Fisher anvil made for a Blacker powerhammer and weighing in around 515# of course paying under a dollar a pound sure made my face hurt!

For that kind of money I would buy a Nimba Gladiator myself.

Thanks for the feedback, Thomas. I have Postman's first edition and do not know if he made additional additions where this could have been covered (identifying post 1998 Anvil discoveries like A and O). Does the Nimba compare to the older models (note I see the waist/width variance with the Nimba)?

John, forgot to add in your previous rant; were you stating I was merely supporting a conjecture or did you cross thy wires and meant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoBE-E8VOc . As a professor I have to swim through the mediocrity of laymen terms to find the routes beyond the stupid sauce of the Google nation. Best to you and all respect to, I Forge Iron. Lindsey

I can confirm that alldays and onions did make anvils, or at least had them made on their behalf, there was one on UK eBay in the last month, no idea about size or quality, it looked cast to me but that's all the information I have and its the only one I've ever seen.

Lindsey, I apologize if that was not your anvil for sale, we have had a few instances of folks trying to skirt around the tailgate rules and stir up interest by posting as observers. The low post count/flash in the pan account always seems to accompany that sort of thing.

Must be getting paranoid in my old age. If it were not past the deadline, I would go back and change the wording.

I've seen one alldays and onions anvil on ebay. It was maybe 100lbs and looked remarkably like a cast iron ASO. It was certainly cast as the name was raised. 

A&O made all sorts of things from blowers to forges and anvil stands. Though I've no idea if they ever did an anvil that size. 

that anvil in your link is almost certainly forged. The feet suggest a Peter Wright or something similar. It looks nothing like the A&O anvil I saw. 

Andy

Edited by Everything Mac

hi  allday and onion  was a large manufacture in uk    they made  many many thing   forging ,  foundry  steel rolling mills, cars ,motor bikes     the company still are going      

i think now it has a new name   but they make huge fans for  moving large amounts of air   , 

here is the older cars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alldays_%26_Onions

this firm   was part of the  industrial revolution  ,that spear headed  us in to our world , now   that we live ,

many firms  have  past by the side , some survive ,

the history of the metal man ,

remember   no angle grinders  no   drill press   

only  thought of mind ,eye to hand,, hand to sledge

made the metal man