I Forge Iron

any know what is up with Anvilfire ?

Dogsoldat

Hello,  about a month or so ago I bought some ITC100 from Jock @ Anvilfire.  spoke to him on the phone - real nice guy - very helpful.  when I had some questions he answered my emails promptly.   i had one more questions and wanted to buy some wool but the website ordering system wasn't working so emailed him.  long story short 3 weeks later and a few emails no response - now the website certificate is expired and some of it was not working for me.  I ended up buying the wool  elsewhere and it came today so it made me wonder what is up.  Just thought i'd ask.  maybe it is just coincidence, maybe he is just super busy in his shop.   

from another site:

Latest on Anvilfire

"OFF LINE!!

Our server host JTLNET was broken down for a week (April 3-10). We have moved to a NEW server.

Due to software and OS differences we are seriously broken

Posting is not possible and all of our newer pages do not disisplay (the old stuff works but not the new - so much for "improved technology") We and our new server techs are working on it all and should be up and running again soon."

So; you can access a lot of stuff if you know where to look, but it's not interactive yet.

Naw Frosty, we suffered through several OS/Hardware upgrades on Anvilfire before IFI started up. It is just the nature of the beast coupled with Jocks wish to do things himself; all custom software needs to be reviewed and tweaked when the underlying base changes.

We've lost some sites over the years due to hardware/software issues that the site owners decided the game wasn't worth the candle!

I really wonder how many people here have turned off their own machine update features? I hear many are upset, but your home computers have weekly updates, and most update quietly every week or so,  but we have many machines to sync and larger hard drives too, sorry it is so out in front, its annoying  on this side of the equation also.

Anvilfire isnt the only one, a few other sites all went down at the same time that Anvilfire did,  Rumor is they were on the same machine and it died...

Well on my previous box I ran Fedora core 1 with no updates for 10 years.  It did what I wanted it to do...I changed it when the motherboard stopped doing what I wanted it to do; not a bad run for a $100 computer...(that system was on a slow dial-up, rural NM, so I didn't need all the bells and whistles and in fact they got in the way...)

Jock has posted that their server provider had stopped paying their net bill without telling any of the people using them and so a large number of sites were suddenly cut off.  Some of them then requested a grace period to be able to pull their data and it was granted. They now have to find a new provider and try to get their sites back up.  Computers, everything is ephemeral when you want stability and nothing is ever lost when you want it to gracefully disappear---those pictures of you in the live action Rocky Horror you did in college?  Your great great grandkids will still be trying  to explain them to their children who made the mistake of searching the net for an image of  you...

Sorry guys I was making a joke about IFI being a trend setter and shouldn't have. I was trying to lighten the mood, not raise an issue. I understand upgrade issues as an end user trying to undo the the changes in my settings the manufacturers keep changing to THEIR preferences. I don't know who's upgrade slipped through but it turned the automatic upgrade settings back on on every darned thing I run. Better still it seems to have hidden that part of my control so I can't find it to turn them back off.

I'm sure it's right in front of me somewhere but camouflaged under a bunch of frankly useless BS my dented head isn't up to sifting through. The up(?)grades I'm suffering through are more destructive than good, I can't help but think of them as malware bought and paid for by the enemy.

Sorry about the rant, I really just wanted to apologize for the poor timing or taste with my little attempt at humor. I really appreciate how hard you guys are working and have a little understanding of how hard it is to get overly complicated . . . stuff to do simple things.

I just wanted to put a brief smile on your faces. That's all, really.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty. IForgeIron and many sites do try to keep up and keep current. Others not so much as it takes time and effort for even a single patch or minor revision. And we are not talking about the major upgrades or soft wear revisions.

When you have multiple web sites, or host other sites, the problem compounds itself.

one update here at home took away my approval screen for Ubuntu14.04 in IBM-I5 

I used to have to approve every web page being accessed, I have a few like my own web page allowed, as well as most the privs for IFI, but the others I have to allow or not all java and things separately as a security precaution,   well not any more, its all  allowed and I dont like it, I cant get the seem to get the option back either.

Glenn: Do you or anyone else know if ABANA site is in similar straits? I just heard it's down or hopefully just not responding but I don't even know who their server is. Guys on Theforge.list are asking and if the list mom on Theforge doesn't know. . .

Frosty The Lucky.