I Forge Iron

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words . The rabbit was a lot of fun . I am working on the rotating base next. am going to use part of a small jack operated crane as the rotary part as the eagle will be about 12 foot off the ground so may be subject to wind gusts. so I am opting for strength over smooth rotation

Jacques. you wanted to see my junk (treasure & uncut diamonds ) pile . these are old photos both piles have tripled in size.. BUT the hard bit is being able to go straight to the part you need without wasting too much time

IMG_0001_391.JPG

IMG_0001_381.JPG

I am once again almost speechless. ... 

Frosty The Lucky.

​Time and again, I have mentioned my amazement for your work. My coming back with the same words of praise would be repetitive. But that you have made Frosty speachless and not only once ("again" he says) is as high a tribute as one can express and must be noted.

You have set a standard sir. From now on whenever you or someone else produces a work of beauty, the highest praise will be : "Ah! so beautifull as to make frosty speachless!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

Just caught up with this one after being offline for some time.

Like everyone else here, your work just astounds me. You get the proportions just right and the fluid movement of your designs makes it hard to believe it's all junk.

You must have some rough country at your place to use up so many mower blades. Or maybe you have a mate in a mower shop. I keep the bent blades off my Greenfield too - but only a couple of sets a year. I recognise so many of the pieces you use.

I like the pic of your scrap heap. Very similar to mine. Funny how the piece you want is always at the bottom, and how that scrap has an amazing ability to intertwine itself to make pulling pieces out a real pain.

Love those little chicks - the Holden jacks make great bodies.

Thank you AUSFIRE  I didn't know they were holden jacks they seem quite old . Which model used these? With regard the scrap pile I now have a problem that my pile of "good bits" is now 4 layers thick and I cant find any thing. I will have to spread it out over a lot bigger area and see if that works. I just retired from a Shire Council job that's how I was able to get the  worn out mower blades . I think I have enough to build a squadron of Wedge tails! cheers mate  

I think a lot of early Holdens used those jacks. I have an 1962 EK Ute and its original equipment included one of those screw jacks. The old FJs had them too so I think every model in between would have.

Have you finished the Wedgie completely now? Would like to see a pic of it in its final resting (or roosting?) place.

Thank you Ausfire  for that info on the car  jacks. I don't deliver it  to the buyers until November when the  Katamatite community is having  a sculpture festival. I ve dragged it out of the shed to paint with penetrol and get a bit of weather on it to reduce the shine . I will put some pics up today or tomorrow. cheers mate!

Andrew, what do you think of Penetrol? I find it's OK for indoor stuff but doesn't last in the sun. We use Rustmasters (Google) which is really good solar resistant stuff.

And that Penetrol turns to jelly if left on the shelf a while. do you mix anything with it? (Marine varnish perhaps?)

Andrew, what do you think of Penetrol? I find it's OK for indoor stuff but doesn't last in the sun. We use Rustmasters (Google) which is really good solar resistant stuff.

And that Penetrol turns to jelly if left on the shelf a while. do you mix anything with it? (Marine varnish perhaps?)

​Well Ausfire as I choose to have a rusty patina (no shiny metal) I use the penetrol to give a darker and with time a matt finish . I explain to the buyer that in non coastal area the artwork will last 100 years. I don't mind it revertying back to the rust colour but if they choose they can do a 2 yearly maintenance by applying another coat . I have found that after a few years they too are happy with just rust!

Edited by scrapartoz
syntax