I Forge Iron

Curses, Frosty! Keep your cold in Alaska!

SpankySmith

Frosty thought we might all like to experience some of that cool Alaska weather....NOT!

I'm in ALABAMA, seat of the Deep South, and this is my quench bucket today. Frozen solid by Frosty's Alaskan Artic gift. 5 degrees this morning with -8 windchill. Curses! Keep that stuff up Nawth!

post-53103-0-77980100-1420756811_thumb.j

Weren't you complaining about it being too hot to work in the smithy a few months ago Spanky?

While it's tempting to tease you folk about not knowing what cold is I'll spare you. Cold is how you feel, where ever you are, the numbers on a thermometer are just numbers. Dress warm, mind the wind chill, it'll kill you MUCH faster than straight temperature.

Empty that bucket Spanky or ice expansion will bulge the bottom and spring the joints turning it into a watering can. That goes for ALL you getting hit by freezing temps you aren't used to. In winter I pack a 5gl. water jug to the shop and dump the slack tub when I'm finished. I've ruined too many letting them freeze. Floating a piece of ply wood on the water will help keep it thawed longer, the colder the air the drier it is and the faster water evaporates which chills the water. I've seen examples of plastic gold pans split by water freezing in them, nothing's safe.

Wear thermals, cotton next to your skin holds moisture so you'll chill faster. NO synthetics on the outside, hot stuff will melt it and deep fry you. Cotton or better yet wool on the outside. Layers are a good thing but you have to be able to move so loose layers are a must.

NO, do NOT put on an extra pair of socks! The extra pressure, little as it might be will slow circulation and you're feet will get colder faster. Lace your boots/shoes loosely, almost snug is plenty, wool or poly propylene socks are excellent. Same rule for gloves, one pair but if it's really cold and you HAVE to stay outside mittens are WAY better. A pair of really large mittens can be worn over gloves so you can use your fingers and still keep them from freezing. Just remember to put the mitten in your coat if you take it off so you'll have a nice warm place to put your paddy.

Hats are as vital as good footwear, your head radiates most of your body heat on any given day. (I've heard 90% for years but I don't have the real number so that number is hearsay.) Regardless there's an old saying here, keep your head and feet warm and you'll be warm. That's true in my experience. A good wool knit cap is a much beloved piece of gear, a Balaclava /  ski mask is excellent if you're out in the wind but a scarf will serve and you can double up where you need it.

Be warm friends, it's cold out there. Save the toddies till AFTER you're inside for the night! Alcohol WILL KILL you in the cold just check Alaskan stats on the subject of exposure deaths.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good advice, every bit of it. But..i'm thinking hibernating until Spring sounds like a better plan!

I forgot to mention stay inside unless you have to go out? Hibernation is a good option, lots of us believe in.

Frosty The Lucky.

To ad to Master Frosts advice, for those o us that did not grow up in the cold, do not work so hard you sweat, the moisture in your clothes will do you in when you stop working. Below the Mason/ Dickson you may well be stick with synthetic or cotton long-handles, cotton is better in the shop, but don't sweat! If you are cold standing around, your probably dressed about right.
As to shoes, break out your overboots as they will give you an extra layer. Its common to use moccasins with felt liners up north when its dry cold and overboots with liners (not boots) when its wet, but your over boots, a pair of dress socks (or the wife's nylons) and a pair of your socks. And your regular shoos in your overboots. Your socks and shoes will get wet from your sweat. Change them.
The 90% figure comes from normally dressed folks at room temp, not nude. But a hat will help keep your hands and feet warmer (and your thinking clearer) as your body will restrict blood flow to the extremities (hands, feet and head) to keep the core temp.
I may have grew up in The desert but i attended mountain warfare school in the alps during the coldest winter on record (at the time) and frost nipped my hands and feet in GraffansveirGermany. Been their done that. Sub zero wind chills this morning hear in OK. Bring in the yappers so they don't freeze.
One note of advice, cut back the caffein and stay hydrated, it will get you in trouble in the cold to.

I just had another thought about life in COLD country for folks not so blessed. Keep survival gear in the car! A few blankets aren't likely to do if it's 5f and blowing but it's sure better than what you're wearing. It's so automatic I don't even think about it, sometime in spring or summer I'll take it out for the space but it goes in when the leaves start falling.

Deb and I have serious cold weather gear and are usually wearing whatever's appropriate to the day. As a rule of thumb rescuers will find you IN whatever you were wearing at the time of the accident, all the survival gear in the duffel in back is usually still there. However, we're seeing news footage of hundreds of vehicles stranded in drifts of blowing snow, bunches of fender benders but surprisingly few serious wrecks.

In those conditions it WILL take time for the plows and wreckers to get it cleared and you out. EMS will be up to their eyeballs in real emergencies so it behooves us to NOT be one of those emergencies. So you're just going to have to sit there and wait, getting out and walking is almost NEVER a good idea. If you were dressed for a walk you'd be warm enough in the car.

By all means pack some blankets, fold 2x or more one way, roll them, place them in a plastic trash bag and use the vacuum cleaner to suck them as dense as possible. Use a twist tie to seal the bag, plastic bags are WAY too valuable as survival gear to just tear up if you don't have to. Using the vacuum to compress blankets will let you put 3-4x in the same space. The same goes for down or hollow fill parkas AND sleeping bags. A good sleeping bag for each passenger is great but you can double up if it's not a mummy.

Wool blankest are IMHO the best, they're warm if wet and wick moisture away as it forms. Having blankets beyond enough good personal survival gear can save lives in other people's vehicles. Wrap kids in the same blanket with you or other kids. Shared heat is way better than double the cover. Same goes for packing the vehicle with as many folk as can comfortably fit.

Pack some food, nothing fancy but carbs are good fuel, granola bars, mixed nuts, dry fruit, Pilot Bread, and such are good, last long and are filling. However there's a problem with packing tasty food in the survival pack, folk tend to snack on it so it's gone if/when you need it. Canned isn't so good, it freezes and you need an opener though there are exceptions that are great for long term survival. I mention long term survival as opposed to getting stuck in a snow storm type short term. For short term you want to generate some extra heat so pack some carb rich stuff.

Hand warmer packs are very good to keep in the car but no replacement for gear. And FORGET a fire no matter what it's in CO will finish everybody off surprisingly fast. The same goes for running the engine, it's really dangerous especially if you're stuck in the snow where the exhaust has  nowhere to go but filter through the snow into the cab. Running the engine for 10 minutes or so every half hour will keep the cab temp up and allow exhaust to dissipate safely. The engine won't cool enough to make a difference so it'll blow warm air right away AND your fuel will last a LOT longer if you have to over night.

Just stay home if you don't have to go out but if you do, dive slow and remember Mr. Brake pedal is NOT your friend! Ah, never mind, driving on slick roads is another long post. Just be careful friends.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pack the trunk as Frosty listed above from September to April. Include flashlights and at least 2 sets of batteries per light. Add a roll of brightly colored survey flagging to attach to the antenna or high point to draw attention to your location.   

Dry sand in the trunk will add some weight to the wheels as well as provide traction if scattered in front of the tires. Tire chains are good if you know how to put them on and use them. 

A credit card make a dandy ice scraper for the inside of the windshield. Fits the curve of the glass well.

Plan for the worse and expect the best.

Jerry, you and Deb would feel right at home in my truck, lol. Both under boxes have survival and recovery gear, lol. Cab has some behind the seats.
Might I add, despite uncle sam and the grain industry fat is your friend, at nearly 400
Calories an oz. fat free has no place in your 72 hour kit.
Tie a Bright colored flag (bra?, sorry Sandy has some day glow ones ;-) tied to the antenna or to a stick can save your but, think snow bank, snow plow and blizzard. Even after the storm is over they might not find you until things start to thaw. And the snow insulates the car, this is a good thing.
For those of us not up north, your sweats really suck as outer wear, but cheap tyvek coveralls and booties can make them in to good base layers.
Sorry Frosty, just gave the the kids the same lecture (this year makes , oh the 5th or 6th time) and you are seriously stimulating the old brain pan.

I keep everything I need in my backpack...and right now thats all I have! 40 LBS of gear keeps me rolling all year and safe in any weather the Continental U.S. can throw at me. Layers and keeping from sweating in the cold are a must. Started sweating?...stop and drop a layer. We will see how well I am outfitted come spring when I head to AK though....I think I will need some slightly better waterproof boots, mine are getting pretty worn by now.

Back when I did a goodly number of trips through the Poconos in the dead of winter I kept an army surplus down sleeping bag, a couple of the 8 day candles and good matches well protected.  For food I had some C rats, (I said *back*!)  Nowadays I would carry some MREs.  The candles will warm up a car surprisingly well and you can use them to melt snow in a sierra cup rather than use your own energy to melt it.

No one has mentioned a good book, one on survival and one just to read to pass the time. 

Pack a 50 foot section of para-cord for the obvious tie downs. Use it as a locater beacon and tie it to the door handle before you leave. The cord will act as a life line to finding your way back to the car.

I guess the day glow bra would get more attention from rescuers than a pair of droopy ole boxer shorts. (grin)

Still I can just see me trying to explain to MY wife why I have a day glow bra (not in HER size) in the vehicle. But honey, Charles R. Stevens, a blacksmith and farrier, told me it was a good idea. No need to worry about heat in the car as the wife will heated up enough to keep both of us awake while she blows off steam, which could take several hours.

Dont stick your tongue on your anvil.
If you cant get the car started cause of a weak battery you can place the battery in the sink with hot water to warm it up. A battery below freezing loses over 50% of its cranking power and it only gets worse the older the battery and the colder the temp.
As Frosty said just stay inside. It usually only lasts a few days.
I dont know about you Frosty but I would prefer to have the snow cause without it you really notice how short the daylight hours are. The snow reflects so much ambient light that it really doesn't seem too dark.

Now, my friends is a good time to travel...... to the southern side of the world. Spanky that bucket of yours would have been fantastic in my pool yesterday :)  . To put it another way, "welcome to frost free Durban" p.s. Bring good sunblock. :)

So take her shopping, or buy yourself some hot pink boxers, ;-)
And might i recommend toilet paper? Keep it and a few other essentials in a coffee can. I hesitate to mentian the fact that undiluted antifreeze is flammable, and a role of toilet paper makes an excellent wick, under no circumstances should you try this in your car.
Much of the advice for your car applies to your home as well. Power outages suck, all the more so when the heat goes out. (Note, electric can openers suck)

Okay, good advice all of it, but ya'll are missing my point... which is to BLAME FROSTY FOR THIS!!!   LOL!!   I'm convinced he and his cohorts have a REALLY heavy duty Buffalo fan or some such thing that's pushing all his cold down our way.  STOP!  Cease.  Desist.   I've had enough already, I surrender. 

I want my 100 degree days back, please.  At least when it's 100 I CAN forge... 8 degrees it's impossible.  At least for me. Brrr.... we southern women are delicate, we can't take this much longer. 

And look at the weather forecast.  It always amazes me how many people head out on trips when storms are coming right at them.  I know some trips are vital, but most can be postponed until the conditions are better.

This reminds me of an image I found on FB recently

post-38-0-40023100-1420811263_thumb.jpg

As unpleasant as these current weather patterns are, they are actually more normal for us in Nebraska. The comparatively balmy winters of the past few years have spoiled us and given support to those that believe the global warming myth. LOL

Scott

Yep, Dodge. Around here it think its the same idiots every year. They just change brands of suv. Let me give you all a clue, it isn't the trucks fault you are an idiot, 4 wheel drive, with or without chains isn't proof against ice and snow, it just improves your chances of getting out of the ditch when you screw up. Absolutely no help when you go off at 70 and end up upside down.
I exempt those of you from the deep south and southwestern deserts of the US and of course or tropical state, and territories. As for the rest of the world, you are exempt to, only your countrymen have the right to condemn your driving (tho you Italians still scare me).