I Forge Iron

business card strike rate

Do you know roughly the ratio of how many calls/emails you recieve from business cards taken at fairs/demos? E.g 1 call/email from every 100 cards.

For the sake of arguement let's say a month after the event is long enough for someone to call/email you.

I don't know... but it is likely to be very close to ZERO!  It is generally good practice to run some sort of drawing for a give-away item or prize at such events.  The sign up should require contact info and anyone with interest should be encouraged to enter!  The resulting list of prospects can be good to work for about a year!  After they leave make notes of what kind of things they were interested in so that you can talk with them later as if you remembered the conversation perfectly!  This is standard salesmanship and it really WORKS!!!  

about 0.5%...if you check the bins at the event you will find many business cards and brochures there. 

However,

If you look at web traffic (assuming you have a website) you will see a large blip the evenings of the event and for a few days after and another about four-8 days out when folk clean out the wallet or pitch the event literature.

Ric

Cards are something of an afterthought these days - as Ric says, they are simply a convenient way for people to remember your website and/or email address.  I did the craft show route for many years and the only repeat customers I got were the ones who came back to that particular show.  On the other hand, I always got a lot of visitor traffic to my website (which I closed down last year since I'm semi-retired from the trade).  I subsequently believe anyone who doesn't have a website in 2014 or in the future is at a great disadvantage - business cards don't need to have anything on them aside from your basic contact info.

Just a thought, but one thing that I notice most blacksmiths don't do that they should is to put their touch mark on their business card, and website.

Even better if it's embossed on the card.  A major selling point of blacksmithing is that it's hand made by a professional.  The touchmark is a very tangible indicator for customers to latch on to.

Do you know roughly the ratio of how many calls/emails you recieve from business cards taken at fairs/demos? E.g 1 call/email from every 100 cards.

For the sake of arguement let's say a month after the event is long enough for someone to call/email you.

I've had people contact me from a card years after the event, they liked something and either saved up for it, or waited until they needed it like in a house move or for a special gift.

It's one of life's unquantifiables, I used to change business cards/brochi=ure designs so I new roughly when the initial contact was made.

I think the longest one I had was a little old lady who had saved up for nine years to purchase one of my items, she even quoted the price in the brochure she brought along to identify it, so I let her have one at the price she had saved up for, the loss in monetary terms was not major, but her joy in owning something she had saved for more than made up for that.

Success is not a monetary yardstick in my book, and I got more work from people she had been proudly showing her new acquisition to, but she did inform them of the time lapse and a "possible" price rise.

In another perspective, at least my scrap had been converted to a valued item.  Money had changed hands, and until that happens all you have is scrap, may be [pretty, may have taken a lot of time and effort, but until money is traded for it, it is only scrap value at current market rates..

I've had people contact me from a card years after the event, they liked something and either saved up for it, or waited until they needed it like in a house move or for a special gift.

I've found similar results with my cards from my contracting business. All of the sudden out of the blue I'll get a call from a person who tells me they talked to me years ago and got my card, or that they got my card from another old customer long after the work was done. I consider it "found" business, and the $10 I send on 500 or so basic cards isn't really all that bad. It's a business write off for advertizing anyways. Even if I only get 1 customer out of the 500, I end up a head.

I just had another 500 new cards printed up, both for my contracting business, as well as for my blacksmith/metal work, so I have something to hand out for the demo at the Grange fair next week.

One thing I have found out when doing expos, fairs etc. Just leave out a minimal number of cards/ brochures. This tends to limit the tire kickers who simply grab one of everything that passes in front of them. If they see only a few, they often don't bother to grab one. Also it helps cut down on the guys who grab a dozen or so if they only see a few. I've also seen people who put their card / brochure under a clear plastic display board. The information is there for anyone seriously interested in taking it down, and usually they keep the extras behind the table and hand them out when someone asks for a card. Again it helps prevent going thru tons of cards/brochures that will just end up mostly in the trash, and usually when some one takes the trouble to ask for one, they are at least semi interested in something. Also it means there is always something out on display, should the last one get grabbed off the table and you don't notice it right away. Down side I've seen to having nothing out for someone to grab on their own is that if you are busy talking to others, many who would have stopped and asked for more info, often just pass by intending to stop back later. Many times this is very true with parents of small kids who can't really stand around and wait too long for a break in the conversation, but are too polite to but in and interrupt what could be serious.

A few good friends who often do shows for their businesses have had reasonably good luck with the printed fridge magnets. The flat business card ones don't seem to make a big impression, but the shaped ones seem to end up getting used rather than trashed. Kids seem to like the shape of a colorful truck, flower, horse shoe ( runs a riding school) etc ( anvil shaped ones would probably be a big hit) and they get used to hang up art work on the fridge etc, so the your information is in front of them daily, even if they don't need your services today.

Mostly my cards ride around in the truck with me. I try and keep 2 dozen of so in both trucks at all times. I hand out more to the occasional person who sees what I do and stops to ask me if I have a card or for my number. The other biggie is handing out cards to current clients. I get 95% of my work by referral from existing customers. I give each customer 2 or 3 cards when I give them the final bill, and mention that if they are pleased my work, quality and craftsmanship, that they do me the favor of passing on my card to any friends or family who show an interest in what I did. I have had several who have called me to ask if they can have a few more cards since they have given out the ones I gave them.

Just a thought, but one thing that I notice most blacksmiths don't do that they should is to put their touch mark on their business card, and website.

Even better if it's embossed on the card.  A major selling point of blacksmithing is that it's hand made by a professional.  The touchmark is a very tangible indicator for customers to latch on to.

Fantastic idea....

A friend who does jewelery only passes cards out to those who buy, or are very interested. Everyone else gets put on an email list, and likes her on FaceBook. When she goes to an event she just emails, and FB's everyone the day before, and the day of the event. She does really well with this method of promotion.

I need to make some cards up because I an constantly asked for mine. Not so much for smithing, but just basic contact info. I am interested in so many different things I meet lots of people from many different backgrounds.

Biggundoctor,  I think you're absolutely right about process pics and commentary.  Speaking for myself, the "Birth of a tool" series on youtube for John Neiman tools had me hankering for one of his axes.

I think we've reached a point where so few folks get any real exposure to the creative process that it's become an almost visceral experience to see how something's made.

Also, capturing the "spark" of a person happy in their craft ties the item to the hand that made it.    

I like to use my business cards as price tags on objects.  Punch a hole in the corner and thread a looped piece of string through it.

That way people who actually bought my work have a card!

Having your contact info on it is a massive time saver; I tend to hand them out all over too.

Note having a nice card helps the perception of you as a "real" business

I started reading this thread because I've been driving myself nuts trying to get my old card to print on this hideously over complicated with bells and whistles Windoz 8 computer. Its a really basic card, a blurb about what I do and contact info, Ive been handing it out for a good 30 years only contact #s have changed. I'm not in business but it's good to have a card so folk can get in touch. I mostly only teach anymore. It's killing me, the templates cut off the bottom of the last row of cards or if I reduce the # it removes the upper margin and cuts off the tops of the first two rows.

Okay, enough whining, sorry.

I'm seeing some great ideas, embossed cards and logo shaped fridge magnets are killer ideas. One I thought up seeing as I may have to completely redo my card is adding a little color to the graphic and holographics are getting to the really inexpensive stage so flickering forge fire may be a good way to keep a person's attention on the card.

Sorry about the rant I'll go beat on some poor steel and remind myself of what actually counts.

Frosty The Lucky.

I often keep business cards in my wallet so the magnet idea would probably mess with credit cards and such.

Frosty, you're right about printer formatting.  If there was one industry that needs an overhaul, (and possibly an exorcism)  it's the consumer level printer manufacturers.  

I don't think it's the printer, I think it's the software and OS you want to print from that needs filtering. Seems every software company has a bunch of ITs who have to do SOMETHING to justify a paycheck so they keep coming up with ways the software can do their idea of cool things instead of just doing what you want. Oh wait, the HP business card templates are just as hopeless.

Manuals and stuff have always been written is bassackward geekish but now they're primarily legal butt covering and ooh shiny sales pitches. Pages and pages of disclaimer followed by all the oh so COOL things it'll do and not a word about how to do a thing.

ITs, bean counters and pitchmen! ARGHHHHH!

Frosty The Lucky.

Vistaprint.com makes DIRT CHEAP business cards that look fantastic.  I've used them several times for various reasons, their site makes configuring and ordering a snap.   It also makes ordering "other" things easy because they maintain your design, so if you order cards and then decide you need a banner (for like a craft show or whatever), piece of cake to order one that matches.   It meets my most important criteria though - they're NOT expensive.  I'm a computer geek and there's still NO WAY I'd do my own business cards on a PC and printer.  Not when someone who does it for a living can do it for under $10.    

Well here's hoping commissions follow at a steady rate for many years then. By the end of this month I'll have handed out over 500 cards in the last 3 months and averaged 1 demo a week.

Fridge magnets sound like a good idea when I can afford them. I've discovered my most profitable items are the ones that are "fun and useful" and fridge magnets fit that bill, though obviously not something I'd sell.

I'll give my vote for Vistaprint as well.  Used them for different businesses and always good quality and prices are dirt cheap.  Far better than print at home and will carry in your wallet without all the ink smearing.  Service is great as well.  Get on their e-mail list and sales show up each week. 

Now coming to the "Strike Rate" that is Hugely variable by time of year, audience you are dealing with and economy of the area.  When I was in the car business we often got hits 1-3 years after a show or visit to our dealership.  Your card often ends up bringing in business from other than the one who picked it up.  No chance of getting a "strike" setting in your wallet, shop, or on the table at a Demo.  Get them out there as many as possible, get a 1% return, better than you had.

If you want instant "Strike" be making something that no one else does and everyone needs, the "better mouse trap theory" at a price no one else can better.