I Forge Iron

fisher anvil bought today in bad shape help

would like any information on this anvil.  I was told the no.9 is its weight (90lbs), its an 1893 with a number date thing on it 10 4. also a star on one of the legs.  the underside has the patent date on it as well.  the face is rough and the horn tip looks like the fat lady ran into it.  thank you again.  If Thomas Powers is on this thread this is Roger from el paso-recently moved to Miday (still in texas)

post-55182-0-87057300-1404443732_thumb.j

post-55182-0-45808700-1404443736_thumb.j

post-55182-0-13009200-1404443740_thumb.j

post-55182-0-98368300-1404443743_thumb.j

post-55182-0-02202900-1404443748_thumb.j

post-55182-0-80138700-1404443751_thumb.j

Fisher anvils are very hard to repair, but not impossible.  They are made with a tool steel plate that is welded to the iron during the casting process.  There are many people on this forum who have successfully fixed Fishers, so I will let them comment on their methods.  But, as was said above, you can use it as is, and learn to work around the rough spots.  Your anvil was abused at some point by someone who obviously did not care what they did to it.

The majority of the face looks good and flat.  I wouldn't do anything to it for the first year, learning how to smith and how the anvil works with you.  You might find that just radiusing the chipped areas is good enough for 99% of what you do, and making an edge block is the best solution.

Personally, I'd use it as-is and not worry one jot about the edges.  She's got a lot of life left in her.

Fisher made over 500,000 anvils in their 125+ year history.  They made many of all sizes.  Do not concern yourself with the rarity of the anvil.  There are lots out in the world.  Fisher made them in 10 lb increments up to 180 lbs for a long time.  Who told you it was rare?

I have seen much worse. You can reshape the horn with a sanding disk on an anvil grinder. You can do whatever you want to the horn without hurting the anvil or it's value. 

You have some good flat spots. There are some good edges. It isn't so much the rarity of the number 9, but more the desirability of portable anvils these days. I have a pristine #7. It is much too small for general work, but awesome for light, precise work, and hence is mounted much higher than my heavy anvil. 

Eventually you may want to reshape all the chipped edges into a variety of radii which can be very handy. Of course smoothly radiused edges will prevent further chipping as well. 

A quiet anvil; nice and portable---just the thing for stealth smithing missions.

Hope the move went well and you are getting your feet under you after several decades in the service!

Now go do stuff!  I forged  3 (non galvanized) 1' nails into coat hooks for cubicals this morning using the coal forge.

Thought I was going to be fancy with my screwpress till I found out that doing the cube wall part was actually easier and better looking using a piece of 2" sq tubing and a set of vice grips and a light hammer.  Now I have the design and manufacturing proved in I was going to do a bunch more for my new cubeland; but got called to work some issues remotely---maybe tomorrow.

I have made a simple forge out of the large break drum you gave to me and a lawn mower deck (upended to fit over the drum).  I use charcoal, chunk charcoal and dried wood to get the heat to red, orange and a slight white hot.  I have made a scoop thing for getting my fuel into the fire, ive made a couple of penanular broaches, couple of s hooks, j hooks etc.  I also made one paper towel holder and two toilet paper holders for the house.  I have successfully made a hold down tool, two hot cut hardies out of jackhammer chisels (small ones ppl first used as regular chisels before I got to them). basic trinket stuff and some tools I see a need for.  ive taken your instruction to me as well as I can, repeat the steps and make the next one a little better and consistent.  I will endeavor to seek out information and tools as I can. seems ive got the bug a bit late in life however I can always use the skill I aquire to better my armor making and make things for the Farm-we have 19acrs, good size house, 4 goats, 30 odd chickens for milk and eggs and recently got a horse for the Wife.  my life is full of busy.  enough on this site of my Bla bla e fore I get booted.  :)  thank you for responding, wishing you well from us.  

I wouldn't worry about being booted for "blah-blah"... it's the "bleep-bleep"s that get people in trouble.

And as far as being bitten late by the bug... me too. But I still love the learning and what time I get at the forge and anvil. Btw... if there ain't no pictures... it didn't happen. ;)

Enough on this site of my Bla bla e fore I get booted.   :)  thank you for responding, wishing you well from us.

IForgeIron is a family forum that invites your wife and your children to visit the site.  Being the gentleman that you are, I see no reason for you to get booted. 

Having met a couple of smiths still supporting themselves smithing in their 80's and at least one who would still keep his hand in every now and then in his 90's  I think most of us have some time before us.

As for where to go from here:  "Country Blacksmithing"  Charles McRaven (don't recall the new version name) has some farm/country stuff in it to make,  "Civil War Blacksmithing"  David Einhorn has a listing of typical good sellers at ACW events.  Finding out local needs can help with marketing or getting a hold of a couple of good historical surveys and leafing through then until you say "I want to make *that*!  And then do so a couple of times to get good.