I Forge Iron

New anvil still in the wrapper :)

What with the delicate cargo especially so!! ;)

I snapped this pic too. It shows Emerson on the tag so it must be new stock. I thought I'd read somewhere that they were made in Belgium but looks like still Germany. Perhaps the bottom cast steel portion is from Poland and the top forged portion from Germany, idk? It is obvious from looking at the construction it is arc welded together at the waist.
I'm thinking my Vulcan will be getting lonely in the near future!

post-4280-0-79055500-1400182257_thumb.jp

Ooohh man it really bounces a hammer! It might be a bit before I get to really use it, just too busy with work right now. The hardy hole is a little different, looks like it was drilled and broached. The little countersunk bevel at the top looks different but may actually be nice for any hardies that I arc weld the shank on- I won't have to worry about the weld radius being in the way. Btw fun to move one this size, it it were much bigger I'd get the tractor. It's manageable but I did haul it across the yard in the golf cart. Anyways here's a few more pics. Hopefully it won't be this nice n shiny for too long. :)

post-4280-0-12150400-1400207400_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-54961800-1400207436_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-49532800-1400207510_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-36699800-1400207583_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-93101000-1400207637_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-22844400-1400207716_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you sir hopefully it will prove to be a great one. I wanted a quality double horned anvil with plenty mass and a very flat surface that is durable. The Peddinghaus name stands for quality, being the only forged anvil in the world. There were several others that I considered that I'm sure would have served me well too. I preferred the width of the face on this model for my uses. I found a deal on this one so I bit and so far I love it. I hope it will stay in my family for generations!

FedEx called today and had my package! I can't wait to put it to work :)

I have the same. Mine is three years old. It is my first and I love it. I am not sure however that it is the only forged anvil in the world. But who cares. It is a great tool.

I have the same. Mine is three years old. It is my first and I love it. I am not sure however that it is the only forged anvil in the world. But who cares. It is a great tool.

Oops,sorry I may be wrong there, I was thinking I read that someplace. But there may be others still in production. It does seem to be good quality though. I haven't even got mine set up properly yet. I'm still trying to decide if I want a wooden stump or a 3 legged steel base.

Oops,sorry I may be wrong there, I was thinking I read that someplace. But there may be others still in production. It does seem to be good quality though. I haven't even got mine set up properly yet. I'm still trying to decide if I want a wooden stump or a 3 legged steel base.

1. It is good quality.
  2. I rested mine on a sand box made with 1/4" steel plate. Would not change this set up.

post-14003-0-79656800-1402918073_thumb.j

I am sure my PW is forged
moony has made forged anvils too IIRC
maybe you mean Peddinghaus are the only current major producer of forged anvils

Thank you yes the PW is forged, I appologize I should have stated "still in production" in that post

• It is good quality.
  • I rested mine on a sand box made with 1/4" steel plate. Would not change this set up.

attachicon.gifDSC02352.JPG

That is an interesting design like a deadblow hammer, I'll bet it quiets the ring a good bit. Do you think it allows much deflection with the plate only being 1/4"?

That is an interesting design like a deadblow hammer, I'll bet it quiets the ring a good bit. Do you think it allows much deflection with the plate only being 1/4"?

1. It does deaden the ring.
  2. No deflection after 3-1/2 years of daily service. And I am not so sure a 1/4" inch is not an overkill. 

• 2 weeks later...