I Forge Iron

I need some advise with a charcoal fire.

HWHII

At my new job the forge is a charcoal forge with a two stage bellows. I have only forged with charcoal a few times and the same with a bellows but it was with a coal fire. I would appreciate any advise or tips you all can give me with this types of system. Thanks!

Elemental nailed it.

Keep the fire deep and limit the air, charcoal burns faster than coal.

A tip on keeping your fire from spreading to the outside charcoal is sprinkle the charcoal you don't want burnt with water or just keep a good gap between your fire pot and reserve fuel.

I use charcoal a lot and the best thing I can say is with charcoal you need less air and a deeper fire, at least a couple of inches deeper. Also the fire will spread, keep your spare fuel away from the fire or you will have a very large fire.

With a coal fire I am used to putting my metal in flush with the top of the fire pot and pulling coal up around it. Would you say you would push your metal lower and deeper into the fire? Thanks! I had seen a post by Thomas were he suggests using fire bricks to build a trough for a deeper fire. Looks like this might be a good trick?

Upside is that there is no clinker to deal with, downside is there is a ton of ash in the air that settles on everything. A large volume of low speed air is better than a small high speed blast.

Lots of fire fleas jumping out as well, with too much air you can blow the coals right out of the pot.

post-114-0-49805000-1396134546_thumb.jpg

charles, you mentioned alder, i've been warned in years past that alder will burn so hot it will burn through  or warp a wood  stove . alder is something i have in over abundance, is it a good idea to use dry alder as fuel ... or better to make charcoal of it ?

I LIKE alder, I used it as in field expedient forges by preference, back when I was a field guy. About damaging wood stoves, a person has to have some sense about any fire appliance and know when to turn it down or just build a smaller fire. I use alder in both our wood burners as a good way to take the chill off fast, larger birch for longer heat.

One small correction Charles, lb/lb is equal for coke, not mineral coal. I know it's a minor point but I'm not doing anything at the moment and it's TOUGH catching you in a mistake, Brother. <wink>

You'll find softwood charcoal tends to have a higher absolute temperature than hardwood or coke, all things being equal. Same size fire, same blast, etc. Softwood charcoal is less dense so there's more surface area to oxidize in the fire, it burns faster and gets hotter. Same BTUs you just get them faster is all.

If you really want a scary hot fire burn charcoal the way the coal fired power plant in Fairbanks burns coal. Crush it to -200 and burn it like gas. Really efficient and HOT if you want HOT. Not something a garage smithy would want, too much hassle and a PITA to control on a small scale. Besides -200 charcoal can be pretty explosive if it gets blown around a volume of air and ignited.

Frosty The Lucky.

lol ... no i don't think that hot would be a good idea ..... but i think i'l try making some charcoal out of alder , and try that ... got to wait til this snow melts out a bit ...... maybe like August !!

Frosty, I'm wrong all the time (least wise that's what the kids tell me)
funny thing about the listed btu contents, I've seen 10,000 to 17,000 btu/lb listed for coal, and depending on who's chart soft coal, hard coal and charcoal are always with in 1000 btu. Impriricaly, all I really know is I burn up just as much steel in charcoal as I do coal ;-)
One thing to take away from frosty, smaller peices will relieve more heat and transfer it to your work faster.

I find 3-4 hours after working w/ a charcoal forge the buildup of ash restricts the temperature the forge will reach.  Easy way around this is to periodically with the air off make a focused effort to stir the pot so the ashes fall down the tuyere and dump the firegate.  Everything else I might add has already been said, I use firebricks to allow more height and less width.

Ain't we all Charles, I just don't catch you in one very often. I'm just not that swift.

Another aspect of small pieces of solid fuel in the fire, the increased surface area allows the fuel to consume more oxygen so the fire's sweet spot will be closer to the air blast and hotter.

I've found it doesn't matter what kind of fuel I use, I can burn steel with em all.

Frosty The Lucky.