I Forge Iron

Road side assitance, old school?

DSW

He's probably doing like they do on heavy equipment and only putting dots of hardface around the shoe.  Gotta leave the nail heads exposed so the horse can throw the shoe and bring in more business.....

Sounds to me like this is something we need a daring farrier to experiment on.

He was using 1/8" rod so putting a fast narrow bead the full length around a shoe wouldn't heat it near as hot as a "hot shoe". It's the flash and buzz of the welder that'd take a little horse handling to deal with.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sounds to me like this is something we need a daring farrier to experiment on.

I think the farrier might get a bit upset if you tried to weld shoes on HIS foot.  Probably need more than a blanket over his head. LOL  :lol:

I'm NOT a farrier but I often offer to hot shoe hecklers!

I tell them it's the last set of shoes they'll ever need; cause they wear like iron!

If they ask me if it will hurt I tell them "No; I've got industrial hearing protectors *and* earplugs, won't hurt me at all!"

Funny nobody has ever taken me up on the offer...

The truth is "hot shoing" is actually a reference to forging a shoe or adjusting a keg shoe hot, to fit the horse. Generally one can better adjust the shoe to fit a horse hot.
One can hot set a shoe, by briefly touching th black hot shoe to the hoof, burning in clips, and as hiring that the shoe and hoof are mated properly. The shoe is not nailed on hot, it is either quenched or allowed to cool until it can be sadly handled.

Now Now Charles, You know that and I know that; but it's shut up many a d@%$#& heckler in the last 30 years...

The other tried and true method is to hand them the hammer and have them demonstrate their greater knowledge. If they have been real annoying giving them a sacrificial piece of high carbon steel to work with can be amusing as it's harder under the hammer and they can never forgo the quench at the end---tink TinK TINK!   (Now if they really are another smith you get the raised eyebrow and the what the heck is this stuff?)  Wrought iron will work too and even some smiths don't have any experience with it.

Now ifn I was heckling another smith, something I would never stoop so low as to do---Be Quiet Patrick, Ian, Adlai, Pep, Thom,Flaxy,James,..., would be taking some sparklers and carefully removing the active coating and mixing it up in their coal supply so they get the "Your piece is burning up" effect when it might not even be glowing yet...and please feel free to forget to remember my name on that trick!