I Forge Iron

Finished my shop; Thieves

Admanfrd

Growing up in Miami there was a host of data that said a porch light discourages burglars. I know this because the only time someone came sniffing around the house at night was the one time the porch light was out.

I love motion sensor lights, the draw attention and I have seen where people have put them in at 3 or 4 times the needed wattage and it was like being under the light in an old movie.

Anything like lights an noise is good for discouraging most burglars. Crooks looking for a few bucks in scrap or a bike do not sound like hardened crime lords. One thing to never do is make it personal. All the gags with the pink paint (I would love if that were a real punishment like how Thai Police are forced to wear the Hello Kitty band of shame) but nothing are stupider than a bunch of humiliated adolescents. I have seen people using cameras to catch people stealing Netflix out of the mail box so if you want to try that fine. You need to make sure the camera is hidden so it will not get ripped off also. Do not use anything you want to keep for bait. Copper pipe and or wire is good bait.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that any harmless punk can get a knife or (in some cases) a gun if they feel like that is the only way.

Do not let it escalate.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out in the country my neighbors like to leave a light on and a radio playing in out buildings---is it a ruse or is the owner, often armed, just working late when it's cool????

Of course I've lived places where I chained the anvil to the powerhammer with a LOG Chain and a lock that even the *big* bolt cutters wouldn't handle.  For lesser places a slightly lighter chain run through a bunch of hardy holes and a good lock slows things down.  It's just messing with folks if you drill and tap a hole in the underside of your anvil and run a threaded rod through your stump to a buried "deadman" to make an unliftable anvil...

an anvil stand that is boxed in with an angle frame for the anvil to sit it, a strong chain fixed to the underside of the anvil with maybe 3 foot of slack and padlocked to the inside of the base of the stand, the stand bolted down securely.

if you know you will put something next to the stand to move the anvil onto whilst you reach in to unlock it, if not you lift the anvil and try to take it away until you get to the end of the chain

So far, no one has mentioned a security service with all the bells, whistles etc., and a call to the local police dept. for break ins. I've had one for years and the only times the alarm has gone off has been the cats moving around. The local police usually beat me to the shop 

(5 mins max) when the alarm goes off, so stealing used equipment doesn't factor in to dealing with losers high on whatever. If they beat the police and me to the shop, they can have all the used stuff they can carry. That's what insurance is for. My life is worth a lot more than the cost of the security payment each month.

John

I had a couple suggestions to throw out, both not serious and intended in good humor

Irony - Engineer a Wile E. Coyote trap resulting in an anvil dropped on their head while they make off with one. This is ironic in both in how they are stealing the object of their demise, and also in that it probably contains iron! This is problematic if you're on a budget as it would entail the purchase of another anvil.

Indiana Jones - Store the anvil on a weight sensitive pressure plate so when the anvil is removed they must sprint at least six miles an hour carrying the anvil or be crushed by a rolling boulder and the accompanied heavy stone door on a slow descend timer. If you arrive at your shop with a missing anvil and the trap sprung, look behind the door for a fedora and check for a name tag for the identity of your culprit. If you prosecute and convict the thief, you should get bonus points if you show up drunk to their parole hearing repeatedly disrupting the proceedings by pointing out architectural fixtures in the courthouse claiming"THAT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!"

Im lucky i live 18 miles from town and about 2 miles off a county road, long drive way to plow in the winter, but i like it. We usually dont have to many thieves out here but at time some idiot get brave and tries to make off with what ever they can get from me our my neighbors, I have a big sign at the driveway, that say we dont dial 911 with a cut out of a 30-30 rifle under it. I do use deer cameras, there cheep and very good, I have 3 up right now  Another good deterrent is un spool a roll or two of barbwire like the did on the beaches in wwII. around your fence line..my neighbor has 20 pound fishing line ran threw little eyes placed about 12 inches off the ground around his shop, the line goes to a small bell in the house threw a very small hole in the wall by the door.But my favorite one is a sign i have at the corner of my ten acres that says,, if you can read this you are already in range........ . 

• 6 months later...

When I moved to Indianapolis, my entire shop was packed up in an old Studebaker pick-up bed converted to trailer.  It was ball locked and axel chained to a tree.

The trailer was stolen along with all of the contents.  I was in the process of cleaning up and out my grandfather's wood shop to make room for smithing.  40+ years of wood scraps, saw dust, etc, in what was primarily a custom furniture and cabinet shop.

The police came, saw the tree had been cut down. Saw the tracks in the muddy yard. and told me there was nothing to be done about it.

The trailer was found, sold to an illegal who had a bill of sale from someone who did not exist in the area. It was never returned to me.

I now live in south central kentucky, far away from other people.  I am clearing a wooded section of the property to build my shop on, as I continue collecting tools to populate the shop.

One such acquisition is a sign that will go on the door.

"Nothing in here is worth more to you, than your life. 
Everything in here is more valuable to me, than your life."

I had that on the back of the "Open" sign of my business.  In a bad neighborhood, with break-ins on either side of me, my computer shop was not bothered for three years.  Needless to say, the police did not like that sign on my door.  I gave them an alternative, they can be responsible and accountable for any loss or damages.  The chief went away and did not bother me about it, anymore.

Zylouge
Just be carefull of the juristiction you are in. Some courts have taken the veiw that your sighn constitutes "premeditation"
Not that I don't agree with the sentiment, or that I wouldn't vote to acquit, took me a bit of shopping to find an inurance company that would geive me home owners insurance because I have an ausstralian shepard (read that as will bite if you dont heed her warnings)

Careful now. Most states have a defense doctrine. Some allow defense of yourself or others if the is a threat of severe bodily harm or death, in any instance. The catch is if the state has a castle defense doctrine or maximum retreat doctrine. Understanding these specifics in your state will allow you to act accordingly. It's not the ok coral, you have to have cause to believe your life's is in danger. Some less Than scrupulous law types will carry a drop piece ( non traceable weapon) in the event they have what cops call a bad shoot. A weapon discharge that will not stand up to scrutiny by a review board.

The keywords are, I feared for my life. Never mention this intention to anyone or you could be accused of creating an attractive entrapment. You were surprised by the thieves , feared for your life and took appropriate action. As any smart lawyer will tell you, dead men don't testify. The survivors write the story.

Peter

I'm fortunate in that Kentucky believes in one's right to self-defense, not just of body but of property.  I have no intention of having a run in with any criminal on the property.  We have signs up that state, clearly, no hunting, no trespassing.  Anyone on our property without invitation is in violation of both our wishes and the law.  That makes them an aggressor and subject to be defended against.

As luck would have it oklihoma has a faily liberal "make my day law" for both defending our homes and buisnesses. Not to mention the fact that that I live on a "horse training facility" trespase constitutes a felony, no sighns, no warnings. But methheads are idiots and I would still regreat taking ones life, regardless of my skill set, the law and my beliefs