I Forge Iron

Anvil Quality

Welcome aboard Danny glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

We call those ASOs Anvil Shaped Objects. They're not worth much as an anvil and worth scrap price, as Thomas said about $0.25/lb. Don't buy it, not even as a garden decoration.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2014 at 2:41 AM, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Danny glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

We call those ASOs Anvil Shaped Objects. They're not worth much as an anvil and worth scrap price, as Thomas said about $0.25/lb. Don't buy it, not even as a garden decoration.

xxxx good thing I asked!! thanks

That's a pretty decent anvil, Danny.  Looks like a mousehole or similar, and probably pretty old.  Definitely worth considering for the shop if you need an anvil.

Pricing an anvil is very easy, just figure up the price of a brand-new anvil, with shipping, and then try to get your used anvil for less than that.  Sure, anything under $2/lb is nice, but that's not some federal law.  As worn as that mousehole is, it should be cheaper than a brand new anvil, but if you don't have a lot of anvils in your area it might command a premium. 

A reasonably flat face.  Reasonable edges.  No chunks missing.  Horn's not chewed up.  Name brand quality.  If you take care of it, it won't break or need oiling every thousand miles.  No belts and hoses to worry about.  It's not going to wear out or depreciate in value over the years.  You can probably resell it for what you paid for it.

Think of it like a used car; if there are a lot of them around the price is lower than if there are few and Condition and Make and Model all pay a part in pricing.  I don't judge used car prices against new car prices; I judge them against other used car prices.