I Forge Iron

Guidance for making hammers

Shawn S

Hello all,

I have been reading off and on for a little while trying to learn from the talented group of people on this forum. I have been in resent contact with a couple of guys from this forum, Brian Brazeal and Dave "FieryFurnace", inquiring about tools and a possible class. My purpose for this post is three fold.

First, when I contacted Mr. Brazeal regarding information about a class I recieved a reply very quickly and with quite bit of information. I very much want to get a chance to spend some time with him this year. He seems like a real class act, I have been watching his videos every night.

Second, I contacted "FieryFurnace" about his hammers. After a couple of exchanges about different things I asked about making me some of the tools that are needed to make hammers, well he turned me down. I have not ever been turned down in such a respectfull and professional way. In his response to me I felt his passion for his craft and his desire to only put out a high quality of work, he eared some respect from me. I will be doing some business with him in the future.

(I always like to give credit where I believe it is due and these two gentleman desire it in my opinion)

Lastly, I am interested in making my own tools and there are so many threads on hammers but it doesn't seem to be anything that I can find that explains all the tools that I would need to make a hammer. I am just getting into Blacksmithing with only having my forge, anvil one pair of tongs and an anvil, where do I start? What tools should I start making first?

I work at a Steel mill and have access to all the mild steel that I ever could want as well as some tool steel from equipment that breaks ( machined shafts and very large bearings) as well as many sizes of wire rope going all the way up to 2inch for hundred ton cranes.

Sorry for the long post but it is my first, any help would be appreciated.

Shawn

Good Morning,

Take little steps first. Learn how to work a fire, Learn how to make many trinkets and tools. The tools needed to make your hammer are not magic or complicated. When you learn how and why metal moves the way it does, you will have already made your Hammer building Tools. There is no "One Design".  What you make, will work. The secret of building hammers is in how and where you grind it. It is way less trouble and money to purchase your hammers, BUT, a piece of your heart gets built into every hammer you make.

I stamp my signature, the date and weight on every Hammer Head I make, saves remembering. You can look back and see what you would like to improve on for the next batch. Some old pallet material makes wonderful Hammer Handles, seems like we get a lot that are built out of Maple. They work well!!

Enjoy the Class. Remember that you learn more by using your eyes and ears, instead of your mouth. :) :)

Neil

For the past three years, I've been offering a six day toolsmithing class in March. In the past, we've had jewelers, saddlers, farriers, blacksmiths, and newbies sign up. We correspond about what types of tools they are interested in making so that I can do a little research and obtain the proper tool steels. I'm not a machinist, so the tools we make are forged, ground, sanded, and sometimes polished. Basic heat treatment metallurgy is covered.

Shawn,

I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of a great opportunity.  Next weekend, HABA, Balcones Forge, North Texas and LAMA will all be meeting in Bryan, Texas at Steephollow Forgeworks.  Lyle Wynn will be the demonstrator.  Lyle assisted Brian Brazeal a few years ago at the Balcones Forge workshops and demo.  This is a free event but will have an auction of donated items to cover expenses.  The information can be found on the Balcones Forge website.  This will be a three hour trip for me but I will happily travel the distance as this will be an exceptional event. 

Jerry