I Forge Iron

Life is good. What did you do today

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Designing your projects to require forge welding instead of avoiding it is subtle blacksmith showing off---and keeps you in the groove with welding.

What I really need to try out is to prebend the precut pieces so they are set up for welding without more than a bit of tweaking afterwards

its symmetric right?  an equilateral triangle during setup?  make a jig for your vise that has an adjustable stop plate to control the depth of the bend, and has a preset 150 degree guide (or maybe a little less, 145 or so, in case it flexes elastically back), then you can just set your depth, heat the ends of the bars, crank out 6 uniform bends and go straight to welding from there.  I don't know if theres a very elegant solution to the awkwardness of trying to manipulate a large(depending on the scale of the thing) triangle in the forge and while trying to forge weld it though...  it might be better to continue to weld them while they are parallel and just make yourself a 60 degree wedge tool to drive in and open the legs up while you hold the welded portion in the vise.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a satisfying day today.  Needed a pair of V-bit tongs for 1/4"  for working on rose stems a little easier.  Came out really close to the specified size  by the tong chart.  And then finished up the four roses I was working on.  All in all a pretty good afternoon.  Next on the agenda is to actually sell a rose or two.  :)

post-15973-0-99969000-1399169047_thumb.j

post-15973-0-01879200-1399169141_thumb.j

post-15973-0-39294200-1399169233_thumb.j

post-15973-0-99276500-1399169326_thumb.j

Well, yesterday was a pretty good day.

Recently I have had some health problems and then there was a diagnosis of Crohn's disease. My physical condition has dropped in the last few weeks, and I was mentally down quite good, too. 

Anyways I decided that Sunday I gotta go to the shop and kick Crohn's xxx a bit. I needed a chair to sit down while the steel was in the fire, but I did it. 3 solid forging hours, even if I did only light work. 

My moral got pretty lifted up since that. Hopefully I can continue in long term.

Bests to all:

Gergely

• 3 weeks later...

Looks sturdy. I have a question for the experts regarding post vices. I'm planning to get a post vice before too long. I've seen several pics posted by members showing vices with bent legs. Would it be worth the effort to straighten the leg? It is to transfer the energy from blows to the ground right? And wouldn't being bent cause flex in the leg, thereby reducing the effectiveness?

Yes straightening them is a good idea.  As many were made from wrought iron you may want to heat it up to WI working temps.  Others have done it cold using a press.  (Me I like heat!)

At a recent club meeting we took and old vice of mine with a cracked leg (at the original forge weld a couple inches down from the pivot supports)  forged out a WI strap and spiraled it around the cracked section and forge welded it all back together in a sort of gun barrel weld---the strip doesn't show the seems save at the start.

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more practice with my arc welder and actually laid down some not-too-embarrassing beads.  No, I won't post pictures of said beads!

IMG_0951_zps08534b9a.jpg

Also took a few minutes to rummage through the scrap pile and was able to repurpose some old mangled sheet to become a pair of jaw covers for my vise.  Been needing some for ages but always procrastinated.  Now, no more need for excuses!!