I Forge Iron

What is this?

Mr Powers, can you re-edit my post so it doesn't look like I was swearing, please? I did not. I feel bad that my earlier comment was "x"d out. Sorry for that. I was trying to convey that the item in question has seen some serious misuse and the stand is in poor condition.

I tried to attach a pic earlier, I'll try again.

It was not Mr Powers, and you were swearing for the first one, the second was a rude cholce of wording.  The offending words have been replaced with X's as is IFI policy, showing your post has been edited.  You were also sent a notice informing you of this action about 50 minutes ago.

post-280-0-27164000-1389129328_thumb.jpg

Gijotoole:  I had nothing to do with the modification of your post. I have NO editorial powers on this site whatsoever (save for my own posts---if I'm fast!).  You will have to talk with a moderator for that. 

Lovely stake anvil I know a LOT of SCA armourers who would love to own it!

IForgeIron is a family forum and some posts must be *adjusted* to fit the G rating. We have made these adjustments by removing and rewriting the words to reflect a G rating but keeping the intent of the post.

We were accused of censorship. Nothing was censored, only the wording slightly adjusted to fit the G rating. 

We now replace the bad word with xxxx to show exactly what was changed.  Sometimes xxxx"s are used when a poor choice of words are used.  Keep it G rated and a family and there are no issues.

Thomas Powers is a valued member of IForgeIron but has no moderation or edit privileges to any post he has not authored.

I have added the photo to your original post for you. Nice bick iron, you will enjoy using it.

Nice stake anvil, good score. That's a very poor mount though, it needs the steel under it and a little thin plate bridging the legs doesn't count. If you can find a piece of tubing the shank will fit into, cut it the correct length to hold the stake anvil at your working height, then weld a little foot under it and some legs to keep it upright and stable.

Frosty The Lucky.

What you have there is called a bick iron. Being that that stake is at least 100 years old if not 200 years old and qualifies as an antique I would bring it back to original.  The stand is ugly and inhibits the usefulness of it as a tool.  I would carefully remove it from the base only grinding away the weld.  I would find a nice log about 20" tall and about as wide and mount it in that.  This would be how it would have been mounted in most instances.

This is a bit of a quandary for me as I approve of this site being moderated so I can direct new folk to it without worrying what they will find.  I have even run afoul of it a time or too myself even using language that I had used in church just that day or so!

However: "Nothing was censored, only the wording slightly adjusted";  unfortunately adjusting the wording is a part of the definition of censorship.

Please continue to do it; but the awareness that it is censorship should help the moderators moderate their actions.

Can we get back to smithing?  If work doesn't blow up tomorrow I'll be teaching some SCA folk more smithing at the local Arts & Sciences meeting.  I bring a forge and we cook over a raised firepit and forge for 2-3 hours.  I expect forks and knives will be on the menu tomorrow!   (only about 1/2 of them will be in the military...including a medic and a cook)  Saturday a couple are coming over for some in depth forge training. He's retiring off the flight line with 22 years service and trying to cram in as much as he can before they move several hundred miles away.

Wow, I'm really sorry I derailed the thread for a while there. I understand Mr Powers had nothing to do with the comment edit, sorry for that, too.

The anvil has a big chunk taken off the tip of the round horn and it's beat up pretty badly. There are rather large pits on the top and the edges have some decent sized gouges. I'm going to take a grinder to the horn, if I can find a grinder, and see what I can do to dress the face and edges without removing too much material. I'll look at the accepted "restoring etiquette" for these things. The stump-ish object shouldn't be too hard to find as there is a fairly large logging operation going on in the nearby woods. I'll probaby just cut off the legs and use the plate to cover the top of the log, maybe bolt it down.

Again, thanks for the help and let's forget about that other thing...

Note that many anvil horns have been blunted after unfortunate collisions of sharp horns and smith's anatomy...

We generally suggest people use a new anvil for a year before making any changes save removal of loose rust by wirebrushing.  Many times they find that the "flaws" turn out to be features!

To record things in or to mount your anvil on?  

I have an old anvil that has been abused---missing the heel and the horn has some divots and wear marks on it.  Turns out that one of the divots is a near perfect rivit set so much so I wonder if it was put in on purpose.

Just to clarify what you have there in not really considered an anvil.  It is a bick iron sometimes called a stake anvil.  It was intended as more of a shaping tool more than a forging tool.  Though it is fine for light forging.  Usually it was used in conjunction with a heavier anvil especially a hornless block anvil.  If I was going to fix up a tool like that I would be inclined to fill the holes with weld rather than grind away the base material.  it really depends on your skills and how much you work you are willing to do.  But as I said before its an antique and my strategy would be to remove the ugly base and find a nice hunk of wood to mount it too.  Keeping the plate does not improve the usefulness of the tool and detracts from its appearance.  See the link below for a historical perspective on the use of this tool.

'>

I have an ASO that I got from an acquaintance which i use for my metal-on-a-stick-impacting-hot-things but it's most certainly iron and of poor composition, probably a harbor freight weight. My "shop" is a bunch of landscaping forms stacked up on the weekends so I can do the afforementioned activity. I can probably break the welds off the legs but I don't have anything to cut the plate, so I'll probably have to keep it on for now. I'll certainly hold on to it for a while, though. Thanks for the input.

Wwwwwwwwwwinnuh!! I'll get to work on my hardening/tempering, too. I have some coil springs and a truck axle shaft. Do either of those have the potential to be a cold chisel? I can look for other car parts but that's about it for steel. I have access to a bunch of old hex keys, up to 2cm. I think those are tool steel. S2?