I Forge Iron

My new pride and joy.

Hi all, I had a buddy of mine call me up a while back wanting me to take a look at an old anvil he had for sale. I just got the time this last weekend (and the money if it was something I wanted to haul home). I went out on a gamble (I know foolish), and bought it up even though it had a bit of maltreatment and probably needed some repairs, but for a huge chunk of iron that she is, and 300 bucks! I took the risk.

Now as I said she has some damage and might need some repair, some block head decided to use this anvil as a cutting torch table!!! :wacko: There are quite a few cuts, but only a few that have done critical damage. It looks to me as if someone went threw and tried to repair it with nickle rod, but did not take the time nor necessary steps. She is as straight as an arrow, flat as can be and oh boy dose she sound beautiful when she rings. I did a drop test with an inch and a half steel ball (all I had) and at 10" the ball will return 7". 

There were no evident markings on her, so when I got her home I started hunting, and this is what I got. She is a peter wright, with the weight stamp 2-2-11, which as I have gleaned is 281 pounds. It was hard as could be to find the markings, and all I could find was,

Peter

Wright

Patented

(What appears to be the solid wrought stamp)

2-2-11

I am hoping yall can help me narrow down the date, determine the worth of repairing, and tips on how to do so. I have read many articles about repairing anvils and am gaining a lot of info, I'm looking for advice for my situation, with the torch cuts and all, and to save yall some typing.

A little more info here for you guys, when it comes to welding I am well versed and learning, I am a professional welder for a company that repairs train cars. Our welds have to be x-ray passable, and for the trucks we have to go through heat treating process since they are cast steel. I am fairly confident I can do the welding bit to par (Also hoping I can find someone to help me threw it) but this is a very old piece of steel that I would like to see last past my life time. So If any of you can help me out on this future project that would be much appreciated, thanks yall  :)

post-5892-0-99872900-1386123340_thumb.jp

post-5892-0-02742600-1386123400_thumb.jp

Beer can for scale

post-5892-0-92478300-1386123480_thumb.jp

This is a torch cut, facing in towards the face, its as deep as the ledge there.

post-5892-0-67013300-1386123536_thumb.jp

some minor gouges on the very edge

post-5892-0-13100800-1386123581_thumb.jp

Deep hole in the horn and what looks like to me, a repair.

post-5892-0-07094800-1386123867_thumb.jp

Heel,of the anvil, partially shaved off.

post-5892-0-72739200-1386123973_thumb.jp

Some damage in the hardy hole

post-5892-0-37670500-1386124039_thumb.jp

Deep gouge on the marking side of the anvil

post-5892-0-55987300-1386124210_thumb.jp

Deep gouge facing in, on the opposite side of the anvil

post-5892-0-34953000-1386124287_thumb.jp

post-5892-0-17107500-1386124356_thumb.jp

Some repairs done, first one is on the face, other is on the side nearer the heel.

Well if I had any idea where you were at I might be able to suggest folks to talk to about fixing it as I have had anvils worked on at anvil repair workshops both in Ohio, USA and New Mexico USA; both were associated with the local ABANA affiliates.  As I don't know even what country you are in all I can suggest is to research the Robb Gunter method of anvil repair.  As a pro welder you can probably bring it back to near mint condition without messing it up---if you do it correctly!

Sam: Though it's been abused the damage isn't going to effect it's utility. It's a pretty common mistake everybody makes getting into a trade, craft, hobby or whatever, we want the PERFECT tools and try to get what we want before we know what we need. It's a human thing, no biggy. What makes the draftsman isn't the tool, it's their skills including eye, hand, anticipation, understanding the materials, listening to the customer, mechanical drawing and artistic drawing and maybe most importantly imagination and the stubborn nature necessary to make it happen.

Put that beauty to work, there's nothing there to keep you from forging any shape you want. Nothing. It just isn't that badly damaged, I wouldn't do more than brush it off and build her a stand. I'd dearly LOVE a high quality anvil in the 300lb. range.

I have a decent 206lb. Trenton but it was "repaired" and has suffered for it. The edges were evidently chipped full length and the "repairman" welded them up and ground them off. The thing s/he did that damaged it was NOT keeping the grinder flat to the face so both edges are tipped for 1 1/2" to the edges. It's a real PITA using an edge for much needing a square edge. Also the original heat treat was damaged and the face is all marked to heck and gone with missed blow marks.

She still gets used regularly but she's second string and for no better reason than someone TRIED to repair her without knowing what to do or the skills to use the tools properly. Maybe my experience with a "repaired" anvil is why I'm so vocal about NOT welding on an anvil unless you have no choice.

Brother you have a CHOICE, please leave that beautiful lady be and go to work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Since I cant figure out how to change my location on my phone. I live near muscatine iowa on the bank of the Mississippi River. Im going to take yalls advice and leave her be except for a few burs I need to clean up, ill just use a sanding wheel and treat her nice. I already been putting her to use and she works like a charm. Thank you all for the advice and your time. Keep calm and hammer on yall.

Oh yea dimensions are 34" heel to horn, 5" across the face 13" tall and if I remember right 22 inches long on the face.

1" 1/4 hardie 5/8 pritchel. Ill get all the info lol bare with me I'm a scatter brain.