I Forge Iron

I wanted to share a recent project that I have been working on, I have been trying to make a wolf's tooth pattern axe and this was my first attempt which was a disaster on the side of the pattern but it still turned out to be a nice axe. This axe was wrapped and welded with a body of mild steel and an edge of 1095 and 15n20 with a central core of 1084 giving the edge about 32 layers. The head is 8 1/4 inches long and the edge is a little over 6 inches, with the weight of the whole axe sitting at about 4 pounds. The handle is hickory and measures 35 1/2 inches long. All comments are welcome thanks for looking.

Oh also I did take photos step by step on the forging of this axe head so if anyone is interested in seeing the process I can post that in a separate thread.

1385664_674309749260241_784392850_n_zps2

1377499_674309482593601_917420167_n_zps0

735625_674309365926946_729799980_o_zpsab

IMG_1454_zpsf5f2f6df.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gorgeous tip! I would very much like to see the step by step of how this beauty was made! ESPECIALLY that tip! 

That "tip" is properly called a welded "bit" Benton. He just made a deeper one from a nicely contrasting pattern welded piece and ground it to expose the patter.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty! I need to work on my ax nomenclature a bit. =/

Don't sweat it Benton, nobody is born knowing this stuff. It's all a life long learning curve, I learn something every day, from anyone I read, I'm a big old knowledge sponge.

I'm REALLY looking forward to learning what you can do with a little practice and help from the gang. I surfed around your blog a bit and see plenty of promise. Forge on little Brother.

Frosty The Lucky.