I Forge Iron

I Saved An Anvil From The Scrap Yard Today!

Today I got a phone call from a fellow asking if I was buying anvils, and he had seen my ad about searching for blacksmith equipment.  He told me he had cleaned out an old barn and found it in there.  He told me he was headed into town to the scrap metal buyer and if I wanted to meet him, he would sell me the anvil, otherwise it was going to be scrapped.  He wanted to meet at the scrap facility, so I told him I would be there in 20 minutes, without even discussing a price.  When I arrived, he had it sitting on the tailgate beside the iron dumpster.  It was a Fisher, that is all I saw at that time.  I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said anything over scrap value.  I asked him how much they(scrap buyers) would pay and he said $12.00, and if I could give him $20.00 he would be happy.  I pulled the $20.00 bill out and shook his hand,  threw the anvil in the jeep and drove home(grinning all the way home).  When I got home, I saw that it was a 1900 Fisher 120#, in very good condition!  On top of that, it has a 90% rebound rate!  I am very pleased with it.  I was not planning on buying another anvil, but I just couldn't let it get scrapped.  I cleaned some of the rust off for the pictures.  Enjoy the video, and the pictures!

post-46213-0-18867600-1381542765_thumb.j

post-46213-0-04852900-1381542799_thumb.j

post-46213-0-49104700-1381542833_thumb.j

post-46213-0-10295000-1381542867_thumb.j

post-46213-0-07813400-1381542904_thumb.j

post-46213-0-83120400-1381542938_thumb.j

post-46213-0-66556100-1381542975_thumb.j

Awesome find!  A 120# anvil is the perfect size for 99% of all smithing, and to get an actual, honest-to-god-Fisher for $20 is simply outrageous!  Undoubtedly the greatest anvil ever created, and you got it for pennies!!!!!

I hope you let that scrapper know that you'd double the scrap rate for any future anvils!!!

@poppaclutch, Thanks!

@ JIM, Thanks for the offer ;P

@ Vaughn, I agree, it is outrageous.  I said that I didn't need it, but after messing with it a bit this evening, I think it is my favorite of all three I have!  I love how it doesn't ring like a church bell, just a solid thwack.  I told the scrapper I would pay him better than that if he found any more anvils or tools, but I think he was just happy to be able to go get his next fix.  I doubt I will ever hear from him again.  As for my girlfriend, she was mad that I bought another anvil :) .

You lucked out like Perry Mason.

The opposite happened to me yesterday. I went into "Mexico Lindo" looking at all sorts of imports from furniture to hardware to doors. There was an anvil sitting on the floor, maybe 80 pounds, looking to be early English and with no markings. It had a big break where a portion of the face was missing. The horn tip was blunted. They quoted me $450 and said that it was brought all the way from Guadalahara. I did not reach for my wallet.

Sayings and Cornpone

Sign in Burton Brown's saddle shop, Santa Fe.

"Hours. If you see me through the window, I'm here."