I Forge Iron

New...(I am reading but have a few "dumb" questions)

Ok so I just joined today and have learned a WEALTH of information. Im already pumped about building my very own 55 forge or something very similar. But what should I use as a blower? Does anything that moves air work? Also I have seen a lot of "anvils" made from railroad tracks, are these worth the time and money or should I save up for a real anvil. I found a few cast iron anvils online are cast iron anvils worth looking into. And where can I find tools? I know that's a lot of questions for someone who has only been here for a few hours at most, but I am very excited and want to begin working with metal soon. My girlfriend is "overjoyed" that I have found a new hobby/interest. :D

Your on the right track, just keep reading and it will all start making sense. Google all theses topics and you will find pictures and info as you need.

I used a hair dryer as my first blower, had different speeds, worked well till it died.

RR track anvils are useful, the basic concept for anvils is to have the most metal under your hammer blows as possible. So having the rr track standing vertical gives the best results.

A real anvil is always going to be the best, but if you find other cheap hunks of metal they will work for some things, at least till you get past the basics and understand what to look for in a real anvil.

For tools, check flea markets, yard sales, ebay, craigs, this site, estate sales, and anywhere else you can think of.

Welcome to the world of smithing and Iforgeirons website. Any of the questions you have asked have been answered in the forums...and most of them many times. And site owner Glenn says,,"pack a lunch" and spend a lot more time in the forums....When you get stuck on something you read, post a link with a question on wot you need help with and someone will step up.

If anyone could read a short time and go to work it would be too easy and no challenge......Have fun!

Start planning for Quad-State late September in Troy; Largest blacksmiths convention held every year

EVERYTHING can be found there!

There were at lest 250 anvils there for sale last year.  And LOTS more.  Save your money for a 'real' anvil.  I went for the first time last year, and will be back every year in the future.  (And it is a 600 mile drive each way!)

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

A hair drier will work at least for a while. Heater blowers out of a car, etc. work well too. Lots of us have used RR rail for anvils and keep them around, they're excellent for bench anvils.

Read on, IFI has answers to most questions several times. Hood up with Quad State, you'll make lots of friends, get to beat some iron and find a wealth of tools, equipment materials and comaraderie.

One last bit, we LOVE pics, tools, shop, equipment, projects, kids, dogs, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to IFI!

I started with a small piece of RR track. Then went to a train car coupler knuckle and eventually wound up with an anvil. I still use the track and the coupler for different needs.

Like others have stated, seek out other blacksmiths. There are more than you might think out there. 

As Frosty said, we like lots of pictures. 

Mark <><

Well I already have the forge part figured out I think. A buddy of mine is going to give me a fire ring(made from an old steel wheel I think) and im going to use the general basis of the 55 forge side blast version. Right now I am trying to decide whether I want to leave it on the ground or if not how to raise it up to a good height. I am talking to my uncle who works at the Norfolk Southern railroad here in southern ohio about obtaining RR track and maybe even some spikes if he can sneak them in ;). Now all I need to do is find a hammer and see where I stand from there. I was wondering what a good first project would be but that's a little ways away anyway. Once again thank you for the info( it really was here for the reading) Mainly what you guys have given me is inspiration and determination. And quite a good bit of jealousy after reading the posts about lucky finds. We don't have those kinda scrap yards around here that I know of and the area im in is pretty bad off so scrapping is a main source of income for a lot of people so there probably isn't much easily gotten ahold of. But where there is a will there is a way and I will be ever vigilant :ph34r:. Thanks once again and I will post pictures as soon as I have something to post.

Having kin working for the railroad is a boon because there are better things in their scrap pile that rail. Ask about couplers, those are heavy and have lots of good shapes. I've been wanting a couple axle for a while now but out railroad has gone single buyer contract on their scrap so we mere mortals are out of luck. a rail car axle is just a touch over 9" dia. some 4'+ long and 4140 steel for a great anvil, either for striking, a home made power hammer, treadle hammer or . . . <sigh>

Good beginning projects are the ever popular "S" hooks, leaf coat hooks and nails. They're not fancy but they use many necessary techniques and are good warm ups. Once you've made 50 or so leaf coat hooks you're up to speed drawing uniform tapers, turning finial scrolls, turning hooks, twisting, lateral draws, shaping thin stock edge on, veining, punching holes and finishing. nails are simpler but require good hammer control because they're so thin and delicate, heading them is good for learning to set rivets.

Of course, making tongs is a super learning project, lots of processes and you always need more tongs. ALWAYS, just ask MetalMangler. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi, welcome aboard!

I've used a hair drier virtually since I started. The current one is at least a couple of years old and still running great. I'd suggest getting one where you can shut if the heat element with a cold button. As hair driers can over heat and stop working until they cool down. Particularly cheap ones.

Rail track makes a great little anvil. But there are alternatives to look out for.

Fork lift tines. I think you call them something different over there? But these are good steel and make for good anvils.

A large sledge hammer head is good too. Look for at least a 14lb head, the surface area is quite small but they work well for making small items like knives etc. many people over hear used one for years before finding a real anvil.
Beware though, the small mass will heat up from the work you do and can become very hot to the touch. You also need to set the hammer head very firmly in a stump or something to hold it down.

Other than that any decent hunk of steel will get you by.

As for tools; try flea markets, garage sales, eBay etc etc. I bought my first pair of tongs and used just one pair for everything for a while before I made my own pair of tongs.

All the best
Andy

If you can buy or borrow a copy of The Backyard Blacksmith there's a lot of good project ideas, including things you can sell if you so desire.  You're going to need tools for working your forge, tongs as mentioned, punches, drifts.  As it sounds like you're going to have RR spikes might as well make some bottle openers.  They're fun to make and sell well.  I started on a RR track anvil mounted vertically and from the sales of bottle openers & gardening tools bought a used 190# Peter Wright that I'm using now

Wow guys thanks for all the encouragement. Im going to try to have my forge set up by Friday. I'm limited on free time because I work with my dad in the family pizza shop. so I generally only get one day a week off. but after the summer fishing season im sure my forge and anvil will be my best friends. I'll have to ask him about the blacksmith shop at the railroad and see if I could get anything from there. So glad I found this forum for sure :D

So good news, my girlfriends uncle has an anvil and all I have to do is buy him lunch and he'll let me have it. On the flip side I haven't seen it yet but it is a RR track anvil, but it has a horn. So it's looking more and more like I will be firing my forge up on Friday :lol:

Well I made my first purchase today. It was a Kobalt 2.5 pound cross pein hammer. I got it at lowe's for only $13. This hammer feels great. I'm hoping to see how it works Friday. The only thing I am unsure about is on the face? of the hammer it kinda comes to a point. I don't know if this will cause problems when I try to pound out my first piece of metal.

1003683_10200825316930057_224563139_n.jp

Take a piece of pine board and hit it with the hammer. The indent should be smooth like looking like a domed watch face pushed into soft clay.watch. Round any hard edges.  

The peen side should be rounded to look like a 3/16 radius or 3/8 inch diameter round bar welded on to the end. 

Now all you need is a way to get metal hot and some scrap metal to beat on. :)

That's it Stuart, you are officially on my list of non favorite peoples.

Oneonta has been my home for the last 8 years, and apparently, YOU'RE the reason I can't find any blacksmithing goodies around here!
To say i'm jealous of that haul is an understatement. :angry:

Those would be tough s hooks. I'd make bottle openers out of them or gardening tools.

post-34362-0-98155100-1373423496_thumb.j

First thing I forged was this ugly bottle opener out of a spike. Still have it too, very functional and also opens paint cans. When my friends saw it they all wanted one, eventually sold enough and bought my current anvil.

post-34362-0-00769400-1373423862_thumb.jpost-34362-0-56045600-1373424135_thumb.j