I Forge Iron

You might check this guy...

A friend of mine met this guy at a reenactment event and spoke highly of him:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I know nothing about his products and have no vested interest in his sales, but I thought this might be helpful to anyone who is looking for a starter anvil.

He has a price list link at top.

Oooooo, the Big Boys have X'ed out the link.... Funny how some things will get to stay up and some don't.

nothing funny about it, IFI does not allow free advertising.

Then why is there a whole thread dedicated to material suppliers in the knife making section? Are those links not free advertising also?

I hope this isn't breaking any forum rules or anything, if it is, I'm sorry, and please feel free to delete this post.

For those interested, the original link pointed towards the website of a company called "Fort Vause Outfitters", I wont link their website as the link was clearly removed for one reason or another, but a quick web search will take you to the right place.

Simon.

Thank you. So, anyone out there have any feelings they could share on how effective ductile iron is for anvils?

From what I have read well made ductile iron anvils are very serviceable. They are rated behind cast steel and forged steel for modern anvils.

I have been an active member of this forum since it began.

I have always tried to be as helpful to the community as possible.

I have looked though hundreds of posts recommending vendors and supplies; by name and by link... craigslist, ebay, etc., etc.

I would certainly apprecite it if one of my posts is taken to offensive it would simply be deleted instead of being "XXXXXX'd" and then put on "moderator queue" like I'm some kind of cyber criminal.

A simple deletion and a private note would have been sufficient.

I suppose public humiliation is more effective.

No one knew about your moderation untill you posted this just now. We do not allow CL or Ebay links, and we remove them when found.

Anyone may contact Admin directly for information.  Simply we edit and not PM to avoid personal attacks on moderators,  The X's are because of another thread where people complained about Mod's editing and "changing their content"  so we leave that to show the post has been edited to avoid those issues, One can not have it both ways. We will continue to remove anything that does not comply with the terms of service. '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

There will be no free promotion of other websites, your link was cleatly free advertising, and you even pointed out his price list was there. that causes a problem for those that are paying for ad space on IFI. If you wish to purchase an add for this company please contact Admin directly for rates.

Don, I don't see that YOU were humiliated! Seems the powers that be will delete, XXXXX, or whatever for most any reason.  I posted my web site (yes it is strictly blacksmithing related AND there is a link that will bring you back to IFI or you can lint to ABANA's site....got deleted and was told I could but it in my signature which will show at the end of each of my posts. All I was asking was for folks to take a look and let me know what they thought.....oh well..... 

One can not have it both ways. We will continue to remove anything that does not comply with the terms of service.

Linking to other sites
Please use caution when linking "off site" to other web sites, you-tube, etc.

Any site link to from IForgeIron WILL be expected to follow the IForgeIron guide lines. Please review the material you are linking to, and be sure it is blacksmithing or metalworking related, and in accordance with the IFI site guide lines.

???

Not to aggravate anyone, but I spent the last 20 minutes going through the IFI guidelines and not once does it touch on the free advertising topic, indeed the only references to linking to other content elsewhere are as follows

(per the main body)

• not to post copyrighted material not owned by the poster or IFI
  • problems relating to owners of content outside of IFI changing or removing said content and breaking links

(per the 'linking to other sites' thread/section)

• to exercise caution when linking offsite
  • linked sites will be expected to follow the IFI guidelines
  • be blacksmithing or metalworking related, and in accordance with the IFI guidelines

I can see the somewhat advertisy flavor of the OP, and how that would lend itself to being a judgment call on the mods part with respect to disallowing this versus responses to 'I want to buy a new anvil' threads recommending papa rhino, fontanini, JHM, etc etc, it might just end up being a grey area as it would be actively detrimental to the environment of learning, sharing information, and generally helping your fellow smiths make progress (skill and equipment) to hunt down and squash every reference to every tool company that isn't throwing a dollar into the hat for the reference.

there is also a consistency issue that needs to be addressed here.  the mod response to don's post states:

'no one new about your moderation until you posted this just now'

however per the march 2013 addendum to the IFI guidelines:

"Any event performed by a moderator is automatically reported to all moderators, all admins, and the site owners. This insures that all events are reviewed and given due consideration. The admins or site owners decision is final."

and per '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

"It has been stated before, the moderators act at my direction, and report all moderated events back to the admins. Moving threads is considered house keeping, put the dishes in the dish cabinet, the forks in the silver wear drawer, anvils discussions in the anvil section, and etc."

(underline added by me for clarification)

so perhaps routine sanitization of potential advertisement conflicts falls under housekeeping, which does not CC to the rest of the staff?

also, the site guidelines have 3 links to other IFI threads for posting images, posting photos in the gallery and forum, and linking to other sites.  all three of these are presently broken links, however the material can be chased down via the forum search. 

that is correct, all Mod actions are reported automaticaly to the owner. the poster made comment "I suppose public humiliation is more effective." and the reply was made about no one knowing is true, no one except that staff involved knew until the poster brought it up, there was nothing made public ultil he made it so himself.  All staff are not informed. the information goes only tpo the to the owner. Moderations in this case is normally done to prevent a poster repeating the edited posts again before they know what is going on.

the sales issue is covered in the tailgating rules, '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> because most people post the allowed types of sales items there

I have some silversmithing stakes that are made from ductile iron and as long as I'm working well anneal copper or silver on them they are great but they will dent when I'm working brass or bronze on them and it is past time to anneal it. Even working soft steel on my stakes, like binding wire, will put a dent in the ductile iron. Working hot iron may be different on ductile iron but a miss with my hammer leaves a dent in the ductile iron. I don't think I would spend the money again for ductile iron silversmithing stakes, I save my money for quality steel stakes if I had it to do over.

A friend of mine met this guy at a reenactment event and spoke highly of him:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I know nothing about his products and have no vested interest in his sales, but I thought this might be helpful to anyone who is looking for a starter anvil.

He has a price list link at top.

You said I know nothing about his products yet send folks to his site and suggest his products would make a good starter anvil. You then refer them to his price list.

I can find no mention of IForgeIron on his site, or a link to IForgeIron as a blacksmithing and metalworking resource. I see no blacksmithing information on his site.  I do see a full sales store and references to 3 (three) other sites called "our sister companies", one of which is not related to blacksmithing. In return for sending traffic to his 4 sites, IForgeIron gets nothing in return, no mention, no percent of sales, no back links, not even a thank you. For that reason the link was X'ed out so you could see the edit and see nothing was deleted from the post.

Moderation is used until we can contact you or discuss an issue. Only the moderators and admins can see who is and who is not moderated. Moderation is NOT public knowledge.

Thomas Dean

Seems the powers that be will delete, XXXXX, or whatever for most any reason. I posted my web site (yes it is strictly blacksmithing related AND there is a link that will bring you back to IFI or you can lint to ABANA's site....got deleted and was told I could but it in my signature which will show at the end of each of my posts. All I was asking was for folks to take a look and let me know what they thought.....oh well.....

This was suggested so you could have YOUR web site information posted at the bottom of each of your 2,405 posts, not posted in just one thread. To me that is 2,404 times a better deal. And the deal gets better each time you make a post. You may delete the link to your site if you do not want it as part of each post you make. Just adjust the signature under your profile. 

Chinobi

Moving threads is considered house keeping, put the dishes in the dish cabinet, the forks in the silver wear drawer, anvils discussions in the anvil section, and etc."

so perhaps routine sanitization of potential advertisement conflicts falls under housekeeping, which does not CC to the rest of the staff?

This is a different subject. Post anvil topics in the anvil section, post knife topics in the knife section etc. Otherwise we have to move the post to the proper section to make / keep it subject related.

also, the site guidelines have 3 links to other IFI threads for posting images, posting photos in the gallery and forum, and linking to other sites. all three of these are presently broken links, however the material can be chased down via the forum search.

With over 335,025 Total Posts I expect there are multiple postings and broken links. The new folks sometimes get upset for referring them to the existing posts in order to answer their questions. Many members have spent hours compiling information in order to answer a question. Many questions are answered in great detail. There is little reason to rewrite the answer again, so the referral is used.

Links get broken for many reasons. Each time a new forum soft wear is put on line, links can be broken that do not transfer properly. When forum soft wear is updated which must be done on a regular basis, links can be broken. When links go to another web site and that web site makes changes, moves or deletes THEIR material, IFI links get broken. When links go to a site hosting photos, and the photos are moved or deleted by the individuals using that photo site, links can get broken. This is one reason many sites do not allow off site links.

To all

If you have an issue, contact me directly. I will discuss the issue with you and take your suggestions under consideration.  

If you wish to post in public, we will answer in public so we are not accused of sanitation, censorship or the next buzz word used to stir the pot. 

IForgeIron is a blacksmithing and metalworking site. Let us realign our anvils to North and get back to blacksmithing.

I have some silversmithing stakes that are made from ductile iron and as long as I'm working well anneal copper or silver on them they are great but they will dent when I'm working brass or bronze on them.

Like many things that are designed for a specific purpose, when you go outside that purpose the game changes. I doubt that you use a 3-4 pound hammer and a 200-300 pound anvil for the silver. Ductile iron silverstakes would support silver, and maybe copper, but not harder metals.