I Forge Iron

Hummingbirds

I 've checked the internet, and youtube, but I can't find and good examples of forged hummingbirds.  The ones I 've seen don't really look like hummingbirds to me.  They have big round ball like heads that hummers don't really have.  I've only seen one written tutorial on making a hummingbird and would like to see more.  My plan is to forge a few out of steal, and then forge a few out of bronze.  A bronze one will be a gift to a friend who loves hummingbirds.   

Bob S. Doesn't Bill Roberts make a really fine humming bird? I know someone in the Sandbox does.

The long tail versions give me a heck of an idea. Make long tailed birds to pivot on a perch and peck a wind chime in the wind.

Frosty The Lucky.

Bob S. Doesn't Bill Roberts make a really fine humming bird? I know someone in the Sandbox does.

The long tail versions give me a heck of an idea. Make long tailed birds to pivot on a perch and peck a wind chime in the wind.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not sure about Bill Roberts. Been a long time since artmetal...

But if you work out the hummingbird thing (pecking on chime) maybe you could 'tune' them to indicate the Beaufort Scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

Not sure about Bill Roberts. Been a long time since artmetal...

But if you work out the hummingbird thing (pecking on chime) maybe you could 'tune' them to indicate the Beaufort Scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

He moved to the Sandbox with the gang but doesn't post much anymore, too busy I think. someone in that gang does a splendid humming bird I just can't remember who.

I like the idea of tuning the hummers to a wind speed scale. Now I read it I realize I've been hearing the designations for some time. good idea Bob, thanks.

Frostilio

• 3 months later...

I finished the Hummingbird for a friend.  I posted in the welding section first, since I tig welded the beak and wings.   This was my first time working with bronze and I like the highlights/textures that you end up with.  It was coated with some Johnson Wax.

post-7487-0-92654100-1376872764_thumb.jp   

I make some that look like this.

post-6738-0-11450500-1376873391_thumb.jp

Start with flat 1/8" (11 gage) plate about 3 by 4 inches in the shape of a fat rain drop with a 2" beak extending out of the fat end (no sharp corners).

Dish the head first just behind the beak , then roll the wide edges under to form the body.  Spread the tail with a cross pien for texture and width.  A swedge block helps.  

The Bill Epps instruction is on AnvilFire, Iforge How to, and number 100. It looks nice and I will have to try that one.  That one was made of steel and mine was bronze.  I will try the Bill Epps version with the little piece of bronze I have left.  I did find that with bronze the beak tends to get to hot and will break off easily.  

lets try this again, it may have put the "by Bill Epps" in the URL 

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/

SoCal Dave is right it is on AnvilFire and #100.  I think it is better to split the one end 2/3's and 1/3. Then split the 2/3 side in half, using that portion (the 2/3) for the wings and the 1/3rd portion for the tail. you can do this with a band saw or hacksaw. Then heat the piece in the forge and bend either side out, and let it cool or normalize. (if you quench it will harden and be more difficult to split) then split the 2/3rds side in half. I use the same process when I make dutch oven lid lifters, 1/3rd for the hook and 2/3rds split in half for the "stabilizers".

Happy Hammering.

Dave

Sorry to be late to the game on this one but i just put 2 and 2 together for it :) plus, the reference wasnt published at the time!  however, looking at your finished bird, making it in bronze, and you also being in california, i suspect you may already know this.

in the july/august issue of the CBA magazine/publication there is a writeup on Dorothy Stiegler's bronze hummingbird with sketches, dimensions, and descriptions.  if you havent seen that it might be worth chasing down a copy.

Maybe someone here  knows where to find it. There is a you tube video of a german smith that forges a mouse over the anvil and leaves a very long distinctive tail on the mouse.. If you can learn how to forge the mouse, the humming birds on the wire with the long tails should be a similar process.

I believe FeWood (member here) is a member of the education committee, perhaps he could be of some more concrete assistance, i have only been a member for 3 months or so.  ill PM you some contacts, they are public domain on the CBA website but i feel somehow inconsiderate putting up somebody elses contact up for general consumption.