I Forge Iron

Monkey see monkey do

I was looking in the California blacksmith association magazine and I saw where they are puting together a competion to suspend or band rocks. It looked like fun so now I seem to have a new way to waste time. post-2097-0-62492200-1367734622_thumb.jp

post-2097-0-89245800-1367734590_thumb.jp

post-2097-0-72138300-1367734555_thumb.jp

Oh it's a California thing, got that right. However, it's obvious these are singing rocks needing cage. 'm sure they're not nearly as messy as a parakeet.

Thanks Loyd but we have plenty of rocks in spectacular piles all round us. Maybe folk on the plaines?

Oh no Dale it isn't dead just a sound sleeper. They're like big snakes that way, eat oec an eon and spend the next one sleeping it off.

Frosty The Lucky.

We really need winter to be over! They need those down in the desert where the rocks are leaving mysterious drag marks.

The Death Valley rock trails? That itty bitty bit we got yesterday isn't a morning dew compared to the kind of rain storm and wind that blow those rocks around the Death Valley hard pan.

Still, I'm with you in spirit, next precipitation we get I don't want to worry about slipping on it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Now that is cool! At the iron pour in Tucumcari, NM there was one of the locals that was taking some of the local rock and putting wax sprue rod around the rock and then putting shell around that and then pouring bronze, looked real nice having a rock in a bronze cage. I like these iron cages even better, Stone Age and Iron Age come together for the ultimate Christmas tree ornament, WOW!!!

metalmangeler-

Yours are fine rocks and holders. I didn't mean to imply they are inferior! I just wanted to show that out here in California we take rock hanging VERY seriously.

Keep up the good work!

No worries, Mark has plenty thick skin and I'm thinking there's more a cultural thing going. In Alaska we're a lot more likely to hang FROM rocks than hang the rocks so it'll take a couple tries to come up to championship projects.

Francis: Which river did you salvage the spike, plate, etc. from or where were you at the time? There's a slim chance I can fill in a little history on it. In one of my former professions we drilled test holes for bridges and foundations and got kind of intimate with Alaskan rivers.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

post-74-0-12423900-1371826269_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-23730000-1371826293_thumb.jpg

Doug Wilson of Deer Isle, Maine, ironed this rock with 1/4" square material about 20 years ago. He gave it to me as a present, a veritable treasure.

Sayings and Cornpone

"It's not the cough that carries you off.

It's the coffin they carry you off in."

My father, Willard Turley

The blacksmith shop in Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts has a rock bound in iron.  It hangs on the inside of the shop and is connected to two overhead pulleys and is attached to the smithy door.  A 19th century version of an automatic door closer.