I Forge Iron

Picking out a chunk of steel

Hello All, 

I wanted to get some suggestions from you guys. I had planned to start building a coal forge soon, only to have it halted by a big "NO" from someone regarding the smoke. The funds I have been slowly gathering for a nice anvil, will have to be diverted towards a gas forge now. At least until I save enough for an actual anvil. 

I was wondering what hunk of steel you would recommend in the below photo? All of it looks to be mild steel, the can to the right is a 55 gallon drum for size reference. I don't have exact measurement yet. But most of them look to be 8''x 8'' or so. I know it's a little vague without measurements, but this was the best I could do before they closed. 

This place charges 50 cents for every pound, but the guy told me he would cut a deal for the bigger ones.

Steels.jpg

Thanks! 

Mud

post-39576-0-37460500-1367125712_thumb.j

Buy as many as you can and sell them on your local craigslist. Since you will be buying many, talk the guy down to give you a better deal.

From what I read anvils a pretty scarce in CA, so people might me open to buying these.

Use the money you earned to buy a nice anvil, forge, and more of these steel blocks.

I'm drooling :o  and not just because of this bacon, egg and cheese sandwich I'm eating.  The one that is knuckle high.  There's a whole smorgusborg (however that's spelled) :rolleyes: .  I like laying 9 on it's side and welding 14 on top.  In a few weeks I should be finished with a forklift fork andvil I'm building.  I just love scrap! :lol:

You might take a little bit of time and look at all of them. Some times you will find the steel type written on the block with a paint marker. If you you could find a nice 80lb block of tool steel or medium carbon steel it would make a much better anvil than mile steel weighing twice as much.

For shape and size I think for general hand forging you would be pretty happy with anything 80lb or heavier. Something at least 3in thick by 5in wide and 10in tall. A 100lb "brick" of steel that was hardened and temper would have about the same forging ability as a English anvil twice its size. Any of the heavy forging is done over the center of the body and the heal and horn mostly for bending, hardy tools, punching, ext. Horn and Heel are very handy things and I would sorely miss them if they were gone, but many smiths have forge wonderful things over just a block of an anvil.

Also if you will have to move the anvil every time you want to forge from out of storage to say a drive way I would much rather use a dolly and move a 100lb or 200lb anvil on a stand than trying to move a 600lb anvil back and forth.

I personalty have a piece of 6in by 6in by 1ft tall that I use as an anvil in my shop. I have much larger anvils of a more traditional shape but still use the block from time to time. 

Good luck I am sure most any of those blocks will work well.

Mackenzie

Thanks guys, I'm limited on time to go out and see this place. So when I go back there, it will be for the chunk.

The person up front confirmed all of them to be mild steel. He did mention that they ocassionally get 4140 and tool steels (which will be marked)- although rarely. When they do it's, charged the same as mild steel. So it may be a gold mine for me to randomly check out from time to time. The dude was very nice.

It would be really nice to have a nice anvil, which I will definitely get down the road.

Take the fellow a coffee and dozen donuts, a dozen cookies, or at least something for helping you. The offer may adjust the price of the steel.

Be sure and return with something hand made as a thank you, a dinner bell for his kitchen (makes his wife happy) for instance

Wow, that is a great place. There is a place near me that sells mild for 0.45 and tube for 0.55 a pound. If you are short on money I would buy one of the smaller ones to get an idea of what it is that you realy need. The big ones are nice but mild steel weighs 0.2836 oz per cubic inch, a big piece would add up fast if you are not careful.

Definitely a gold mine!  Those bigger chunks will make nice stand-alone anvils even if they are mild steel, and you could always sell them to smiths that are wanting an anvil for a treadle/power hammer build.

I would get what could be afforded with a focus on the big chunks, and be sure to stay in touch with them in case the 4140 comes in any time soon.

While most looks useful to me, if I had to chooose one for an anvil, I'd pick 13 or 18. Mounted on end they'le have a great incident of rebound making for effecient forgig. Sure, something harder than mild would be nice but these are better than anvils for a few thousands of years. they have nice pins to be your horn and maybe mandrel.

By all means take coffee and donuts and later a few hand forged items. Having someone as an ally at the salvage yard is good, VERY GOOD.

Frosty The Lucky.

What a sweet find and a cheep price , i have found that a bribe to the owner with a hand made Knife helps with the price on just about every thing .  like many folks on here I would get as many as you need and sell a few to other folks yes the scrap yard feller could be your best friend for life .

Sam

I agree with what has been said already. You should buy as many of them as you can and then sell them on.

As for your anvil I'd definitely get one of the taller ones. Dig it down if needs be. But definitely one of the big ones.

The number 9 or the smaller ones would make great swage blocks if you could get them cut...
Andy

Apreciate the input fellas.

I may have misworded my post, my intent was to purchase just one chunk of steel. Not multiple pieces. Although I could make a few extra dollars selling them on the CL, it's not worth the effort. Time wise I'd also be very limited in trying to sell them.

If you got #5 you could build a Brian Brazel style anvil or with either one of the two small chunks to the left of #13 You could build Brian's other small anvil he forges his hammers on. You really don't need one of those huge hunks unless you want a herniated disk in your back. Yes, I know a lot of you knife makers just love them but Brian seems to do pretty good with a more manageable hunk of steel. You may want to do a search of some of his topics before you buy a big old hunk of steel. Just a thought.

Wow, that is a great place. There is a place near me that sells mild for 0.45 and tube for 0.55 a pound. If you are short on money I would buy one of the smaller ones to get an idea of what it is that you realy need. The big ones are nice but mild steel weighs 0.2836 oz per cubic inch, a big piece would add up fast if you are not careful.

I think you mean .2836 pounds per cubic inch.  Just a slip of the fingers, I guess.

Had a little cash today, so I stopped by the place for some 7/8 mild round.

Ended up getting the dimensions of those blocks. 

1) 7-1/8 x 6-3/8 x 19-1/8

2) 23-3/4 x 6-1/2 x 6-3/4

3) 25-1/8 x 5-1/4 x 6-7/8

4) 18-5/8 x 6-7/8 x 4-1/4

5) 20-1/4 x 8-3/8 x 3-1/4

6) 24-1/4 x 6-1/2 x 4-3/4

7) 22 x 7-3/4 x 3-1/4 

8) 16-1/8 x 5-3/8 x 7-3/8

9) 12-1/8 x 10 x 4-1/4

10) 6 x 6 x 20-1/2

11) 21-3/4 x 6 x 6

12) 16-1/4 x 7-1/4 x 8

13) 40-1/4 x 6-3/4 x 5-3/4

14) 4-5/8 x 12-3/4 x 14-3/8

15) 27-3/4 x 6-1/4 x 4-7/8

16) 19-3/4 x 8-5/8 x 8-3/8

17) 27-5/8 x 6-3/4 x 8-1/2

18) 34-7/8 x 5-7/8 x 4-5/8

19) 16 x 6-1/4 x 7-3/4

20) 9-1/4 x 6-1/2 x 12-1/4

21)18-1/8 x 7-3/4 x 4-3/4

22) 16-3/4 x 4-7/8 x 8-1/4

Take the fellow a coffee and dozen donuts, a dozen cookies, or at least something for helping you. The offer may adjust the price of the steel.

Be sure and return with something hand made as a thank you, a dinner bell for his kitchen (makes his wife happy) for instance

This may prove to be useful. The guy has been very nice, and more flexible with pricing than I thought. I mentioned that my next return would be with donuts, and he automatically gave me $10 off. lol

If you can arc weld and can afford it, what about using some hard facing rod on one of these, like Stoody 1105?  I've been meaning to do something like that to make an edge hardy since my anvil's edges are so worn, just never enough time in the day to do all that I would like.

If you can arc weld and can afford it, what about using some hard facing rod on one of these, like Stoody 1105?  I've been meaning to do something like that to make an edge hardy since my anvil's edges are so worn, just never enough time in the day to do all that I would like.

I cannot, however it is on my list of things to learn. Welding would be so useful.