I Forge Iron

Hey Fellows!

Those of you who frequently read my posts, respectively watch my videos, might already know that I try to work with as many blacksmiths as possible. Especially those in my youngster age. And also that I always have my camera at hand to capture the best moments for me and those that are interested in it as well.

So was it that I visited Alec in England over the Easter holly days. I´ve already worked with him two times before and he is not only a colleague, but also became a good friend of mine.

We had four days to work, but unfortunately I´ve been sick in the beginning, so we weren´t be as productive as we could have been. Nevertheless we made a bunch of very cool tools both for me and Alec and also some nice artistic items. Furthermore it was a good preparation for he demo at the NWBA in a few months.

This is all we´ve produced (On the huge sledge I´ve only made a new handle):

891669_525877234117522_1434135702_o.jpg

This is what I´ve taken home with me:

883352_525877014117544_162676784_o.jpg

Our last project: A Brazeal style fullering hammer (not a rounding hammer) from 40mm square 1045 steel:

887011_525880280783884_209863402_o.jpg

One day I was so sick that I could not forge. So I decided to film Alec whilst forging and we made a real little image film for his work. I put all my expertise and efford in the filming and the edit and I really hope it paid for it! (For who is interested: Camera: Canon EOS 650D (Rebel T1i), Lens: EF 24-70mm f/2,8 L II USM)

But see yourselves:

Last year Alec was on tour with the YoungSmiths, which is an international group of - who guessed it - youngs blacksmiths that was founded by Brian Brazeal. They traveled around the USA and gave public demos. I am always impressed, what skills this young lad, who only reaches up to my chest and is with 15 still three years younger than me, already has. This year I am supposed to also take a course at Brian´s and join the YoungSmiths as well! So my visit at Alec´s place also was meant as a preparation for summer.

We also filmed a tutorial about how to forge cranes: 

There are some more video that are not edited yet. If I decide to upload them I´ll post them here later.

I hope you enjoyed my little diary! I am looking forward to a lot of very cool experiences and good crafsmanship with Alec, Brian and the YoungSmiths in summer.

This was it from me so far!

Yours

- Daniel

At 5:27 you brush the flux off the face of the anvil, palm down using your finger prints. May I suggest that you use the back side of your hand or as Bruce Wilcock of the Shetland Isle UK does use the corner of your apron.

Palm down if you run a splinter or metal shard into your hand you are done hammering for the day as it hurts to even hold the hammer. Palm up you can still grip the hammer and finish a days work. The apron is best as no hands are put into harms way.

And oh yes, I like the shirt (grin) Thanks for wearing it for the video.

Thanks for this both Daniel and Alec.

Love watching the both of you in your skilled endeavours, very inspiring for other young guys like myself.

Daniel, great work with the video. The editing was magnificently do, it a pleasure to watch, with great skills shown in both arts (blacksmithing, and film) 

cheers again Joe

At 5:27 you brush the flux off the face of the anvil, palm down using your finger prints. May I suggest that you use the back side of your hand or as Bruce Wilcock of the Shetland Isle UK does use the corner of your apron.

Palm down if you run a splinter or metal shard into your hand you are done hammering for the day as it hurts to even hold the hammer. Palm up you can still grip the hammer and finish a days work. The apron is best as no hands are put into harms way.

Hey Glenn! I think that IFI shirt is actually mine that I outgrew during Young Smiths 2012 and passed on to Alec. :D

Alec...

Your performance as a blacksmith is continuing to a perfectionist...Congrats

And maybe this year with your return to the States we can get rid of the "funny" way you talk. Ha Ha..Of course just kiddin'

But remedial training in speach therapy will be available here any time you like.

David Gaddis

Carry on

Alec...

Your performance as a blacksmith is continuing to a perfectionist...Congrats

And maybe this year with your return to the States we can get rid of the "funny" way you talk. Ha Ha..Of course just kiddin'

But remedial training in speach therapy will be available here any time you like.

David Gaddis

Carry on

What about this canadian eh? :P

Josh

Welll...hopefully I will meet the Canadian sometime in the near future. And hopefully also, to see some of the work that he produces. Not trying to over-view Alec from you by any means...it is just that I have seen Alec in person. And the videos were of him doing the metal thing...so I offer kudos and accalades to him.

I found the videos to be of high quality...editing color composition and all. Comparred to us down here in the South Alec still sounds funny...so I have an open invitation to give him remedial training in how to speak SOUTHERN.

I am looking forward to meeting you too. Please accept my apologies for the oversight in not giving you the proper acknowledgement.

Carry on

Welll...hopefully I will meet the Canadian sometime in the near future. And hopefully also, to see some of the work that he produces. Not trying to over-view Alec from you by any means...it is just that I have seen Alec in person. And the videos were of him doing the metal thing...so I offer kudos and accalades to him.

I found the videos to be of high quality...editing color composition and all. Comparred to us down here in the South Alec still sounds funny...so I have an open invitation to give him remedial training in how to speak SOUTHERN.

I am looking forward to meeting you too. Please accept my apologies for the oversight in not giving you the proper acknowledgement.

Carry on

I wasn't seeing it as an oversight! just hoping I'm not a lost cause eh?

Josh

Dave, I'll be 'fickin to get ma'self daan to the speech lessons where i can 'git ma'self ta tawlk Souderrn...'Ya dig?

;) AHAHAHHA ;) I will put on my best Mississippian accent for you, David! You will be impressed ;)

Thank you very much for the wonderful comments, David! You are an awesome guy you were a great help to all us YOUNG SMITHS last year! Looking forward to seeing you again in july!!!

Thanks again everyone for the wonderful comments!!!

Alec

Greetings Daniel,

You are indeed a skilled young man. I wish I could have you come to my shops and share ideas..  You are allways welcome...  Keep up the great work.

Jim

Thanks for this both Daniel and Alec.

Love watching the both of you in your skilled endeavours, very inspiring for other young guys like myself.

Daniel, great work with the video. The editing was magnificently do, it a pleasure to watch, with great skills shown in both arts (blacksmithing, and film) 

cheers again Joe

Nice job Daniel and Alec! We're gearing up for this years International Young Smiths and looking forward to you, Alec, and Josh coming!

Nice job, videos and projects!

Fun videos, guys!  Keep up the good work. 
Look forward to watching/meeting Alex in 2 weeks in Longview, WA. 

I cant wait! this is gonna be good guys!

Thanks for all the video Daniel, you're a man of many talents. I'm also glad you let us know your real name.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks you all guys for those kind comments. I appreciate all your props!