I Forge Iron

Slate Shingle Hammer

stuarthesmith

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... My school recently did a short course on slate roofs. A friend of mine really enjoyed working with the slate, and wants to do a bit more of it.  During the course, they cut the slate with a bench top shear that looked like a big paper cutter.  I'm looking to make some kind of tool(s) for my friend - just not sure what.  This slaters hammer looks pretty useful. I've also seen some photos of old 'slaters axes'...

Stuart, would you mind suggesting an appropriate type of steel to use, and what parts of the tool need to be hardened (and how hard)?  Slate seems fairly soft, so I'd imagine toughness wins out over a sharp cutting edge; although part of the tool you show is a hammer.  Have the slaters you deal with mentioned what shape of a point is best for punching the nail holes in a tile? Round, triangular, square?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Neil

Thanks for the suggestion DSW - I'll take a look for a design of one of those to borrow ideas from.  I'm not sure how much he'll end up doing, as there isn't a lot of slate roofs in this area.  He just really enjoyed working with it, and we have piles and piles of the stuff kicking around behind the barn at school... 

I don't know what steel Stuart is using but I would say any spring steel would be good.  5160 or something similar.  I would differentially harden the tool. Temper the body to a spring temper and then harden the claw tips and point a little harder.  Especially with this being used on a roof bending would be far better than breaking