I Forge Iron

Worst condensation in the shop I've seen

Grundsau

Thanks for the tips.
A fan has been running for awhile and things are starting to dry off.
There are so many cracks to let in outside air that I'm not sure a light would cover both sections of the shop.

T-storms are in the forecast and we are under a flood watch.

macbruce, I've been told to ditch that guard.
Should I keep it?
This summer I'm changing out the spring and adding another adjustable arm on the right side.

Forgot to leave a fan running in the shop yesterday and overnight and have never seen it this bad.
Temps went from low 30's to 64 today.
Every hunk of metal has condensation

I'm right up the road, ... in York County, ... and had exactly the same conditions today.

Everything dripping wet.

But it's been worse.

Sometimes, when the fog condenses on the underside of the metal roof, it "rains"  in the shop, ... and forms paralell lines on the floor.  :unsure:

I don't know if you guys can use his idea or not? My Uncle used to have this in our basement for taking out the moisture in the air and it worked great. he used to get 40lbs of melting salt (halite) and put it in a burlap sack and hang it above a drain in the basement. he also had on in his work shop over a bucket. it sucked the air dry and nothing ever had water on it when it was humid down there.

I haven't tried it in the barn but I suspect it works just as well. you may need more bags for a bigger area.

Same problems here. I was worried about my neglected lathe (it needs a bit of work before its useful yet), but the coat of oil on it seems to have prevented much rust. My anvils and hammers on the other hand, are absolutely saturated, and since I didn't have time to wipe them down before work this morning, I'm expecting that to turn into a layer of ice by the time I get home. That I'm less worried about though, ill just work it off :). Temps are dropping fast here!

Why would you want to remove the guard? Does it hamper with normal operation? If the guard saves your face from a broken spring it sounds like a great thing to me. That spring will break some day, they always break. Springs just don't last forever. It may brake and just fall right on the floor but a number of them have exploded across the shop.

I need to make some type of guard for my 50lb giant, This type of guard looks promising 

Thanks for the tips.
A fan has been running for awhile and things are starting to dry off.
There are so many cracks to let in outside air that I'm not sure a light would cover both sections of the shop.

T-storms are in the forecast and we are under a flood watch.

macbruce, I've been told to ditch that guard.
Should I keep it?
This summer I'm changing out the spring and adding another adjustable arm on the right side.

This is the guard I put on my 50# LG. Old school is to thread a piece of cable inside the spring or wrap it in a tube, Canvas, leather, etc. radiator hose would work.

I used screen so I can see the spring. It has a fresh coat of paint as well, the red parts are the ones to keep an eye on. A fresh coat of paint is an early warning indicator of metal failure. If the spring or whatever develops a crack the paint will peel before the part fails.

Looking for peeling paint on the drill rig became as natural as breathing and never failed to let us know something needed attention.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-0-67700400-1359703972_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I don't know if you guys can use his idea or not? My Uncle used to have this in our basement for taking out the moisture in the air and it worked great. he used to get 40lbs of melting salt (halite) and put it in a burlap sack and hang it above a drain in the basement. he also had on in his work shop over a bucket. it sucked the air dry and nothing ever had water on it when it was humid down there.

I haven't tried it in the barn but I suspect it works just as well. you may need more bags for a bigger area.

The salt he was using was calcium chloride. It's used in some commercial humidity-adsorbers.