I Forge Iron

Anyang 33 or build a Tire Power Hammer?

Hello everybody, I've bought the plans for a Clay Spencer Tire Hammer and am at a crossroads. It looks fairly complicated to build, but I'm thinking with my Dad's help it's possible. Overal cost probably $1,500-2,000. My power at the space I'm renting limits me to a motor that is under 1 1/2hp, the lights dim every time I run my 1hp equipment. Anything larger than a 33 requires a 5hp motor which would mean I would have to run those with my generator. Does anyone have experience with both of these machines to give me a decent comparison? My power situation won't improve until I buy property and set up a proper shop.

The tire hammer uses a 1 hp motor.  You should be able to build it for about $1,000.00 using new materials, less if you can salvage some or all.  Considering your power restrictions I would think the Tire Hammer.  It is a lot like using a 50# Little Giant.

Personally, I do not like the self contained hammers because they are noisy when running.  With the tire hammer all you will hear is the dies hitting hot metal.

I'll probably irritate droves of folks for saying this, but it's true.. Anyang 33 is a lot like a power hammer, 'cept it don't move metal very good. If your trying to knock down 3/4 or 1 inch stock, bring a sandwich. If your working 1/2 stock or less, it does okay, but I can keep up with the 33 by hand, for 20 minutes or so. I suppose if you were tapering 1/2 inch stock for 6 hrs, day after day, it would be the machine of choice. Until the oiler quit.

First how long have you been blacksmithing. A power hammer is really for production work. I have used the clay spencer hammer and it is very good running hammer. Second what is your welding background to build the hammer you should be able to weld. The advantage to building the hammer is you will know how every thing works with time and ware items will need to be fixed or replaces on all hammers. 

I used to have a 33 and mine had no problem with one inch stock, that thing was snappy.    I couldn't have kept up with it for five minutes.  No way.  The control is amazing.

My only issues with the hammer were the small dies and small throat.  Thats a good point about resale, I know I lost no $.  I still wish I wouldn't have sold the thing.   Mike is right, it excels for smaller work.  Oh man, and pipe work!  Tippy tap tap.

The 33# anyangs I sold in the UK required 1ph , 240v 2.2 kw (3 hp)

I can easily draw the end of a 1" sq bar into a 6" long taper , down to a point, in one heat, in a very timely fashion.

I have kept a 33lb anyang for myself, even though I dont sell them anymore. Ive had my one 5yrs+.

Its faster than my 2cwt Massey for small tapering and pointing work due to the increased frequency of blow.

I dont 'have a horse in the race' anymore , but have kept a 33# anyang in the stable. It wouldnt be there if it diddnt work. Lots of hammers pass through my shop :D

I love my 15 kg / 33 lb Anyang , admit i had to put 20 amp 240 v ( OZ power ) into my shop to run it .

As for Mike hr's comment about it not working steel above 13 mm / 1/2" he mustn't ave had his steel hot enough .

i've worked up to 32 mm / 1 1/4" stainless steel under mine & if any 1 know how tuff stainless can be knows what i'm talking about .

Make a reciever box to except spring dies & it opens a whole new world into forging  .

I wouldn't  / couldn't live without mine now , no way could i keep up with it hand hammering .

My 2 cents worth

Dale Russell

i have an anyang 88, so im not much help with the comparison.  You can't go wrong with an anyang, James Johnson is great to deal with, and his customer service is second to none.  I love my 88, i couldn't live without it!  Resale won't be a problem when you upgrade.  As far as keeping up with the 33, you'd need a bionic arm, the 33 hits fast, and from what i have seen 1 inch stock is not a problem.

Self contained hammers are noisy, but for what they lack in silence, it is made up for in control.

I've never used an Anyang 33, but I have used a similar 100+ pound hammer, a similar 50 pound, and a self contained 400 pounder. They all were great with precision hitting. If you see yourself doing a lot of tooling work I'd recomend the self contained hammer.

If you want to put metal between the dies and beat the crap out of it in a hurry, you can't do better than the tire hammer. It puts out a lot of wam in a little amount of time. I've forged 2-inch solid square 4140 on mine.

Clay uses tooling under his tire hammers and you can get tooling plans from him or through him as well. However, I dislike using tooling under a tire hammer because the single hit controlability is just not there. I've had mine for over a year and use it nearly every time I'm in the shop. I also use a 60 pound compressor run air hammer on a daily basis. I do all my hand-held tooling under the air hammer and my forging under the tire hammer. It just depends on what you'll be doing more of.

If it's going to cost you $1500 to $2000 to build a tire hammer, and you decide a mechanical hammer is what you need, I would strongly suggest shopping for a 25 pound Little Giant. If you shop around, you should be able to get an OK one for that price, and they are hard working forging machines. It will save you a lot of head scratching and a lot of time.

I would also strongly consider looking into getting a stronger power service to your work space.