I Forge Iron

Anvils of the world... Who makes the most beautiful anvils?

I have a few anvils and have coveted a few from a distance.

where do the most beautiful anvils come from?

long slender heeled American anvils

london pattern for that a priori anvil look

loverly Piggy shaped french anvils

German ones both wide and slender...

Swedish?

Russian?

I would love to see your beauties.

This may be a bit like how horses have changed where they kept going for smaller "pretty feet" only to find that they might not be a useful as the older larger and stronger ones.

My large Fisher is not nearly as "pretty" as the Trenton? 100 pounds lighter than it; but it's the Fisher that's by the forge!

These two just happened at the right time in my world of smithery. The 250 #Trenton was at a garage sale! I used it for over 35 years. The 250 # Fontanini was delivered by Steve, and he gave me a good deal on it. He was already heading to Albuquerque, so that helped with shipping. I like the Trenton. I like the Fontanini, and I have four Hay-Buddens in the shop. Face it. I like 'em all!post-74-0-54806800-1355960409_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-47056900-1355960455_thumb.jpg

I'm not a fan of the long heeled ones personally. No particular reason why just my opinion.

I'd not seen a French one until recently. And despite the odd look they are quite cool. I wonder if there is an advantage to doing it that way?

My personal favourite has always been the south German style with the double bicks. They look cool.

Another question might be which is your favourite anvil of the one/ones you own.

I've got three just now. A small RR anvil that has been lent to a very talented young armourer who needed something solid to beat on.
A small 62kg unknown anvil that despite its beaten up appearance, I have a real soft spot for it. Don't think I could get rid of it very easily.

The last one is my big anvil. 117kg, Peter wright. Beast!

Andy

I'm with the previous poster: I love all my anvils---often for different reasons. Some I love for their long thin heels others for their short massive heels, some for their flat faces others for their swaled faces; thin horns, broad horns; single hardy holes, double hardy holes---they all are "just the right one" to use at some point. If I didn't like one they would be out the door to someone else who could offer them a loving home---has happened in the past I run a list of folks wanting to buy my "excess anvils"...

I have a small collection of terribly abused anvils and I try to do *something* on them every once in a while just so they don't feel abused and abandoned. (and to show folks that you *can* do good work even on a terribly abused anvil)

Lol. Thankee, ma'am. Might as well love it. It's what I have to work with. Have to say, the fact that it's broken just means I get to come up with more tools to replace what's missing.

Honestly, though, I love the double-horned anvils. Very elegant.

• 2 weeks later...

The question is who makes the most beautiful anvils, not who made them. Some modern anvils are very functional and that might make some people look on the new ones as beig "ugly" because they are made for no other reason but functuion. I actually like functional items. Is a Euro beautiful? Possibly not but a very functional design. The US made Rhinos have a horn which is a machined cone so deadly accurate. Is that as beautiful as a Brooks horn with a seductive flare?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.