I Forge Iron

how much have you hauled in your car?

ironsmith

Lets see...my poor cavalier (Glad its gone!)

separate trips here:

generator hanging out the trunk by straps (actually only about 150#, but comically large)

10, 50# bags of sand

40 1x4x10ft boards (this made the stearing quite light actually)

more bags of topsoil that the trunk could close on (the only time I was close to bottoming out the suspension)

I am sure I did a few others comically overloaded runs in this poor car. I'll get picture up later.

Phil

When the green live oak stump rolled from my friend Kirk's truck to the back of my Volvo wagon...I thought the front wheels were going to lift off the ground. Put the back seats down to get the weight over the rear wheels. Live oak is heavy, 55 lbs a cubic foot dry something like 90 lbs wet and the stump was 16 inches in diameter and 30 inches long, 300 lbs I think in one compact mass. Drove home slowly that day.

Also loaded a big cast iron forge, Tiger blower and post vise in that car, all coated with oil that kept them from rusting in the shed they were in. Ruined a good tarp and pair of gloves that day. That was another load that would have crushed my puny self between it and the engine block!

out for a days drive with the wife a few years back when we passed an antique/ reclamation yard.

The owner had his gates proped open with a couple of cone mandrels, of course we had to stop and look around ( for we read I)

When he told me the price of them I bit his hand off - from the expresion on his face you could tell he was kicking himself for not asking more. :D

Trying to fit the mandrels into the back of a proton was fun, as luck would have it we were on the way home.

About 6 or 7 years ago when I was still in college I went to an auction to bid on a 5-1/2" postvice with my 1998 chevy malibu. Ended up coming home with a small horizontal bandsaw, the post vice, an armstrong round bar shear and enough old car part catalogs, popular science and adult magazines to fill up the trunk, back seat and the passenger seat to the roof. The auctioneer bundled the rod shear with the old books & magazines so I had to take them If I wanted the tool. Drove home with my right arm against the books in the passenger seat to keep the pile from falling on me. My buddies and I burned that junk all night at a bondfire and I still ended up with 4 or five large boxes that went to the curb.

Loaded a 850kg milling machine on my little truck with 650kg capacity, And the loading tackle as well. And two big men in front. It was a slow trip.

And once loaded 4.5 tons of stuff on a truck with 3 ton capacity. 3 people in front, me without the right permit and an hours drive home. I was very glad we didn't see a policeman.

Can't say I overload it but at the moment the only vehicle I have for hauling stuff around in is a Subaru Legacy GTB (complete with Subaru STI twin turbo engine) ... regularly is filled in the back with metal, bits of scrap, dogs and children and hauls all my stuff filled to the roof, and my market stall every week to the market.... I keep saying i need to get a van, but hey, who else can say they have a works vehicle that does 280bhp 0-60 in about 6 seconds! :) Although I seriously doubt it can do that with heaps of metal in the back!!!

Second last time I moved workshops I rented a 4.5 tonne truck, we bottomed out the suspension, so it was definitely overloaded... thankfully no damage to the suspension, it was only an hours drive away. Next time I moved I rented a 7.5 tonner!!!

I used to have a 1/4 ton Dodge Ram Van.  Late 80s model if I remember right.  I used to fill it with 2 tons flooring tiles on a regular basis.  So only over loaded by a factor of 4.  I would go through a set of brakes in 3 months.  When I bought it It had 136,000 miles on it.  When I got rid of it finally it had 250,000 miles on it.  That was the most profitable $1000 I ever spent.

years ago i went to a horse auction. someone bought  pony for thier kids and didnt have a way to get it home. i suggested they take back seat out and tie it with baling twine on the roof and put pony in back. so pony in back with 3 kids, 2 adults and akid in front seat  and away they went. they had about an hours drive. i guess they made it ok but the car must have had a awful mess in it. it still  gives me chuckles.

Over 20 years ago I had a Chevy Monza hatch back for the family. I also used it for side jobs on the weekends. You would see me driving around pulling a Lincoln SA200 on a trailer hatch back open full of tools and product and the rear bumper draging on the ground. Looked pretty funny and not very professional, but hey we all gotta start somewhere.  ;)

I once moved a 400kg section roller in the back of my Citroen 300 miles home, the same car has carried TIG welders, anvils,gas and coal forges, now my daughter carries my grandson around in it.

The funniest cargo I heard of was my son's cycling coach won a pig at a track meeting, he put it squealing onto the rear seat of his car, (the boot/trunk) was full of his bikes. When he got home he opened the rear door, yes you guessed, the pig jumped out and ran away, leaving a stinking mess on the back seat.

Used to work on oil rigs. One was in an area notable for herds of feral burros, A rig crew headed to town one night got a young burro blinded by the headlights, They jumped out and wrestled him into the back seat Once he could see again he was not kind to either them or the crew car. They were happy to get a door open and let him escape.