I Forge Iron

Monster Reed Vise 106

Nothing2read

Hello my fellow vise loving friends.

My wife doesn't really seem to appreciate old iron like I do so i thought I would share with the forum. Check out this beauty I picked up today. A Reed 106 weighs 133lbs and has 6inch jaws. I put the old can in there for a size reference. This vise makes all my other vises look like babies. I think the Rock Island I got yesterday could fit in its jaws.

post-28637-0-25382000-1352938343_thumb.j

I got a very large Reed mounted to platen table I bought for scrap prices. The handle was missing, the jaws were frozen, and the locking screws for the base are seized. I made a handle for it out of 1" round rod and got the jaws freed up. I never did get the locking screws freed up. I think that thing weighs well over 150 pounds.

Nice vise. This vise was made in my original home town of Erie, Pa. What is cool is that they are still located there (use to ride the schoolbus pass the ivy covered brick building daily) and I believe continue to mfg. "heavy duty" vices in the USA (although some of their "economy" vices are made in the far east).
http://www.reedmfgco...ench_pipe_vises

http://www.reedmfgco.com/index.html?screen=faqs

MILO

• 4 years later...

I have a Reed 106R vise that,I found in an empty field out in the CA desert... orher than old paint and one of the balls on the end of the handle, it is in very good shape... It has 6"wide jaws and opens an honest 12" ... my question is.... what years was model of vise built ?   It is a monster... I just mounted it on the new welding truck I am building...thanks to anyone that might know the years of manufature... 

20170703_173801.jpg

20170703_173816.jpg

so, I guess it was built after 1938...I had looked into the patent # also and never got anywhere...

Ironically I also have a Wilton 9400 that was bolted to an old metal bench in a saw mill that burned down back in 2003... I took it apart to clean it, etc... found a date of 11-52 inside... my understanding is that date is the end of a 5 year warranty period, thus it was built in November of 1947.. It'll be a nice smaller vise when I'm done with it...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 11:03 AM, Boltxtron said:

so, I guess it was built after 1938...I had looked into the patent # also and never got anywhere...

Ironically I also have a Wilton 9400 that was bolted to an old metal bench in a saw mill that burned down back in 2003... I took it apart to clean it, etc... found a date of 11-52 inside... my understanding is that date is the end of a 5 year warranty period, thus it was built in November of 1947.. It'll be a nice smaller vise when I'm done with it...

Note quite, but that was the common theory for years.  Recently, a bunch of guys did a lot of research based on a thread on another forum, and with hundreds of examples to go by, figured out the specifics.  

The short version is that if the key isn't stamped with "GUAR EXP" and a date, the vise was manufactured during the month/year it was stamped.  Only vises with the GUAR EXP and a date were made five years prior to the date stamp.  It appears that the 5-year post dating started in late 1954 and ended in 1960.  Vises built from 1941 to some point in 1945 had no date stamp at all, so the earliest date stamps will be 1945.

The other thing to note is that the date code isn't necessarily when the vise was cast, it was when it was completed, and released for sale.  Some models were cast in very large lots that took decades to deplete.  The most commonly seen examples are the 2" jaw baby models.  Almost all of them were cast in Chicago, but we've seen examples with date stamps on the slide going well into the 1980s as I recall.  All of them that I've had were stamped in the 1960s, long after Wilton left Chicago in 1957...they must have hauled a lot of them from Chicago to Schiller Park!

I'm going to publish an article on this on my website soon...the question comes up all the time, so it'll be nice to have a ready reference for folks.

On the Reed, the patent was for the split collar and adjustable nut stop that lets you adjust all the lash out of the spindle...it's a great feature.  Yours was probably made no later than the 1950s because the very last run had replaceable jaws and ended in the 1960s...going off memory.  You have one of the absolute best 6" vises ever made...I'd love to have that one!

• 1 year later...