I Forge Iron

New retirement shop finally started

Larry H

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ayup, that certainly IS broken ground and it seems you're well into refilling it with a shop. Room for the addition when you run out of room seems available. You ARE going to run out of room you know, retirement is a wonderful time for gathering more tools.

Nice retargeting of productive time Larry. Being retired doesn't mean sitting around or it wouldn't have TIRED in it. Free to do as you wish, provided the honey do list isn't too extensive. Of course. <grin>

Frosty the Lucky.

I sure do Bryan all I need to do is finish the shop, organize what's in it and make room for the connex full. Not that I'm keeping my eyes open for more tools and equipment . . . It's a disease I tell you, a DISEASE!

I like it though.

When we gonna see you again? If we can get someone to critter sit Deb and I may take a road trip up your way. Deb's never been farther north than McKinley park and we have a new truck that's a joy to drive. Heck it even gets decent mileage.

Frosty the Lucky.

I like the look of the location!
What's with the big trench and then shuttering? We tend to dig to size and use the natural ground as a shutter?
I'm not trying to be a wise ***! I genuinely would like to understand the reasoning in the prosess?
Ian

I sure do Bryan all I need to do is finish the shop, organize what's in it and make room for the connex full. Not that I'm keeping my eyes open for more tools and equipment . . . It's a disease I tell you, a DISEASE!

I like it though.

When we gonna see you again? If we can get someone to critter sit Deb and I may take a road trip up your way. Deb's never been farther north than McKinley park and we have a new truck that's a joy to drive. Heck it even gets decent mileage.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty you are welcome any time, any time at all. I've been trying to wrangle a way to come down and visit but the universe has been against me and I haven't been able to. I tried real hard to make the July meeting and come to the big class but things didn't work out finacially.

We got a used motor home and the breaks on it cost us $2200. They had to redo everything. You know you have a problem when you go to take the disk break off the axel and it breaks off in your hands and leaves the hub on the axel. I had to farm out the work and it ate up our reserve. But its all good. We have a nice motor home now. I'm taking it in to get winterized this week. Anyway, we will figure it out. Me coming down, you coming up. Fire and steel, ain't it wonderfull?

"What's with the big trench and then shuttering? We tend to dig to size and use the natural ground as a shutter?
I'm not trying to be a wise xxxx! I genuinely would like to understand the reasoning in the process?
Ian "

Ian, he is waaay up north, almost in Canada, so they have to dig the footing trench deep to get below the frost line, and wide to put gravel drainage around it, or the foundation will heave and crack during the brutal winters.***

***For those of you trying to play along on the home game (international edition), we refer to those fortunate individuals who come down south for a winter tourist break to experience a few days of warmth, sunshine and snow-free ground as "snow birds". While a white Christmas is a good thing, a white Thanksgiving to white Easter begins to pale.

John, thanks for the explanation! for those with virtual/actual permafrost(snow birds as you so quaintly put :D ) that makes a lot of sence, much like the use of cinders in heaving clay..
I got lost 2 years ago in New York while I was trying to find Larry's place(I did'nt mind though as I got to see some great gates where John Lennon was shot!) and I was presuming that he was'nt far off the world famous New York Bedrock..

I want to see your drawing of where your forge and tooling is going to sit in the shop, then we can all have a chuckle as you fill up the shop and put a lean to on the outside. My wife landscaped outside my shop too, but she rarely sets a foot inside, I purposely keep a lot of dirty stuff right near the door to discourage her strolling around inside, yuk yuk!

• 1 month later...

there is a five foot elevation change from the right front to the left rear. there was no way I could put a slab. I needed about 100 yards of fill to make it level. 5' plus 42" to the frost line = a nine foot wall in the rear, 4' in the front, so far its a monetary nightmare