I Forge Iron

Quad-State 2012 Information at last!

• 4 weeks later...

I have gone through my shop, I will be bringing shaping tools, hardies, a lot of tongs , 5 anvils, a stake set that has never been used and a stake plate, a small fly press, and a foot press, 2 benchtop cones, handled fullers, and handled swages, and maybe some wrought iron as well. Hope the weather holds...

I haven't been in a few years and was looking forward to going this year. The demonstrator list looks good as well.

But I just got about 2 months work in the shop a week ago and have only 3 more weeks to finish it, I also have some product development that I have to finish as well. So looks like QS is out this year :( and the canoe trip I was hoping to do this fall will end up with snow falling if I get out.

spent most of the day unloading from the Minnesota conference and loading for SOFA
We leave 5 am Wed trying to arrive to set up the tent before dark
couple hundred people there wed night but of course the conference dont start till Friday night but by Saturday morning some of the nice things may have sold a couple of times or more with a higher price each tiime.
Last year was the time to buy anvils as the guy from New Mexico or somewhere near there was not there buying anvils by the trailer load(s)
Only bringing the UMBA video library to sell (hint bring your list of what you already got so you dont get the same ones again)
Only bringing one bicycle anvil this trip saving space to buy more stuff

Fred from South of Mountainair, NM. First Q-S he went to he bought 30 anvils and had to go buy a trailer to get them home. He doesn't smith; just likes anvils---built a pole barn just for them where he keeps them lined up on the concrete floor. They are safe and dry there and someday will probably hit the market again---perhaps NM won't be "anvil poor" then!

He generally shows up early and leaves before the conference gets started so anvils that come in later are still there.

well we loaded 2 trucks full of heavy metal goodies today, I had to go put some extra air in the tires cause they were looking a bit squashed. we should get there about 3 or so, (Seldom and I), get the canvas tent up, some tables out and hopefully remember to put out the IFI banner, stop by and say hi, silver dodge pickup with a white cargo trailer, Seldom drives a red pickup truck. Stop by and share a tale or two!

I'll be there on Friday only. I'll have out a big wool 'trade blanket' with lots of sets of tongs for sale, axes, and sundry other things out for everyone interest. I'll have some fine bluegrass music running on my portable XM satellite boom box behind me. When you hear the bluegrass ...you'll know it's me !! Stop by and introduce yourself. It's always great to put new faces with names.
Ohio Rusty

Purveyor/Blacksmith of
The Ohio Frontier Forge
S.E. Ohio