I Forge Iron

Super Duper Quench and it’s Free!

ciladog

With all these threads on quenches lately I thought I would share with the member the super duper, super hardening quench I discovered while trying to save some money on kitty litter.

I got to thinking that there must be something that I could do with cat urine and save on litter. So I built a small platform for my cat’s litter box and drilled a small hole in the bottom. I painted the bottom of the box to look like litter so the cats still scratch before they go. I collect the urine in a bottle under the box.

After about 2 years of collecting the fruits of my idea, I had enough to fill my slack tub. You can imagine how surprised I was when I was able to harden A36 to Rockwell 62 by quenching in of all things, cat urine.

There is one problem though. It smells worse than coal smoke but I get around that with a cover on the tub and turning on my exhaust fan when I quench.

It may even work with dog urine but I haven’t tried that as I no longer have a dog.

Depending on the number of cats you have you could be using super duper quench in the year 2014!

Funny you should mention this but in "The Best of the Hammer" there is record of an experiment a fellow did trying to replicate a possible early plating process which was said to use camel urine reduced in an iron pot. Not having access to camels he made a similar cat litter box but used plain sand and collected the urine. Reduced it in a sealed iron pot and was able to get cyanide compounds that were able to dissolve the gold leaf he had making the original process a definite possibility!

The urine quenching I have done was using the exhaust bath of a traditional indigo dye vat based on 5 gallons of urine.

Had such an amusing smell when hot steel hits it!

• 2 weeks later...