I Forge Iron

blacksmith toys and statues complaint.

ironsmith

Here's an exception.

post-816-0-38342400-1343564596_thumb.jpg post-816-0-57443000-1343564634_thumb.jpg post-816-0-95945600-1343564661_thumb.jpg

This is a trophy awarded at our AGM in September to a student with less than 3 years into learning the Craft, (further entry details can be found on our guild website www.blacksmithsguild.com )

The trophy was made by Robert Hobbs (now a gold medal holder from the WCB) and other guild members.

The figurines depict Frank Day, the founder of our Guild, and Paul Allen as the apprentice making the test piece of a Guild Lily to qualify for Craft membership of the Guild.

The panels around the base of the trophy depict various stages and achievements in the life of Frank Day.

heres an unpopular viewpoint ...if you are a blacksmith you should be able to make horse shoes. Its called being "well rounded "
how many of the smiths currently teaching were shoers ? more than you take notice of. I'm not saying you should start shoeing,
but don't dismiss old blacksmith skills because you aren't interested in that aspect of the smithing trade. Bruce Daniels, extremely skilled smith and shoer, could make a complete shoe with a clip in one heat !. Now that is a Master Blacksmith

just because you can make a shoe does not meean you should put the shoe on!!! i can make a shoe just fine but you would have to put the horse down after i got it shoed if i could get more than one shoe on. there is alot more to the art of being a farrier.

Matto is absolutely right about there being more to farriery than just making the shoe. Anatomy of the horse is paramount study for a farrier, as it should be. Shoes, improperly applied will cause permanent damage to a horse. I once considered studying to become a farrier, but the thought of causing a horse to go lame, if I goofed up was enough to put me off.

Other than horse shoes, I can't name a single thing anyone in the non-smithing public would say is made by a blacksmith. Fireplace pokers?

Our friends and family know better, but if you asked 100 random people what a blacksmith does, how many do you think would say "horseshoes"?

My guess would be better than 90 out of a hundred.

In America we are a "frontier culture" not much population density compared to Europe. If you were the only smith around you did *everything* including wagon making and farrier work.

In denser populated areas people specialized more and would even get upset if asked to shoe a horse as they were a locksmith or tool smith or did only ornamental ironwork, or...

Sure I could forge a "shoe like object" but a true farrier could take one look at it and start pointing out where I was wrong. On the other hand I sure make a lot more pattern welded steel that most smiths did 100 years ago!

woody! do people REALLY say that stuff? brilliant :)

john - that trophy is staggering! absolutely beautifully made :)

i dont really care about the whole farrier thing, i think the farriers are highly highly skilled and im always fascinated to talk to them and see what they do differently. quite often they have a go at decorative stuff in down time - its an interesting crossover.

just take it as an opportunity to teach folks a new word. Do you shoe horses? No that is what a Farrier does. My boss picks at me in good fun and calls me the farrier. But. Just the other day he said he saw someone shoeing horses and that he now knows what profession that is. So he learned something. What's the big deal. I for one would be a little afraid to shoe a horse. Seems to me that the farrier is in a precarious position. If the horse decides he doesn't like it the farrier doesn't win I'm thinking.

why is it all blacksmith toys, paintings and statues have a blacksmith with a hammer in one hand and a pair of tongs holding a
horse shoe. that's kind of annoying for sure :rolleyes: <_<

Saw this on CL....It kinda displays exactly what you're talkin about.....Hope you don't find it too annoying...... :P :lol:

post-15096-0-17421200-1344343312_thumb.j