I Forge Iron

Lost my shop, fire

Alan B

This is trivial compared to some of the heart felt request I see here. Through my life I've tried to be a good husband, father, friend and christian to all I come in contact with. So I asking for prayers as to how God would want me to proceed. On Monday June 4, 2012, my blacksmith shop burned to the ground. After 3 days of sorting through the rubble I realize it was a total loss. At this stage in my life it would be very difficult to start from scratch, not because I don't want to, but I just don't know what to do. My request is simple. Please pray for the Lord to give me guidance and for me to listen and hear what he says. Thank you all.

Having ones shop burn and all that is in lost is a blow to any man's heart and soul. God will not leave you without a direction to go for his will lead you on. When I was physically injured in an auto accident and lost the use of my body for smithing I felt much the same way, a total loss. What and where did God want me to go and do with my life? He will be with you, I know he will, look to Job and how God was with him through it all. I will be praying for what is to be your way in life with God and smithing, He will guide you. I had great plans but the Master had others for me. He will not forsake you.

You're on the list here. Keep in mind the Lord doesn't put challenges to us we can't bear. Without challenges life doesn't mean as much. Hang in there Alan, we're pulling with and for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Alan,
Very sorry to hear about the fire and loss. Where are you located? Are there any blacksmith groups in your area?
I am working on a talk for a retreat this July. "Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous and strong".
We will keep you in our prayers.
Jerry

Alan, I am very sorry to hear about this, a fire is about the best and worst thing to a blacksmith, we play with it everyday, and yet are at it's mercy. I hope things work out for you, I wish you all the goodwill from my heart. You will find a way through this. Colleen

Alan, I'm so sorry to read that. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to live with that. I don't know you and I don't believe in God but I swear, with all my heart, I'm sending you the best vibes that I can. I'm sure you'll find a way to recover from this. Life has always surprises for us, good or bad, but after what happened to you, only good can come out. Best wishes from Canada.

John_zXz

Alan,

Hold fast, brother smith.

Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name. When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them. With long life I will satisfy them, and show them my salvation.

Prayers sent from Florida. When I was a teen, we lived on a twenty-acre spread in Alabama and our house burned to the foundation. We had nothing except our clothes. My father lost everything. Today the place has grown to forty plus acres and a newer house. Once it dawned on us that we were all fine, we had faith and each other. We saw opportunity and my sincere hope is that you will too.

Dave

You are in shock right now so take that into consideration before making any major decisions and in addition to prayer, I'll give some personal testimony. I have lost my shop to bad windstorms twice in the last twenty years and although I certainly believe fire is worse because it gets everything, having the entire shop blown away on two occasions was tough. The power hammer and anvil were all I had left which didn't get damaged or blown away; I picked up what I could find in the pasture and hauled the rest of it to the dump - then started rebuilding.

If nothing is salvageable, then I'd send all the metal items to a scrap yard, pick a new site and start again if it's in your heart to do so. Remember that Job lost everything and it was restored to him ten-fold. God bless and keep you.

Brother Alan,

I lost my home two times but was spaired my daughters life and mine on several different times fire took our home twice and cancer almost took our lives hers at 18 monts old mine at 40 . we both beat it by the Grace of the Good Lord above . I dont know How I may be able to help you out with your shop but I will do my best to send you any extra thing I have or make you any thing you need .

Sam and Family

Best Reguards and Highly Blessed By the Good Lords Grace

All may not be lost. The tools; hammers/tongs/punches/chisels/etc. should still be useable, even a softened anvil can be redone. I have loosened up many a frozen set of tongs, and repaired other damaged tools back to working condition. Before writing everything off, I would carefully re-sort through the debris, and pull out all of the tools, and materials. If you have some friends, or a local smithing group, ask them to help with the process. MAny times when we do something by ourselves it is too overwheming, but if we have help it isn't really that bad. Invite them over, do the work, then have a BBQ. Having friends over who you can count on is a great comfort, and being cheered up won't hurt either. As to metal items that are totally ruined for their original purpose, maybe they can become an artistic sculpture,or made into something else, it's the whole lemos into lemonade thing. To get started again all you need is a heat source, a hammer, and something to use as an anvil. My smithy is open air,and very simple.

I am not a religious person, so I can't help you on the Biblical side of things, but you do have my condolences. Hope to hear soon about your progress.

Alan, God may not take us from the storm but he will be with you in the storm. You and your family are in my prayers.

I don't have that much compared to most but what I have I will share because it all belongs to God anyway. Where are you located?

Mark <><

Alan,
After reading all the offers for tools and other help, I had an idea. Set up a paypal account so those that can and want to help can send a few bucks your way. A few dollars at a time adds up and you should be able to buy most of what you need locally. It would also save on shipping and for those of us far away from you it might mean the difference between wanting to help and being able to help.

Yesterday's sermon had the phrase "it is difficult to steer a parked car"

What do you want to do with the space and the time? Maybe a new shop and teaching is a thought. Maybe planting a tree and some grass and finding another purpose to occupy your time is another thought.

I wish you the best.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the offers of help, donations, and kind words. This is a big part of what I love about this brotherhood. I have never been associated with a better group of people in my life.I do have a paypal account under the name Alan Brazzel . I don't expect any donations, just the fact that it was mentioned makes my heart soar. If you want to donate, all donations will be greatly appreciated. My wife figured replacing equipment that was lost would set us back more than we can afford. Once again, thank you all.