I Forge Iron

Blacksmith - standing problems

Glenn

Sometimes things happen where a blacksmith can no longer work as he once did. This is usually related to mobility or standing in one place for any length of time. There are others that have physical problems that would like to start blacksmithing, but the tools are too tall, too heavy, or whatever. Let's start a discussion on ways and ideas to address these problems.

To start, how would a blacksmith that could not stand for a long period of time change things so he could still work in his shop? Would a bar stool to sit / lean against help? What about a wooden Block / box to place on foot on to rest the leg by changing position?

Any suggestions?

I like the well placed bar stools that Dodge mentioned.
For time when you just have to stand in one spot on a cement floor they sell those heavy/dense foam mats. Time spent on a concrete/cement floor really takes a toll on ones back, feet & legs. Yes some of the fleas and dropped iron may melt it a bit it, but I think it is worth it.
(Thinking out loud....Would they work as well on a hard packed dirt floor or packed stone floor? Maybe!)
Tim

The first thing that comes to mind is the videos I've seen (youtube, google, etc. ) of Asian smiths actually sitting on the floor while they work. Of course then you have to get back up off of the floor:) As far as a barstool, I could definitely see one of those leaning type fishing seats that they put on bass boats being an ideal solution.
-Aaron @ the SCF

The blacksmith shop at Rock Ledge Ranch historic park had a soft dirt floor that formed paths reflecting the working patterns of the smiths. The uneven floor was the best surface I have ever worked on. Anvil hight was adjusted with a pile of dirt and a shovel.;)

Some of the Asian smiths work in a pit with the anvil on the ground so could conceivably work a while and lean back against the edge of the hole. Of course, you have to get in and out of the pit.

We had an old fellow in our group some years ago who had polio as a child and walked with those arm support crutches that go up to the elbow. He also had a small seat with a single leg that he carried so he could lean back and rest. He was standing on his two legs but the third one gave him something to brace against.

I can still stand for long periods but typically sit on a stool at the power hammer or when doing bench work. As Brian said, a foot rest goes a long way to reducing fatigue.

Those restaurant "fatigue" mats are great for a non-slip floor covering. They have 3/4" holes in them to let water, etc.. go through. They can be had for free from the restaurants when they get a bit beat up. (Talk to the chef) I usually have to cut them to size anyway, so the missing chunks are not a problem. They have thinner (3/8") hard as a rock, cheap knock-offs at the big box stores. They look similar, but are not near the quality of even a used good mat.

I know a smith that has one leg that gives him trouble. He has his anvil mounted to a stump with a crotch of a large limb left on. He rests his knee in it and still is as close to the anvil as can be. Takes the weight off the lower leg and ankle while still putting his own weight on the knee.

My 2 cents agree with CurlyGeorge's reply. I have a concrete floor and foot problems (they are flat and absolutely KILL me after a while). I bought 4 or 5 industrial quality rubber mats from a surplus place. One is in front of my anvil, another in front of my workbench vise, another by the power hammer, etc. Helps tremendously! And when you drop a piece of hot iron, the smell of burning rubber alerts you to its whereabouts!

I've tried sitting on a barstool/industrial shop stool but that only works for me when at the vise, welding, etc.

I have found the biggest contributions to fatigue in the shop are poor foot-wear, unsuitable floor, and an unsuitable height for work items. The poor footwear should be a no-brainer, adjusting the work height is a little more touchy, though can be done with a little patience, an unsuitable floor may be somewhat more difficult to solve. There are many ways to help you with your floor, anything from a gravel floor, shale, etc.. It is important to make only one change at a time.

I won't call this a solution as much as an observation, but three years ago i went on a Mission trip to Mali, West Africa. I was suprisized to find the smiths there sitting. The main one I watched working was sitting on a car rim with a board across it. The anvil was on the ground and the forge was a side blast also built in ground. I had rather stand, sitting like he was would kill my back. I'll have to see if I can find some of the pictures and scan them so I can post them. I took these before i had a digital camera