I Forge Iron

Commercial mistake

My daughter drove a Junior Dragster for four years. Last year a TV production company hired by popular TV channel wanted to do a TV reality show depicting kids with more "wholesome, down to earth" values. They wanted to get away form the jersy shore type of programming. IMO theyt hit a goldmine. Dragracers I know are much like all of the blacksmiths I know. Honest, trustworty, sportsmanlike, willing to lend a helping hand to anyone who needs it. These kids are great and nothing like the teenagers youd see wandering the mall. After a week of shooting footage, conducting interviews, etc, my daughter told me they wanted to create a "rivalry" between the kids. I knew it would be down hill from there. In the end they left and the production never took off. The demo tape said it all. The opening line started out with a girl saying Hertford North Carolina is the most boring place on earth. Nothing could be further from the truth. Goes to show that wholesome and honesty was not what they wanted or at least thats not what would sell.

There's gotta be DRAMA! Seriously, what TV producer worth his cuppochino would produce a show without drama. When was the last time a show was done that didn't have some contrived drama as it's core? I used to hang with drag racers, worked at San Fernando Drag strip and the biggest drama I remember seeing is when Tony Nancy's wedge dragster lost a clutch and cut part of his foot off. Lots of drama as folk ran to the rescue. Oh yeah, there WAS the time when some dunce in a street car parked too close to Art Arfons Green Monster and got turned into part of the show. no, the driver wasn't in his car, he couldn't see from his car. Good thing eh?

Oh yeah, there was the time Tex Collins wife dropped the transmission into reverse at about 140mph. Blew itsy bitsy pieces all over the place, no injuries except to her pride. The DRAMA came in when Tex found out she was okay and started laughing so hard we thought he was going to puke. His wife beat the snot out of him, didn't stop him from laughing though.

Drag strip drama is good drama. too bad TV folk don't know drip about good.

Frosty The Lucky.

O yea there was a ton of drama!! But they wanted the relationship he said she said drama/gossip, not action footage or the thrill of the lights and performance of the teams or what it takes to cut that .000 light. That was my point when i said they hit a gold mine cause there certainly is a lot going on at the track and these kids are truely sportsmen when the rubber meets the road.

• 2 months later...

Reminds me of a good one .....

When the nervous passenger asks the Pilot of the damaged aircraft, "How far will this plane take us" ?

"All the way to the scene of the crash".

Who says there are no stupid questions ? :P

I am not certain but I believe that it was a Marines commercial and it would be somewhat referring to the final test to become a Marine called the Crucible. It is a several day, many many miles of hiking with stagged challenges with no sleep and one MRE a day. It is real challenging and a real matter of pride when you complete it and you are finally called a Marine for the first time instead of a recruit. Take no offense for the reference since it is a metaphor for creating something new and stronger from something weak and old.

Semper Fi

Shawn

Yes, we're getting back to the original "forged in the crucible" which is a horrible metaphor. The crucible by itself, indicates a trial. You become proved in a crucible, you get tested. Think of an assayist for example, using a crucible to test an ore. I, for one, do not want to get inside of a crucible of molten metal and forge something. Forging involves smiting, not melting.

yes its just verbally very slack - youd have thought that the army as an institution' date=' should be a first rate user of language and metaphor as an example to all their little recruits...! :) (will this make a good soldier - i dont know actually...) your right though macbruce - nobody (but blacksmiths and those interested in accurate use of language ) will notice... :([/quote']

They should, at least. From what I understand, the military used to be held to a pretty high standard in all things, literary and morally. I mean no offense to the military now, but that standard is no longer in place from all indicators I can see.

They should, at least. From what I understand, the military used to be held to a pretty high standard in all things, literary and morally. I mean no offense to the military now, but that standard is no longer in place from all indicators I can see.

Just remember a few things when making statements like above, one poor choices have always been made but now it can be instantly viewed on so many types of media which haven't always been. Second no matter what part of society you look at there is always bad eggs that will not truly learn and change to accept what is being taught. The military still teach the same principles based on honor and integrity but like I said before there will always be people that talk the talk but when no one is watching.... You get my point. And finally, which it is my said opinion to say is that as a society we are not anywhere near who we were 30-50 years ago. I am only in my early thirties but have said for a few years that most people my age and younger do not understand honor and what it means to say something and shake a hand and stand behind that word. There are always pleasant surprises but are often overshadowed by unpleasant ones.

Sorry to run on about this but I have a few lifelong friends from my time in the Marine Corps, and absolutely no offense was taken from anything said.

Just remember a few things when making statements like above, one poor choices have always been made but now it can be instantly viewed on so many types of media which haven't always been. Second no matter what part of society you look at there is always bad eggs that will not truly learn and change to accept what is being taught. The military still teach the same principles based on honor and integrity but like I said before there will always be people that talk the talk but when no one is watching.... You get my point. And finally, which it is my said opinion to say is that as a society we are not anywhere near who we were 30-50 years ago. I am only in my early thirties but have said for a few years that most people my age and younger do not understand honor and what it means to say something and shake a hand and stand behind that word. There are always pleasant surprises but are often overshadowed by unpleasant ones.

Sorry to run on about this but I have a few lifelong friends from my time in the Marine Corps, and absolutely no offense was taken from anything said.

I'm glad to hear no offense was taken, as I meant none. What you say is very true, and I have many people that I look up to that have been in the military. However, if you look at the US military as an institution, they have become lax in the standards they hold servicemen to, opting instead for a policy that belies a worldview in which people should not be held to any objective standards. I believe this is a sign of the society as a whole, as the same can be said of civilians as well. I believe, however, that the military should hold themselves to a higher standard of excellence in conduct, behaviour, and integrity both personally through conviction, as well as officially through regulations. Again, I mean no slight to any who has served in our military, a sacrifice for which I am forever thankful. Neither am I slamming the military as so many wrongly do.

Re Ads: ads are trying to sell you stuff, it's a given, right? So when someone misrepresents themselves, basically showing that they know nothing about what they are supposed to "be"; that is supposed to make us feel that they know *SQUAT* about what they are selling?

As an example: a person shows they can't tell the difference between a wrench and a hammer then advises us to buy XYZ tools as they are *better*----how the heck would he *know*?