I Forge Iron

Its not missing now!!

keithh999

well the new (old) forge is done and ready to fire up tomorrow now that ive rearranged the shop to support the way bigger forge!!
attached are pics of before , during, and after the rebuild. replaced main flywheel shaft and poured new babbett bearings and made new internals for the one way clutch hub (took several trips to the belt sander to get the correct geometry on the drive teeth). Either wire wheeled or electro-derusted the entire thing and really let loose with the primer and paint!! New legs and new hardware and new belting and the main flywheel belt is 7 ft long!! Forge was a freebie and dropped maybe $80 in new material. dished out a 14" steel doughnut for the new firepot and fabbed a new tuyere out of some 3' pipe with a 2" stub going into the throat of the blower. Even highlighted the Champion logo on the casing. Looks good i think!!

Keith
MMM Fab & Forge

post-969-0-33326000-1333164589_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-16933600-1333164598_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-77455600-1333164606_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-59934500-1333164619_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-74840700-1333164630_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-20660100-1333164642_thumb.jpg

post-969-0-17422400-1333164652_thumb.jpg

Fantastic! Keith, I am impressed. Paint job on it really looks good and like Phil, I like the yellow blades in the blower and the lettering highlights. I did the same with my old lever forge that I restored about 5yrs ago. Pat' April 6, 1886 and found the pat. on a google search and printed it off. I love it when folks take a little time to bring something like this back to life. Great job!

taking the legs off was a chore but a few shots of PB Blaster and a torch allowed it to creep enough so that a pipe wrench and piece of pipe as a cheater was able to unscrew them...hint...jockey the leg back and forth as in screw in and then unscrew...helps to break the rust bond. make new threaded legs from 1" gas pipe...not 1" schedule 40 pipe.

Thanks for all the kind remarks guys!! having ones peers acknowledge an accomplishment is a real pleasure!!

Keith
MMM Fab & Forge

Nice job on the rebuild, I left mine unpainted. I did modify the legs to put two steel antique wheelbarrow wheels on it so mine is portable and what I use for demo's. One difference in the two mine has a rod with open hook ends between the lever and the counterweight arm, it came that way, but was damaged adn I made a new one to replace the old one. I am not going to take any pictures of mine though cause it aint got a pretty paint job on it....... yet!

• 4 months later...

I'd like to see the clutch pictures, if You took it apart. I'm fixing to redo. A Buffalo No. 0 this fall. Since temps have dropped enough I can stay in the shop longer now. Been a long hot summer in Dixie.