I Forge Iron

new project

rider666

Hello!

I am finishing these project for a customer.....youst need to grind some welds and clean it. How mouch money should i get for it? (the coustomer bought the material). the dimenzions are: 124cm x 55xm and the height is 60cm
Thanx
dsc00275.jpg
dsc00276.jpg
dsc00278.jpg
dsc00279.jpg

At a minium. 3 times the cost of the material plus the cost of fuel.

I would think that is a way inadequate estimate, particularly as the client provided the materials.

My personal experience is that the material costs were usually 10% to 20% of the overal costs, there is a fair amount of drilling and rivetting in there

Not knowing what your countries labour rates it is difficult to put a price on.

What do other (professional) makers of this type of item charge (per hour) in your area?

If you don't know what your hourly costs are, this is a good guide as to what you should be charging in a level market place, if you don't, you will not be in a good financial state to have a lasting business.

Use that as a base, and multiply it by the time you took to complete the job and that should give you a good approximation of the cost, add any other costs, delivery, installation etc

Don't undersell yourself, or think you wouldn't pay that much for it, you can make it, your client cannot.

I hope you achieve a satsfactory outcome.

Material + hours does not allow for profit, thats the cost of production. Many people forget that important fact. I don't Know the money exchange but that is a beautiful piece, I'm sure $ 2,500 to $ 4,000 is in the range. It looks like it goes in a left corner?

Nice work! I go by my shop hourly rate X the hours to produce the item. Make sure you look at all your costs! Overhead-if you are a hobby guy it still costs you for the space. What percentage of your place is your shop space-it costs you for that space regardless if you rent or own. Quality work deserves quality money.
P.S. How about a close up of that iron object in the background?

I really like the barrel beasty thing, it has life and a bit of humor.

Pricing is the most important learning curve you have to climb, even more so than learning the craft. I price by shop rate x time adjusting by my profinciency at specifics. Meaning I don't charge full price if I'm not up to professional levels, fair's fair. Also, overhead is calculated in my shop rate, heat being a biggy and averaged over the year.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice work indeed.

The forged ring alone took good amount of time (even with a fixture on a solid table). Even with an ironworker, shear and a press the rest of the project would take good amount of time. The attention to square and plumb is large. I see no evidence of a hoist or crane which means moving with help or a lift truck. This unit is not a light one. The mathematics (and/or guessing as I do a lot of times) is worth a lot in skill (engineering). The project is at the point where it can be ready for finish (which you didn't mention other than cleanup). Finish alone can take large time.

Your skills are indeed good and should be charged for. By the way, your twist work is exceptional.

What a treat this is to view a project like this. We are reading in English (which is likely NOT the builders native tongue) that was typed through a translator. We who have shop experience do understand the processes involved (even if I can't read the label on the MIG). The pictures speak for themselves.

IF there is a company close that has a staff and could build like this from prints in a week or so, you might see if you could get a price on their work. This price would of course be a guideline only as a small shop rate is different. A Large shop without a smith however would build this using fabrication skills (which would not give them what you have built by hand). Please don't take me wrong, I know some sharp fab people and welders.

• 2 weeks later...

i really like your work, im very into the darker side of art, once i get better at the art then i will deffinately be doing a lot of macab style stuff, im a big fan of hr giger. i first saw his work when i was a small child and to say i was very taken by his work would be an understatement. very nice stuff rider666