I Forge Iron

Cast Iron Post Vise?

timM

Does anyone have clear knowledge on the use of cast iron in the construction of these vises? I am trying to determine if there was an era where forged components gave way to cast components / construction?

I would be pleased to hear any comments that may help piece together something of an evolution of the construction material used to make these sturdy vises. Regards, tim

I have seen many post vises I have never seen one made from cast iron. I doubt a cast iron leg vise would be strong enough to not break at the hole where the screw passed thru. In later vises the mounting bracket and the box were made from cast iron. Those were the only parts that I know of that were cast. I am sure people tried because it would have been a cost savings over forged vices. My guess is that the machinist vise may have evolved partly because desire to make a cast iron vise that was cheaper being that the leg vise was a more labor intensive and used more expensive wrought iron and steel in its construction.

The only exception is probably the FISHER double screw vises. They are cast, with steel jaws. The screws are steel. The thread box is machined into the cast iron. Their mounting plate is part of the casting.

I do have a few traditional vises with cast iron mounting plates, usually with the manufacturers name cast in. That is the only part that is cast. The rest is forged.

On December 27, 2011 at 5:49 AM, njanvilman said:
The only exception is probably the FISHER double screw vises. They are cast, with steel jaws. The screws are steel. The thread box is machined into the cast iron. Their mounting plate is part of the casting. I do have a few traditional vises with cast iron mounting plates, usually with the manufacturers name cast in. That is the only part that is cast. The rest is forged.

If some one started making the Fisher vices again but used ductile iron instead of cast iron it sure would be slick! Have the pattens run out of the vices? Do you think maybe one of these folks that cast the ductile swage blocks might give it a try?

First I would like to say "Thanks" for all the reply's.

A recent search referencing "Peter Wright's Solid Screw Box Patent" came away with a online book printed in 1853 titled "Official catalogue of the New-York exhibition of the industry of all nations" within it mentioned Peter Wrights solid screw box .........

What that means, I'm not sure (smile) guess at least anyone able to use his patent or willing to infringe was using a solid box by that point in time. I am going to spend some time looking at reproduced advertisements n see if there any dots to connect. Cheers, tim

• 5 years later...

It's alive....that is this thread and a cast post vise!

I picked this up today off of CL.  While inspecting jaw alignment and the screw box, it didn't occur to me to check for mold lines! Also, check out the integrated pipe clamp below the jaws.  

The only marking I could find on it was the 50 and something on the loose collar that may or may not have been original equipment.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The mold line is the tell tale sign.  THis doesn't appear to be the result of a fullering die.  Also it was discretely put on the inside of the back leg.  I'm sure I could find more if I looked more.  

image.jpg

Looks like a closed die flash line. The mounting bracket is cast and maybe the pipe jaws but I doubt strongly the rest is. Is there any lettering, trademark, etc. cast proud?

Frosty The Lucky.

Duh, of course I wasn't thinking drop forged but there you go.  I think y'all are right!  No other markings that I could discern.  

I've seen only open die forged post vices it just didn't occur to me.