I Forge Iron

Bladesmithing in Baton Rouge

luke978

I'm not sure how close they are to you but the President of the 'Gulf Coast Blacksmith Assoc.' is a bladesmith and he has a few photos on their web site. to contact him here; http://gulfcoastblacksmith.com/contact/ There are a few other bladesmiths in this group and I'm sure Chuck can get you their contact info.
Also you can check the LAMA group; http://lametalsmiths.org/events.htm You will need to go to their "Join LAMA" button and then click on the pdf form link to find a contact person, I don't have his permission to post that info here. Good luck

Open forge went well today. We had two coal forges and the nat gas forge hot ! Two new blacksmiths and Carl Zvonek came. Carl is a very good artist blacksmith who regularly has a sales boot at the local arts market where his iron art sells fast. No one got hurt, and NOTHING was stolen. I am willing to do it again next and every Saturday morning.

• 5 years later...
25 minutes ago, JHCC said:

May his memory be eternal.

And may he continue to inspire new smiths and get plenty of visitors.

Welcome aboard New Guy, glad to have you. How about a better web handle, "New Guy" was worn out probably 35,000 members ago. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

If you'll post your itinerary here you'll probably get shop invites from some of the gang. We're generally a pretty likable and hospitable bunch.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 year later...

Perhaps pick up a copy of Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop"?

I once built a complete beginner's set up: forge, blower, anvil, basic tools for under US$25 so if you want to forge blades it can be done relatively inexpensively.

Have you contacted any local ABANA Affiliate in your area?

• 3 years later...
On 12/23/2011 at 6:35 AM, Old N Rusty said:

Hey homie! Drop by the forge anytime, especially Saturday mornings for OPEN FORGE! It should not be difficult to find our address as Arnold & Anvil is the ONLY listing under blacksmiths in the Baton Rouge fone book. Welcome!

Are you still an active bladesmith?

On 4/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, Cpldeath said:

I would like to learn knife making, but dont want to spend the money on the equipment and be total crap at it.  Any suggestions?  I live in the BR area

Are you actively forging?

Hey, BayouSlim, and welcome to IFI. If you look farther up on the thread, you'll see that Old N Rusty died several years ago, and Cpldeath only posted once almost four years ago. If you're looking for other bladesmiths in your area, I'd recommend adding your location to your profile settings and making a new post in the "Introduce Yourself" section, making sure to mention that you want to connect with local folks.

BayouSlim,

I recommend you join Louisiana Metalsmiths Association,LAMA, we’re having a conference in Lafayette March 11&12, all information is on our website. We have monthly meetings, at different members locations with open forges for members to participate and learn the craft. 
we have several blade smith’s in our group, as well as other groups in our area that come to our meetings or we have joint meetings with