I Forge Iron

No anvils in Alaska? What to use for substitute.

Thank you Frosty, I would appreciate that as well. I am really anxious and motivated to learn this new craft. Oh and teenylittlemetalguy, I still need to call you, I was so busy today I forgot but I'll give you a call tomorrow if thats good with you. Today I took a trip back to the farthest point on Fort Richardson and I found some railroad spikes, plates, huge bolts, and some railroad rail. The railroad rail piece I found is two rails bolted end to end which makes it way heavier and thicker. I can definitely feel the difference when I hit it with a hammer. I am going to mount the rail to a railroad tie using the railroad plates and railroad spikes. I also found a solid steel round that I could weld to the end of the rail to act as a horn. I was also thinking of welding a 2" thick by 4.5" 12" long piece of forklift tine to the top of the railroad rail. Altogether that would give me at least over 100 pounds of steel under the working surface.

I also chopped up an old '88 F-150 and Im going to be saving all the good steel (leafsprings, coilsprings, sway bars, etc.) from that but Ill probably sell parts and with that money buy a torch and make myself a little gas forge. I'll also use the drum brake from the truck to build a coal forge using black iron pipe and either an electric leaf blower with a gate or a blow dryer. Other then that, just slowing start acquiring hammers, tongs, and blacksmithing tools as I can. I'll keep you guys updated as I move along.

Here is the pic of the railroad rail
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/Perato/photo13.jpg

That looks like it will work fine.
I can help you set up a gas forge using frosty's burner design. Or I am sure he can show you the basics if you head out there. I have built many of his burners for under $20 a piece. Insulating blocks are cheap. the biggest expense is the regulator.
I use my little gas forge about 90% of the time. Saves a lot of fuel over running the big gas forge.
call me any time.

• 8 years later...

I see that this post is a few years old but I thought it would be worthwhile to let everyone know that you can purchase anvils in Alaska. C & R Pipe and Steel up in Fairbanks, AK does stock Cliff Carroll anvils. And they are all reasonable in pricing. 

Welcome aboard sasans, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many IFI members live within visiting distance. I've never understood why folks in the interior have so much better access to things like smithing tools and supplies. Coal in Anchorage? HAH! Anvils if you like cast iron ASOs. Occasionally there's an exception but it's rare.

Does C&R offer a selection of weights? Can you still buy smithing coal locally?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, sasans said:

I see that this post is a few years old but I thought it would be worthwhile to let everyone know that you can purchase anvils in Alaska. C & R Pipe and Steel up in Fairbanks, AK does stock Cliff Carroll anvils. And they are all reasonable in pricing. 

Thank you I just saw your post I will be checking it out!!!!! 

Why not just use a big block of mild steel? Mild steel (low carbon steel) was used for anvils for thousands of years and works just fine. A harder anvil will give more rebound but will still be prone to denting and chipping. I've thought about getting an anvil with a hard face but from a cost perspective it does not make much sense. As long as you don't miss with a mild steel anvil it won't dent and they surely won't chip on you. Any piece of heavy steel you hammer on is an anvil. The thing that comes to mind when we hear the word anvil has only been around for 200 or so odd years and is not the best anvil design for every type of forging. 

Pikers!  Down here we put the stock into the forge to cool it down after it's been laying in the summer sun!

Frosty; how much longer before you can break up the propane into chunks and use it in a solid fuel forge?

(Still sleeping with a fan in our bedroom window as of last night!)