I Forge Iron

It HAS to be a Type-o-

Yea, I wouldn't mind having that in the shop, but it's just a bit out of my range.

Why would anyone pay that price when you could get several new anvils for the same money? Even as a collector piece, it's just not worth it.

I think he is a bit high but not as high as you guys think... I bet that thing would bring $8,000 maybe even $10,000... And who knows maybe someone would pay $14,000 It is almost impossible to find a 700+ anvil and when you do they are almost always beat to death... Ive seen junk anvils in that size range sell for over 5 grand...

From a working smith standpoint... yes it is ridiculous... But from a collector standpoint its just at the top end of range... Its like someone with a 1978 Corvette asking $45,000... You could say "dude, you lost your mind! You can buy a 78 vett all day long for $5000!" But they guy has a factory LT8 in a rare color and it has all the original paperwork and 500 miles on the clock... Somebody just might pay him $45K

What this guy has is almost impossible to come by... A very very nice condition 700lb anvil... How many of you have a 700lb plus anvil that has never been dressed? Heck any anvil that hasn't been dressed for that matter?

How many of you have a 700lb plus anvil that has never been dressed? Heck any anvil that hasn't been dressed for that matter?

75 kilo kohlshwa in mint condition I paid $200 for, maybe the guy used it 3 or 4 times before figuring knifemaking wasnt his gig.
Rob

Yeah.... Now dont get me wrong on this either... If I had the money and I was in the market and I was a anvil collector There is no way I would consider paying any thing like $14K for a 700lb Fisher.... Now if it was the 1400lb Fisher on the top of the stack in that semi famous photo.... Well I would dream about it anyway..

Im just saying dont knock the guy... He has something pretty special and he wants huge money for it... So what... If it was mine Id either hold on to it or put a "make me sell" price on it too... He is asking around double what I would say is a price he might hope to get... But like I said there is no way to rule out some guy with loads of dough who wants it... stranger things have happened

If I'm not mistaken, the Fisher museum run by njanvilman is missing the 700 pound model and that might be the ONLY model that he is missing. If it's that rare, it might be worth it to someone...

He also has a 'Make and Offer' option, so $14k might not be the selling price.

Yes, the anvil is in very nice condition, plus it is 700 lbs, but for $14,000 a bit out of my price range. However someone else might be skipping all the way to the bank thinking they got a good deal. Just my 2 cents.

If I'm not mistaken, the Fisher museum run by njanvilman is missing the 700 pound model and that might be the ONLY model that he is missing. If it's that rare, it might be worth it to someone...

He also has a 'Make and Offer' option, so $14k might not be the selling price.

If the 700 lb size is the only size he's missing dose that mean he has the 1400 pound monster at the top of the stack in the 1876 exposition? I would like to see some pictures of that anvil!

$20.00/ lb but only $150.00 shipping- he will loose on the shipping end I bet.

Maybe, maybe not. I was quoted $35 (!) to ship a skid with a keg of chain LTL from Toledo to Florida. This was a few years ago, about 2006 or 2007. There were fork trucks at both ends and it was from a business to a business. I am fairly sure the keg was in the same weight ballpark since 3 kegs on a skid gave my fork truck "power steering" so to speak, as it was a 2000# capacity fork. Made braking interesting too. The company I worked for did a fair bit of shipping with the LTL provider, and had a national account.

Incidentally shipping a much lighter (say 50#) item via UPS or FedEx was much more expensive than the keg, which is why it stuck.

Please excuse the insomnia post.

Phil

Let us put this into prospective, cash a reality check if you will.

If you are a hobby blacksmith, the 700 pound anvil costing 14K is most likely out of your reach. If you had the anvil, you would be afraid to use it, for feat you would put the first ding in the face.

If you have disposable income, today it would seem a better choice to invest the $14k in an anvil than the stock market. Remember when the stock market was as 14,000 +/- and then dropped below 10 and is now at 12,100? That anvil still weighs 700 pounds.

If you are a business, the 700 pound anvil costing 14KIt is a piece of equipment that is needed for the operation of the business, or for advertising the business, etc. 14K is an expense that can be depreciated and written off.

Now to cash the reality check.
You expect to pay 20K to up to 60K for a new or slightly used vehicle that will loose 1/3 or more of it's value as soon as you drive it off the lot. The new car is NOT expected to last 10 years. For 15K you can get a used car that was kept in a garage, and owned by a grandmother type that did not smoke, and only drove it to church on Sunday and maybe the Wednesday night prayer service.
--->To own a base model sedan (16K) for 5 years costs $33,982 <--- Do the math here

14K is a years rent in some places.

14K is minimum wage.

14K IS NOT the selling price of the anvil, it is a advertising gimmick to get more people talking, and therefore more people looking at the advertisement in hopes of landing the *BIG FISH* with deep pockets.The *BIG FISH* then brags about buying a 14K anvil and only paying $X.oo.

And, the FINAL cost of the anvil is a one time, live time investment. There is no upkeep, no additional expenses, nothing else to buy.

Yes Glen there is always someone willing to pay... The trick is finding them. As far as reality- Blacksmithing is in vogue these days kinda like collecting old woodworking tools was in the 80's and early 90's. This to shall change. Call me the optimistic pessimist.

If and when I have another $14k to invest in my shop again I will invest it in the biggest anvil I can find but it will have a hammer, a motor and weight close to 10k pounds...

Wow, I'm bitter this morning! I guess it has to do with trying to buy wood working tools during the 80's and 90' while I was cutting my teeth as a furniture maker....

Makes me feel a whole lot better about blowing US$350 for a near mint 515# fisher originally used in a Blacker powerhammer...

Isn't the anvil display from the Centennial Exhibition at the Smithsonian? ISTR seeing it there along with a lovely steam hammer back a decade of two ago.

This is what he posted on the sold page. Sure was pretty.

This ANVIL is SOLD and no longer available for purchase.

The ANVIL can be viewed, touched, photographed, & drooled on at the HISTORIC Fisher Museum in Trenton, NJ. This 700 pound Fisher completes the Collection of Museum Curator, Joshua Kavett's large collection of Fisher anvils......of ALL sizes made. To see this Spectacular site, please visit Mr. Kavett's Museum at your earliest convenience.....it is sure a site to see and should be put on ANY Anvil Enthusiast's Bucket List!!!

Thank you for viewing my auction.