I Forge Iron

Hammer Prices

jmeineke

With gas prices pushing $4.00 per gallon, are you really balking at $5 for a hammer that you'll have the rest of your life to use? What are the prices for a new one at a big box store, or say a custom made hammer($85-130ish) or a pattern welded hammer ($800+).

Pushing? Heck, we're at $4.15 right now where I'm at. I'm just hoping it doens't go any higher.

Thanks for puting it into perspective, thought. You're right - the last hammer I bought at the store ran me about 20 something.

I just walked away with 11 hammers (mostly ball-peen) for $40, so I paid $3.63 a piece. They need a bit of work but I think I got a heck of a deal. Elbow grease is still pretty cheap.

There are a ton of things you can do with one of these; hawks form the larger ones, gring patterns in the hammer face for texturing(I have one for a 'wood' texture), make different shapes on the ball end for stamping designs into projects--hearts, stars, diamonds, and so forth--just soften the face some to avoid causing chips to fly when struck with another hammer. This is just a few ideas, the list goes on and on and on....

It's all what you are willing to pay. If it is a really nice hammer $4 to $5 isn't bad, however I'm still only paying $1 to $1.50 for nice jewelry/silversmithing hammers at estate sales and if it's really nice and someone else is after it I will go as high as $20 even if the handle is bad but the head good. A really good quality head in need of a handle is not a problem at all for me, handles are considered consumables for me! I have quit actively blacksmithing but boy it is hard to pass up a decent tool if you know what I mean. I bought a coopers band driving tool that doesn't look like it was struck more than a dozen times for $2, such a deal, why they had it I have no idea but there it was. If it is what you want, pay the price and be happy :D

Firewood pile and a drawknife? You have pecan where you are don't you? Good stuff, comparable to hickory.

Glenn is right the ones that are taped up under the head I am sure are split at least partially. It could be that a mechanic was using them and preventively taped because of mis-hitting, but not too likely.

You also have several different handle sizes going on. Have fun, that is a couple hours of work even with pre-made handles. They never fit right without fuss.

Phil

With gas prices pushing $4.00 per gallon, are you really balking at $5 for a hammer that you'll have the rest of your life to use? What are the prices for a new one at a big box store, or say a custom made hammer($85-130ish) or a pattern welded hammer ($800+).

I can spit and hit a refinery and gas here is $5 a gallon. Hammers I can get at the local pawn shop for a buck. It costs me more to go get the hammer than the cost of that hammer.

I have a set buy point for ballpeens: US$1 a piece, any not totally trashed get bough at that price and go into my "bucket of hammers" to be used as stock, or a new smith might high grade a couple for use at $2 apiece.

This is here in NM BTW where tools are a lot scarcer than in OH. (South High Fleamarket in Columbus was *heaven*! It was a working drive in so dealers had to load and unload every day and so had encouragement to get rid of heavy stuff cheap).

I generally buy the head assuming the handle will be worthless. (one time the dealer kept wanting $$ for the new handle he had put in the hammer---so I pulled it out and handed it to him and asked "how much for just the head?" Totally bad job of putting a handle in and it couldn't be "saved" so it was worthless even if it was "new".

I buy handles at the fleamarket whenever I find them. Check for straightness and grain run out, don't worry about cosmetic issues as you will probably want to re-do the grip area anyway.

Guess I've been looking in all the wrong places. It's been easier for me to find anvils than hammers, so I was pretty pleased with these when they turned up. I've been just asking around for hammers like I do for anvils, but that hasn't worked for me. I saw these on CL and jumped.

Thomas - thanks for reminding me of the south drive-in. You told me about it a long time ago and I completely forgot about it. I may try to get out there tomorrow if the weather holds out.

Don't know if it's still there as there was talk of developing the land; but I was a faithful visitor 3 times a week Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday mornings 1989-1994.

I bought tongs, anvils, postvises there; it's where I got my leads on other anvils including my 515# Fisher!

Thomas

A good blacksmiths ballpeen is a real find at a flea/garage sale. Socketed handle hole like a claw hammer. not a squashed ball like a machinists hammer. The peen is set closer to the handle than a machinists hammer, and more domed shape than round.I have a 16 oz and a 32 oz both from garage sales.I think Plumb made them. Jerryco Surplus used to sell hammer handles. Pecan is good, but I think hickory is the best. You might try peanut tree wood.

I fully understand the cheap at a flea market or garage sale price, but to get a real custom made hammer according to the specs you want, look to pay $125 or better...that's for a ready to hit hammer without modification or finishing....

• 1 month later...